mrsherbie
15 years ago
I just looked at the register it says 564 cars?

I know the arrangement of the different types in different streets works very well, but I thought there were closer to 250 registered cars last time? ( I am sure I must be wrong though as I dont remember exactly) and it seemed pretty busy to me then. I am starting to think we might end up leaving our car in the safety of the Hotel carpark a mile away all weekend if it gets any bigger and just walk around? :?
And this is only 'registered cars' so if the same number of other cars attend that are outside the registration criteria, ie. think of the huge number of vw buses mostly British, that attended Camberg, yet only a couple were actually on the field. Surely there is the potential to be 1000 vehicles trying to drive around in the town all weekend? I am trying to imagine twice as many people at the evening do/and outside on the Saturday night. Am I the only one wondering this?
Although I am sure the team must have a plan in place.

I know I am getting old, but I dont like big crowds anymore. I think Camberg was a turning point for me.

AND, OAKLEY! You left it a bit late 411!! It must be a 'sign' your next car is going to be...a tuna boat :lol:

Although..... even I wouldnt kick this one out of bed in the morning!

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
15 years ago
Christian added a 'light' registration, not entirely sure what that includes - but it doesn't include entry to the Saturday night do so I would think that is going to be similar numbers to last time. If they're all vintage, then its going to be a crazy weekend!!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Interestingly, the reason I noticed the numbers rising was because I looked at the list in German and the numbers were different?! But I think it must just be a computer/site glich! as the names are the same.

UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
15 years ago

its going to be a crazy weekend!!

pre67vw wrote:

I guess that is what I am afraid of.
I think after seeing the great Lavenham, Lier and Huckeswagen meets pics this year, and todays fallout following an appalling Vanfest, am starting to realise the qualities I personally like about shows are not necessarily the same as other peoples.

Its ok though, yesterday I was at the garden centre buying Dahlia's and compost in the sunshine and thinking how great life is.... but then I realised that I have just turned into my Grandma! :lol:

pre67vw
15 years ago
I mean crazy in a good way! Look down the list of cars, it's going to be incredible... it's a long way from being vanfest...

Its ok though, yesterday I was at the garden centre buying Dahlia's and compost in the sunshine and thinking how great life is.... but then I realised that I have just turned into my Grandma!

mrsherbie wrote:

that's ok, just have another werthers original and turn the heating on :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
dinsdale
15 years ago
The registration list is very impressive, I'm looking forward to it. It would be nice if it got updated once you'd paid though.

Pete
'54 Beetle with Okrasa
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago
I think I know what Anna means...the show could be a victim of its own success.

Speaking as a recent Lowlight Ghia convert the line-up is amazing. There are about 25 Lowlight Ghia Coupes, 8 Lowlight Convertables. Among those 25 Coupes there are 5 rarest of the rare 1955 Ghias. Very few post '60 Type 1 Karmann Ghias are listed but there are about 8 Type 3 KGs.

When you add in the lower class of cars like Beetles and Buses you have the perfect show, something for everyone as long as you like your VWs stock.

Let's hope the checkpoints strictly enforce the stock principal.
John.
fantakid
15 years ago
Hi,
we opend a light version of the registration because now we have a "little " controll wich and how many cars will come. The town is big enought for all cars and there will be a stock controll at the entrence.
We have oppend a new street and this will be for rat cars and so on. .
The light version always the people to take part at the show, the get their bags with the plages ,free beer on friday,...
The differnce is that they can not take part at the saturday night party in the town hall and the tour an saturday with the fery.
Christian
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

When you add in the lower class of cars like Beetles and Buses....

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

And where does the queue start to slap you for saying that?[-x 😳 :lol:

And another vote for "NO RATTY MODIFIED BUSSES IN THE SHOW" please!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I knew there was a plan really, I did not doubt the boys in orange for 1 moment! :d

I have decided that it's just me and I dont think I like anyone these days, no people at all! just the cars are ok! :lol:

Although, Life in the slow lane is ok, for old folk, and we have to show him a little compassion for not being young and stylish enough to drive a real volkswagen these days x
:d

lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago

And where does the queue start to slap you for saying that?[-x 😳 :lol:

JD wrote:

Oh come on...us coachbuilt owners know that Beetles and Buses are just a staging post along the route to the ultimate.:d

...as for Anna saying I'm not stylish, she's obviously forgotten my sensational outfit for the Le Mans Classic.
UserPostedImage
John.
Quiet Mike
15 years ago

JD wrote:

As Anna well knows, this is a current hot topic on the SSVC forum...:lol:

Lowered buses aren't my cup of tea, but I much prefer original paint, however ratty, to shinny factory finish respray. To exclude the rats would mean I'd miss out on a lot of OG and signwritten vans I'd love to see, even though I'd prefer to see them stock rather than slammed.:roll:
I think it's a good idea they will be catered for, and also good they will have their own section rather than mixed in with the stock vw's.
I'll have to find out on the day whether the organisers consider my sunburnt Kombi 'stock' or 'rat look'! :wink:

John, very dapper!
After Goodwood Revival last week I think it would be great to have a dress code for HO...:twisted:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago

I'll have to find out on the day whether the organisers consider my sunburnt Kombi 'stock' or 'rat look'! :wink:

Quiet Mike wrote:

I think if it's stock height Mike it will pass muster...but don't quote me.:wink: You can convoy with us if you're going.

