JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago

It has to look a bit old too. :lol:

"vintagevw" wrote:

I agree!

I have a problem, in that I need a new outside roof very soon and also some body and paintwork sometime later. It would be good to have the wooden roof rail at the back of the car easily removable, to do the body work, but I don't know if its possible. :?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
16 years ago

It has to look a bit old too. :lol:

"JD" wrote:

I agree!

I have a problem, in that I need a new outside roof very soon and also some body and paintwork sometime later. It would be good to have the wooden roof rail at the back of the car easily removable, to do the body work, but I don't know if its possible. :?

"vintagevw" wrote:

The wooden bow above the rear window? if so then you won't be able to replace this with the headliner in place, the screws are underneath. The wooden bow around the back would be replaceable though.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Thats what I was afraid of. That thing is well and truly nailed in to place.
UserPostedImage
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
If you are talking about the large Horse shoe shaped bow above the engine lid.
That piece of wood is not easily removed(i can only speak from the expierience of an early car, mind you,1950).
On the early cars this bow is fastened by nails thru' the bodywork,the heads are then lead loaded.There are also steel tabs welded to the inner body work,which screws pass thru' and into the bow.
The bow in my car was bedded on a piece of seat material to asure it lay level.
If you are replacing the outer hood and padding,i'm sure the other bows can be removed without too much damage being done to the headcloth.
The most rust i found on my car was under the large horseshoe shaped bow,it would appear a prone area for trapping water.
I would certainly say this is an area that if you do not treat you will have big problems.
If the later cars are built in the same way, the photograph shows the sort of damage you will need to make to your car to remove the lower bow :cry:  14946.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Thanks George. AFAIK, the bow is fitted in a pretty similar fashion, although I don't think the nail heads are lead loaded on the outside, which should make life easier.

Like I said - I could use a new hood outer, which will probably mean a new wood bow around the back, and when thats out, I don't know what I might unearth, in the way of rust. I didn't want to end up getting sucked into a ton of bodywork, just to put a new hood on!
UserPostedImage
vintagevw
16 years ago
Drivers side door is repaired.
Once the outsidepannel was replaced becouse of a huge accident in the drivers side door, that was the reason that I was looking for a very solid one but that's not so easy if you need one quick so I planned to repair that door.
The inside was also bent but had no rust the door is straight now.  15083.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
vintagevw
16 years ago
The right door needed a small pard near the lower hinge, inside and outside.  15084.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagevw
16 years ago
New part.  15085.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagevw
16 years ago
Correct! 😃  15086.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagevw
16 years ago
Up! Welded.  15087.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagevw
16 years ago
Inside has been cutted out.
It is sandblasted at the inside.
All the dirty tar is removed, dirty job. 😃  15088.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagevw
16 years ago
New part is a part from a pré 67 beetle door.  15089.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagevw
16 years ago
Welded. 😃  15090.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagevw
16 years ago
Nice patina!  15091.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagevw
16 years ago
MMM  15092.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagevw
16 years ago
Almost bare metal!
No that is n't my Maserati.... , I only drive Alfa Romeo. :lol:  15093.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagevw
16 years ago
Some filler.  15094.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagevw
16 years ago
And hup, isn't that quick! :lol: :lol: :lol:  15095.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Etzhold1
16 years ago
Great Job Pascal !
ET will return your window frame at the end of this week !
One's again Thank you maatje !!! It was a great help,
We did not made the promissed parts yet for you, But i'll do that if Et's Passenger door is ready !
Please give the 2 Cabrio decklids to ET, He will deliver them at Opa's place ! Opa told me its no problem to fix the decklid !

Regards,

Guido
nev
  • nev
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Hi Pascal,

Blimey you don't hang about, it was only last week we were discussing my door and now you have repaired both of yours. Its great that you are saving your original door anyway and I am not really ready to sell my drivers door until I have repaired and fitted the split door I have.

But for anyone who needs a zwitter only cabrio door I have one I will sell at some point :wink:

Good work, can't wait to see it finished.

Cheers
Kev