What-a-Mess
17 years ago
Has anyone tried towing a split window beetle with an a-frame like the ones that VW heritage sell ?

I need to tow my beetle to college so I can weld some new rear bumper mounts in. I've just tried one of the 'universal' a-frames and found that the beam is too high up within the bodywork so the spare wheel well stops the tow hitch lifting up much more than 9" above the ground.

Thanks.

Jon.
51 Ragtop.
58 Lowlight Vert.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
justbuggin
17 years ago
Has the beetle been lowered? If so & It's got an adjustable beam, raise it up until you get the welding done & the car back to your place, then lower it again. My '58's been lowered & the hitch just about sits on the towing ball.
www.justbuggin.co.uk

58 Ragtop
T25 Panel
Nic B-C
16 years ago
Easy enought o tow but as Rob says if lowered raise it, last lowered car I towed I raised by 4" and it still rubbed out bottom edge of my a frame.

Also make sure bolt holding catch plate is tightened as they can work loose
check out www.durhamdubbers.co.uk great for resto threads 🙂
Chris
16 years ago

Has the beetle been lowered?

"justbuggin" wrote:

I think you're getting this site mixed with the Restowagen site, this is a "stock, coachbuilt & old speed" site :wink:

A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
justbuggin
16 years ago
:lol:
www.justbuggin.co.uk

58 Ragtop
T25 Panel