mrsherbie
15 years ago
Following a thread on the samba about this, I decided to go though our nos lenses box last weekend as I was a disbeliever! until Nessy posted the part no info, that there was even such a thing as an amber lens, they always all just looked red to me! :lol:
So I was surprised to find quite a variation :shock:
Interestingly I also went though a bunch of og complete lights, and did discover one thing, that 4 pairs of 53 heart units with no drain holes (not shown in pics) were ALL still wearing the dark type hearts og factory fitted, and later heart lights from 54 & 55 ( the og paint is the giveaway) were the ones wearing the amber. I need to go though all our lights to determine if this is the division.

SO, it occurred to me that these amber lenses could be the big mystery that is M018?? :shock: I though 'maybe!' but my oval has M018 but its lenses are red & og :? Bugger :lol:

Anyway, I thought I would post the pics here just for interest.

Amber Samba thread 

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

(The grey light on the left is a nos unit I just fitted the lens into to show it better, the one on the right looks like og pastel or iceland green under the blue paint but I am not certain)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Ovalbug
15 years ago
Good work Anna!
One thing does puzzle me though ; in your pics of the red lense with a label on the part number reads 111 945 121, but going by the info I found in the '61 Parts Manual the amber lense was 121 whilst the red lense was 121B,suggesting that the amber lense existed as a part before the red lense?
Did someone mis-label that red lense many years ago; it doesn't look like a vw label?

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I dont know, maybe it is a Swedish dealer label as thats where it came from.

But the only thing I AM certain of based on our og 53 lights is that hearts definitely came 1st in red, not amber.
And that both my Feb 55 and also Keith Viponds Jan 55 are both wearing their factory fitted og hearts and they are both dark red.
I can only guess it is like the heart gasket that was a post factory 'service part' not an original factory fitment??But I agree the B is odd.
It did occur to me on the samba that is was a US thing until I found some in our Swedish parts.

OR that the amber lens was manufactured by a different company to Hella? like the Hassia lenses and SPO light housings.

Until I see a photo of an amber lens fitted from factory inside a light, or someone has an M code for it I will remain a sceptic :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
gipf
  • gipf
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
The m018 code is a larger reflector in the brake light/ indicator light, or so it says on my ovals certificate from wolsberg.