broxy5
16 years ago
Here is my '56 Canadian Standard. I love Standards, but sadly ours are a cross between Deluxe and standards. Side trim, deluxe colors, and cloth seats, although they aren't trimmed the same as deluxe cloth. The door panels lack the trim strip, and only have a strip of vinyl at the bottom of the panel.

She's my daily, so winter in Canada will be interesting, but it's all good as my last car had a marginal heater as well.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
nev
  • nev
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago

Sorry - no pictures to share - I was just idly wondering if there were any Standard Karmann Cabrios built? For the Polizei or Army?

"JD" wrote:

Yep here's Rich Trickers German police border patrol karmann ...

UserPostedImage
pre67vw
16 years ago

Sorry - no pictures to share - I was just idly wondering if there were any Standard Karmann Cabrios built? For the Polizei or Army?

"nev" wrote:

Yep here's Rich Trickers German police border patrol karmann ...

UserPostedImage

"JD" wrote:

That's not an Oval though :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
1958 Harry
16 years ago
I like Standards, they are a bit different from the norm - I like em cause most look a bit 'military'.

Its funny tho - things like 'body coloured bumpers' meant the lower spec years ago - now it means it isn't the poverty spec on modern cars

As I see Standards they were simply the lower spec VW years ago, much like the difference between say a modern Mini One and a Mini Cooper, the One is cheaper but comes with less spec as standard, however if you want to pay you can have the same toys as a Cooper without some of the technical bits like a more powerful engine.

And quality wise most manufacturers drop the level of quality over the life of the car - look at Fords! My Mrs has had 2 Ka's her first was a '98 well made (as far as they could be!) and reliable, now she has an 04 Ka and its awful, badly made, rusting and unreliable!

And its a given that 70's Bugs are not as well made as 50's-60's bugs as they used thinner and cheaper steel.

Multi show winning magazine featured '58 Bug - Harry
2007 2.0 New Beetle - Mijj
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago

i have had 2 Oval Standards...

first this solid 54:
UserPostedImage
Currently for sale here 
great original plate, 73 BLK

then this rhd 56:
UserPostedImage

:wink:

(while i'm here, i need an Oval (53-55) beetle armrest - can anyone help me?)

regards
RS

"RockStock" wrote:

im interested in buying your 54, is it still for sale?? i keep emailing you, but no response, does anyone have a phone number for the seller???
RockStock
16 years ago

Hey Chris,

what a small world this circuit is! I bought 73 BLK off you!

Last time I saw you you had an oval deluxe cab... 56 from memory. How's that going?

When I bought the car off you you mentioned something about the logos on the doors... and I thought I had written it down somewhere as to what they were. You got any more info on them/ can refresh my memory as researching it all is proving to be somewhat of a pain!

Cheers,

John

"smillie54" wrote:

Hi John

I still have the Kab...

signwriting was on both doors
had an outline of a church-looking building
then 'Dom Samen'
then 'Kevelaer'

Kevelaer is a town in Germany, I know that much
using an online translation, Dom Samen equates to Cathedral Seed

So, The Seed Cathedral, Kevelaer??!
https://www.home2b.net/goddess-page-kevelaer-20040307.html 

See also
https://forums.pre67vw.co.uk/viewtopic.aspx?forum=2 

Best regards
C
StockRocks
pre67vw
16 years ago

then 'Dom Samen'
then 'Kevelaer'

"RockStock" wrote:

Not this is it?
UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
RockStock
16 years ago

then 'Dom Samen'
then 'Kevelaer'

"pre67vw" wrote:

Not this is it?
UserPostedImage

"RockStock" wrote:

yes!
super similar, except the text came under the church
where's that from?
StockRocks
pre67vw
16 years ago

then 'Dom Samen'
then 'Kevelaer'

"RockStock" wrote:

Not this is it?
UserPostedImage

"pre67vw" wrote:

yes!
super similar, except the text came under the church
where's that from?