John, very dapper!
After Goodwood Revival last week I think it would be great to have a dress code for HO...:twisted:

Quiet Mike wrote:

Yes it was fun for a couple of hours but if the HO weekend is hot I'd just want to be in shorts and T shirt. I remember going to the beach when I was a small boy and the relaxed dress code at the time was the tie was loosened and the top shirt button undone. The Jacket and Tank Top was de rigueur for every season. :roll:
John.
mrsherbie
15 years ago

I remember going to the beach when I was a small boy and the relaxed dress code at the time was the tie was loosened and the top shirt button undone. The Jacket and Tank Top was de rigueur for every season. :roll:

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

(Comfy in his stripey deckchair, John drifts off into a dream..."Ah those were the days "..)

:lol:

That's a very cool outfit Mike :d but shame on you punishing the boys, I bet they are glad none of their friends could see them dressed like that (Amid sobs) "Aw Dad, why do we have to wear this?" :lol:

I think it is a great idea to dress for H.O. I have a similar thing planned for H.O. Sat night already :wink: But I am told that dressing up is something that crazy Brits like to do more than other nations :?: :lol:

Rat look/just original paint, the boundary is debatable I agree, but I suppose when it comes down to it, paint new or og is irrelevant. Given that H.O. IS the best vintage vw meet in the world! I think it is great that lowered buses and cars should be parked in a totally separate place to the stock height vws. We will also want to look at the great og sign written buses, especially the Badger bus for example and there is no doubt buses like these should most definitely be there as they are more interesting than many of the restored buses for me also modified or not.
But despite opinions on the SSVC, there IS a huge difference between stock beetle people and most rat look bus people.
Generalisation? Yes. And I know people hate that, but that is the harsh real world. Generalisations have to be made to aid progress. So it is not surpising that all of the older stock crowd do not want to see a re-run of what happened at Camberg. All 'they'/the stock people ( generalising again) see is their few special shows being spoiled by a few idiots who are not even attending driving stock vws.

I have thought of the perfect and easy way to divide the stock and modified buses as they drive in.... dig some big bottomless pits in the middle of the roads that the narrowed beams fall into :lol: ( yes! joking! ( ish )

I dont know, we are thinking now of driving something else anyway and not even being in the vw show. I just worry for my tailights nowadays at all big vw shows.

One thing I did think was an absolutely FANTASTIC idea about the Lavenham registration, was that you had to send a photo in :idea: that was a stoke of genius I think, and something that would be really good to see happen more often in future for the vintage shows. :beer: That way, if someone turns up in a different vehicle to that they registered which is no longer stock or does not meet the year criteria, then the entry staff could check it against a thumbnail photo on the gate and decide on the spot with no arguments from the driver 😳

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Oh come on...us coachbuilt owners know that Beetles and Buses are just a staging post along the route to the ultimate.:d

...as for Anna saying I'm not stylish, she's obviously forgotten my sensational outfit for the Le Mans Classic.
UserPostedImage

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Ah - great! Now I know what you look like, it´ll save time when hunting you down!:twisted: :lol:

My Beetle is a coachbuilt!
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Rat look/just original paint, the boundary is debatable I agree, but I suppose when it comes down to it, paint new or og is irrelevant.

mrsherbie wrote:

I have no problem with original paint, even if ratty. I just don´t want to see blatantly modified vehicles at a classic show. Hell, I even like modified stuff - just not where it has no business being.

I think it is great that lowered buses and cars should be parked in a totally separate place to the stock height vws.

mrsherbie wrote:

How about Murmansk?
UserPostedImage
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago

Ah - great! Now I know what you look like, it´ll save time when hunting you down!:twisted: :lol:

My Beetle is a coachbuilt!

JD wrote:

Sorry to disappoint but some of the facial furniture has been removed after someone said I looked like Colonel Sanders and of course I usually dress more formally.

I will however, grudgingly concede that Karmann Cabrios ARE coachbuilts.

John.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Sorry to disappoint but some of the facial furniture has been removed after someone said I looked like Colonel Sanders and I usually dress more formally.

I will grudgingly concede that Karmann Cabrios ARE coachbuilts.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

LOL! I´ll look for the guy wearing the white dinner jacket and spats then!:lol: :lol:
UserPostedImage
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago

LOL! I´ll look for the guy wearing the white dinner jacket and spats then!:lol: :lol:

JD wrote:

Don't laugh...some of us will be dressing for the Tombola on the Saturday night.
John.
Quiet Mike
15 years ago

That's a very cool outfit Mike :d but shame on you punishing the boys, I bet they are glad none of their friends could see them dressed like that (Amid sobs) "Aw Dad, why do we have to wear this?" :lol:

I think it is a great idea to dress for H.O. I have a similar thing planned for H.O. Sat night already :wink: But I am told that dressing up is something that crazy Brits like to do more than other nations :?: :lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

:lol: My nippers are young enough (just...) to still be brainwashed by me :twisted: They loved it! Actually most of the kids I saw were dressed in similar attire 😮 I'm just enjoying it while it lasts, all to soon they wont be seen dead with me dressed like this! :lol:

UserPostedImage