6voltcyd
16 years ago
Hi would love some advice on firing up an early 60's bug, with a'68 1500 engine. The car has been been garaged since 1991 (dry)!. Iv'e had various suggestions from "just connect battery up and away you go" to more cautious approaches . Picked up a 6 volt battery today, and i
would be grateful for any advice. keep you updated on the situation.
Regards Gordon
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Jules
16 years ago
If it were me I would do the following:-

Buy a fire extinguisher and have it on hand.
Drain any fuel from the tank and replace with new.
Flip the rocker covers off and check tappet adjustment.
Off with the distributor cap and check points gap.
Visually check that everything looks as it should, wiring etc.
Rachet and socket on bottom pulley and turm engine by hand, hopefully it will turn nicely and with even resistance, give it a good few turns. (removing plugs will make this easier, could even replace them)

If all seems good hook up your battery, remove coil lead and turn the engine over, 5 seconds, then stop, 5 seconds, then stop. Do this for say 25-30 seconds total. This will bring the oil pressure up and pull some fuel through.

Then go for it, coil lead back on, a few pumps on the throttle which, providing you have fuel in the carb, will squirt some straight down the inlet manifold and turn the key. I rekon it will fire up straight away.

You could remove the air claener and pour a little fuel down the carb, it can only help but just a bit, not loads.

Hope this helps!
dp
  • dp
  • Regular
16 years ago
Some good advice in here also:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246496 

I hates those mices to pieces!
Andy Sparks
16 years ago
replace the fuel lines.
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