"RockStock" wrote:

Just did a bit of Googling :wink: Looks like it's a seed company based in Kevelaer, something like 'Cathedral Seeds'

DOM-Samen GmbH
Hoogeweg 31-33, 47623 KEVELAER

No idea if they are still around though. Got any photos of your sign writing?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
RockStock
16 years ago
i think i have a pic, but the outline is faint. pre-digital, too
back then i didnt care too much for logos (did anyone?)
it was under a coat of blue, and i just sanded it back to bare metal pretty swiftly
i'll hunt it out/scan it when i get a moment

top googling, thank you - that'll be the place. maybe it's a sperm bank 😃
StockRocks
Chris
16 years ago

maybe it's a sperm bank 😃

"RockStock" wrote:

12809.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
RockStock
16 years ago

i think i have a pic, but the outline is faint. pre-digital, too
back then i didnt care too much for logos (did anyone?)
it was under a coat of blue, and i just sanded it back to bare metal pretty swiftly
i'll hunt it out/scan it when i get a moment

top googling, thank you - that'll be the place. maybe it's a sperm bank 😃

"RockStock" wrote:

UserPostedImage
1991/92
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
"Can you tell what it is yet?"

UserPostedImage
It was a solid car. Excellent door gap, blemish free original lower quarter panel
UserPostedImage
totally not sure on the last word

StockRocks
reminou75
16 years ago
Hi,
here is a small presentation of my 53 Std. Maybe some of you saw it at Ace Café or Slough in November.
I bought it in Brussels three months ago. Unfortunately, it has been resprayed outside, but the interior is still original, and absolutely handsome... :oops: It still has its original engine and crashbox.
One strange thing: it has some chromed parts. The seller told me that the importer (D'Ieteren) didn't want to sell the Standards as cheap as they were, and therefore put some chromed parts before deliver them. BUT, actually, the birth certificate of my car reveals that he was not right... All cars sold in Belgium were ordered with an option: M001, chromed parts (cf. birth certif.)

I'm considering putting a little Vintage Speed prep in it, with no precise idea. But I really would like to install an Express kit... If you know one for sale, or sell one, feel free to contact me... :wink:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
RockStock
16 years ago
reminou

saw your standard oval at slough
really nice, top original interior

C
StockRocks
Standard split
16 years ago
Thanks for showing us your car – it's smashing 😎

Standards varied, with some countries having chrome parts on their basic cars (ie Belgium as you certificate shows).

Is a car with crash box and cable brakes a good car for a speed kit. Such a rare car should be left as is :wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
reminou75
16 years ago

Thanks for showing us your car – it's smashing 😎

Standards varied, with some countries having chrome parts on their basic cars (ie Belgium as you certificate shows).

Is a car with crash box and cable brakes a good car for a speed kit. Such a rare car should be left as is :wink:

"Standard split" wrote:

Sure it is!!! It's the perfect basis!!! :lol: But don't worry, I'm looking for something light, but nice, rather an Express kit. Not something that would give too much torque, so that I can keep the crashbox and the cable brakes... :wink:
Clarky
16 years ago
This arrived last weekend 😃

Now I just need to source all the missing parts and put it back together again, log book states it's a March 1955 RHD UK car.

The car came with wings, ribbed doors, bonnet (needs painting) and W lid.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Need to find the original steering wheel, all the swicthes (Headlight, wiper, choke and ignition) and black knobs for them so if anyone can help me see my ad in the classifieds as I will add to that as I find out whats missing :lol:

Michael
Michael
www.vwoval.co.uk
Clarky
16 years ago
Forgot to say that last night I went through the boxes of bits I had been given with the car. Some key bits in the boxes which is handy.

Decided to do something soput the glove box, ash tray and speaker grill in.

UserPostedImage

Michael
www.vwoval.co.uk
Chris
16 years ago
Mike, Lovely car, like the colour lots. One thing I noticed from the pictures is that the rear valance had cut outs for the exhaust. These weren't introduced til August 1955.

I don't want to sound picky or anything, after all this isn't 'The Samba' :wink: but didn't know if you were aware of it. Such a nice car like that, I would hate for it to be 'wrong'.

My applogies if you knew this and had planned to rectify it. :oops:

Chris
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
48REME
16 years ago
Beautiful paintjob and very promising car.
Just ensure the speaker grille is painted in Jupiter Grey.
You need to have the one piece push-in ashtray also painted grey, with no chrome surround.
Your door handles (in and out), bumpers, headlamp rings, front and rear bonnet handles and hubcaps need to be chromed as it's an English Export Standard. VW logos in black in the hubcaps and optional white waistline on the body.
(This is the Standard Police just sticking a nose in... 😃 )