JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hi

I am wondering how hard it will be to drill and tap the return line into my generator pedestal - without getting a case full of aluminium chippings.

Anyone have any suggestions?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
zelensis61
15 years ago
Maybe you could drill one of the bolts that hold the fuel pump...Make it holow and with a sort of adapter nut you cal let the oil in the engine
Nothing is drilled that can be reversed. Your engine is saved.
Greetings Peter
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
Ah, that would be a good plan - but i forgot to say its a 30hp motor. Sorry.
UserPostedImage
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago
No drilling required on the 30hp, you just remove the stud holding the distributor clamp and replace it with a hollow bolt.

UserPostedImage
John.
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
Thanks John. I was looking at that today and wondered if that would work.
Where might one purchase such a bolt? Or did you just drill one out?
UserPostedImage
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago

Thanks John. I was looking at that today and wondered if that would work.
Where might one purchase such a bolt? Or did you just drill one out?

JD wrote:

The one in the picture was made up for me by a local chap who engineered stuff for racing MGs. He made up all the oil lines and connections too which should be no problem for shops that cater for clubman racing...they fit remote oil coolers etc every day of the year. I just took my Beetle too his workshop with Fram filter in hand and said. "Fit that."

Latterly I used lines and fittings supplied by Stephane Lhonneux but I'm not sure if he's fully operational at the moment.:?
John.
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
I have a set of lines already - I´ll have to take a closer look at what I have. I dare say I can drill a threaded stud out if I have to. Thanks.
UserPostedImage
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago

I have a set of lines already - I´ll have to take a closer look at what I have. I dare say I can drill a threaded stud out if I have to. Thanks.

JD wrote:

Oooo you are clever. I tried but with a Black and Decker in one hand and the stud, end on in the other hand, it can get really tricky.:?
John.
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
As long as I have a ready supply of studs on hand, and start with a really small drill...
UserPostedImage