stickman
15 years ago
Well my 30HP 1960 beetle is due to be MOT'd at the end of the week for the first time in 5 years!! Last time i used her our local garage were still selling leaded 4star:d

Not any more however:shock: (It was 96p / litre back then and i remember thinking what a rip off, if only the same was true now!)

What fuel can i put in the old 30HP type engine. There is alegedly a garage about 20 miles away selling the leaded stuff but if this is not the case do I use unleaded, or LRP or unleaded with aditive. If so which aditive? So many options I'm confused!

Any advice greatly appreciated! (Fingers crossed she will pass!)
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
harveypj
15 years ago
I looked into this myself just recently, I have opted for normal 95 unleaded and use 'Castrol valve master' addative.
Within classic car circles it gets consistantly good reveiws, if you google it you'l see what I mean. available from Hailfords £10 for 250ml (1ml treats 1 litre of fuel so 1p/ltr).
I've seen it cheaper but most are within a short distance of a Hailfords store.
There is a valvemaster plus (with octane boost) but you will not need that as old petrol specs put octane around the 70 mark.  images.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Stock......the new custom
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
I use Super Unleaded (higher octane - burns cooler I believe) and a lead additive when I remember to chuck some in.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
15 years ago

I looked into this myself just recently, I have opted for normal 95 unleaded and use 'Castrol valve master' addative.
Within classic car circles it gets consistantly good reveiws, if you google it you'l see what I mean. available from Hailfords £10 for 250ml (1ml treats 1 litre of fuel so 1p/ltr).
I've seen it cheaper but most are within a short distance of a Hailfords store.
There is a valvemaster plus (with octane boost) but you will not need that as old petrol specs put octane around the 70 mark.

harveypj wrote:

Yes we do the same. Always with additive, various as each bottle lives in each car, but Valvemaster being the additive of choice, it has been around since the beginning and seems to be most recommended in old car clubs.

Although I did used to buy super unleaded, my logic being the most expensive usually being better/purer? In fact I used to NEVER buy any petrol from Supermarkets for any car as I read it was poor quality, but now I have no choice as its my only petrol station.

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
stickman
15 years ago
Thanks for all the advice.

My wife has an old Austin and before an engine rebuild used the castrol additive. I fould a garage not far from work yesterday and bought £20 of leaded petrol but at £1.67/litre :shock: :shock: :shock: and a 20 mile drive from home i think additive is the way forward!
harveypj
15 years ago
just found out you can get the pukka lead addative 'Tetra-ethyl lead' marketed under the name 'Tetraboost'
works out at around 14p per leter to treat.

https://www.tetraboost.com 
Stock......the new custom
48REME
15 years ago
Thanks for the reminder, harveypj, I had almost ran out of additive and hadn't thought where to look...Got the same one online, it also came to about £10 including p&p.:d