pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
12 years ago
It does seem that quite a few people I know who are interested in photography as well as VW's, so I thought this would be a good idea for a thread.

It's for discussing anything to do with photography and how it relates to VWs (not for example talking about portrait photography which would be off-topic).

Anything from talking about digital vs film, lens choices for shows etc. post processing such as HDR, photos you'd like to know how they were done, whatever - so long as it's VW related. Any level of experience is welcome, if you just have a point and shoot or if you have pro-kit, or maybe you are a pro.

In the Spring sometime, I would love to try my hand at a 'photoshoot' - so anyone who has a nice Vintage VW who would be up for it, please let me know :thumbup:

UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago
How would YOU approach a photoshoot Rob. Do you think they need to be adventurous or would you simply make them illustrative?

Shooting for a magazine I imagine would pressurise you to look for a fresh angle but in reality, it's all been done before.
John.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago
I think it's a delicate balance, too adventurous less people will like them, but too illustrative and it starts becoming a bit samey. True most things have been done before, I think it's more important that it's well executed rather than completely original.

Shows are quite difficult really, if you don't look for interesting angles or interesting compositions then the I often find than I come home with several almost identical photos - a tad too illustrative!!

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
six-o-one
12 years ago
I think most people seem to approach photography at shows as just cataloging what was there rather than trying to be creative.

I'm planning on doing some location shots of my oval once the weather gets a bit better so you're welcome to come along with your camera and we can compare results.

Do you still have your black cabrio? That would be another good subject.

Malc
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

Do you still have your black cabrio? That would be another good subject.

six-o-one wrote:

Doh! Why didn't I think of that... :rofl:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago
If you're submitting pictures to a magazine or in this case a catalogue always slip in nice pictorial shot in portrait format. It's a subtle way of saying you might like to use this for your front cover without actually saying it.:wink:

Of course it also helps to know the owner of the store.:roll:  h-o-g-front-cover.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
John.
six-o-one
12 years ago

If you're submitting pictures to a magazine or in this case a catalogue always slip in nice pictorial shot in portrait format. It's a subtle way of saying you might like to use this for your front cover without actually saying it.:wink:

Of course it also helps to know the owner of the store.:roll:

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

It does rather! :d

UserPostedImage

lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

It does rather! :d

UserPostedImage

six-o-one wrote:

Haha...seems like there not much that get past you Malcolm.

John.
Si Med
12 years ago
Nice thread, I work as a photographer but very rarely shoot cars... I would post up some images but none are stock :twisted:
54 UK rhd
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

Nice thread, I work as a photographer but very rarely shoot cars... I would post up some images but none are stock :twisted:

Si Med wrote:

I'm prepared to make an exception in this instance, as long as they're pre '67 :wink: Lets see what you've got...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Si Med
12 years ago
Nice one Rob haha, ok a little background on them. Both were shot on a nikon D3 with a 70-200 2.8 and a 17-35 2.8
Heres a "rig shot"

UserPostedImage

low aperture late afternoon

UserPostedImage
54 UK rhd
vintagebug
12 years ago

low aperture late afternoon

UserPostedImage

Si Med wrote:

Has someone nicked the front wheels from this? :p

Must be in Liverpool... right, George?! :rofl:

Very nice photo actually :thumbup:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
GKL 7
12 years ago

Must be in Liverpool... right, George?! :rofl:

vintagebug wrote:

NAH!! We'd have just burnt it out.:o
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

Heres a "rig shot"

Si Med wrote:

Cool photos :thumbup:

OK, so what's a rig shot? I would have thought some kind of rig attached to the car, but there isn't one - unless it was photoshopped away?

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Si Med
12 years ago

Cool photos :thumbup:

OK, so what's a rig shot? I would have thought some kind of rig attached to the car, but there isn't one - unless it was photoshopped away?

pre67vw wrote:

Got it in one Rob. I produced the images below to explain it to a friend a couple of years ago (note the remote in my hand)

This is a real budget setup using a monopod and rope!
Although it looks like I am booting it, I am in fact rolling very slowly (2-3mph)
Using a long exposure you get these results.

With cars you can simply push them, this way you get no engine vibration...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I assisted on the Rang Rover sport catalogue a few years back using a rig like this... which was epic!

https://vimeo.com/32615655 
54 UK rhd
brille52
12 years ago
WoW!!
A NEW world !! That video is incredible ! Awesome ! :thumbup:
merchantrader
12 years ago

I think it's a delicate balance, too adventurous less people will like them, but too illustrative and it starts becoming a bit samey. True most things have been done before, I think it's more important that it's well executed rather than completely original.

Shows are quite difficult really, if you don't look for interesting angles or interesting compositions then the I often find than I come home with several almost identical photos - a tad too illustrative!!

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

pre67vw wrote:

Found this very interesting and it set me thinking. To say it depends on the intended audience would be too obvious so I have done some research on some photos of older commercial vehicles I have put on flickr. The audience would be broadly similar to Pre67 VW photos but perhaps more swaying towards an interest in "in use" than "catalogue". The photos are all C- in terms of technical quality and are split in equal measure between "catalogue", "action" and "with people (not candy eyed!)". The photos with people in have, on average, attracted 15% more interest than the others.This also applies to the one vehicle that has two photos one "catalogue" and the other "with people".

lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago
OK not VW but just to illustrate a point about dramatising a picture using Photoshop Motion Blur.

This was a Bonneville Streamliner last September. Understandably due to safety regulations there are no close vantage points where you can shoot the cars at speed. Everyone gathers around the start point to take their pictures. What you can see here in the first picture is the Vesco Streamliner being given a push start by their pick-up. Not very exciting I think you'll agree...doing about 5mph when I took the picture.

The second picture is aesthetically a little more satisfying...looks like I'm running alongside to take the picture at speed. Not difficult to do...just Photoshop the pick-up out of the picture...copy the rear of the streamliner from another picture and layer it into the picture. Select the the streamliner, select inverse and apply motion blur which leaves the car sharp. You can the go around the edges of the car smudging the trailing edges using the smudge tool.

All very basic Photoshop stuff but effective all the same.  og-vesco-bonneville.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  vesco-bonneville.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
John.
merchantrader
12 years ago
Please, I am not knocking your work or your opinion. Everything is in the eye of the beholder but I think the Bonneville photos illustrate the point someone made earlier i.e. the original (with the pick up fully in shot, possibly)interesting and the photoshopped version although it is 100% for artistic merit less interesting to most people - I think this less interest by the ordinary (non technical) observer is because the brain settles on the overall composition of the image not the intended main subject and it recognises the image as artwork.
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Please, I am not knocking your work or your opinion. Everything is in the eye of the beholder but I think the Bonneville photos illustrate the point someone made earlier i.e. the original (with the pick up fully in shot, possibly)interesting and the photoshopped version although it is 100% for artistic merit less interesting to most people - I think this less interest by the ordinary (non technical) observer is because the brain settles on the overall composition of the image not the intended main subject and it recognises the image as artwork.

merchantrader wrote:

Yes I understand what you're saying but that is just one shot of the Streamliner. I have a few more of it surrounded by admiring onlookers and preparation of the run which is the reality of the event. However it's good sometimes to mix reality with fantasy especially when restrictions are placed on you as a photographer.

Is it cheating or is it using the tools that are available to you.
John.