SplitPersonality
15 years ago
Gents,
Below is the picture of the back, top end of the door of a early (below no 100) 1949 Hebmuller. The rubber and chrome and color and all is wrong... BUT.. the gap/opening at the top of door the distance between the inner and outer sheet metal panel is 35 mm and it does NOT have the little metal lip that clamps down the rubber scrapers.

This is a little strange...and the opening seems excessively wide... taking into consideration that the alu fram width is 14 mm - and the fact that a Karmann opening is only about 25 mm wide.

This leads to a few questions that I would appreciate answered form you who can measure on an actual car:

- Was there a different type of rubber scraper on the early 49-Hebs that did NOT require the inside-mounted clamping metal strip?
- Was the gap/opening on top of the doors changed during the Heb's lifetime? Is it narrower (more Karmann-like) on the later cars?
- If you can - please measure and post the width of the opening/slot on top of your Heb door

Thanks a million in forehand! This would be very usesful for the ongoing project.

Oystein

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Etzhold1
15 years ago
[quote=SplitPersonality]Gents,
Below is the picture of the back, top end of the door of a early (below no 100) 1949 Hebmuller. The rubber and chrome and color and all is wrong... BUT.. the gap/opening at the top of door the distance between the inner and outer sheet metal panel is 35 mm and it does NOT have the little metal lip that clamps down the rubber scrapers.

This is a little strange...and the opening seems excessively wide... taking into consideration that the alu fram width is 14 mm - and the fact that a Karmann opening is only about 25 mm wide.

This leads to a few questions that I would appreciate answered form you who can measure on an actual car:

- Was there a different type of rubber scraper on the early 49-Hebs that did NOT require the inside-mounted clamping metal strip?
- Was the gap/opening on top of the doors changed during the Heb's lifetime? Is it narrower (more Karmann-like) on the later cars?
- If you can - please measure and post the width of the opening/slot on top of your Heb door

Thanks a million in forehand! This would be very usesful for the ongoing project.

Oystein

quote]

HI Oystein,

I was checking the door opening at ET's old doors!
The strips to clamp the window scrapers are removed and I have a opening here from 26,6 mm !

Regards,

Guido
usariemen
15 years ago
My car, made around november 1949, has the opening like that:
UserPostedImage
Width 1 is from 30 Millimeters at the beginning and end to 35 Millimeter in the middle of the door.
Width 2 is from 20 Millimeters at the beginning and end to 25 Millimeter in the middle of the door.
I would guess all Hebs had it constructed like that. Except maybe a fist full in the very first days.

Master of my domaine.
Etzhold1
15 years ago
And do not forget all the hebmuller doors were hand made!
BTW if I see how they did that at the factory, I'm not wondered that there are a few mm diferences between the original doors !

GKL 7
15 years ago
Hey Guido
Happy New Year
Where is ET,he's very quite.
We need some more pictures of his Heb resto please.
Or is the car still with Ercker.
Etzhold1
15 years ago
Happy New year George,

Yes ETs Heb is still at the Ercker shop !
I hope to travel this week to Christian again,
and in the mean time I'll visit the shop , to shoot some pictures !
I was talking with Rainer today, everything is OK now, there were a few small problems with the car, But he told me could solve those problems with Dutch Bondo :lol: :lol:
The heb will be ready Half februari ! I hope the weather is better then, otherwise ET have to buy a closed trailer for me!:twisted: :twisted:
:?: Question:?: Do you know if there are good reproduktion rubbers , those that go between the front hood and body and enginelid and body for a split !
Christian donated me a sample from a NOS rubber and from the repro rubbers that are available in Germany, but those rubbers are not even close ! They are larger and the problem is that if they are on the car , you can see them for about 1à2 mm !
I'll attach a picture later today !

Best regards,

Guido

Edit , The lower rubber in the first picture is NOS original VW
The second picture is the original rubber (showing the 3 lines)
3th picture is the repro rubber !  IMG_5465.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_5467.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_5468.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
GKL 7
15 years ago
Seems stupid to say Guido,
but i cannot even remember where i got my rubbers:oops:
SplitPersonality
15 years ago
So - Guido - is there anywhere to buy the "three-lined" original style hood/engine lid rubber?
Sambaguy
15 years ago
The window slot is wider in the middle of the door on my Heb as well. I thought something had happened with the door at first sight.

I will measure the opening soon.
Etzhold1
15 years ago

So - Guido - is there anywhere to buy the "three-lined" original style hood/engine lid rubber?

SplitPersonality wrote:

I don't know, and Christian could not find any good reproduktions:?
I'm still looking arround , but if I can't find them ,I'll make them by myself !
If I would know that there are more people interested in these, I could start making them and order 200 meter or more , then I could make them for a Good price !
Christian need several sets, I need 2 sets myself, one set for ET's car !
I'll open a topic at samba about thse rubbers aswell, Maybe there knows somebody a source to find them, otherwise I'll take orders and start the produktion !

Best regards,

Guido:wink:
SplitPersonality
15 years ago
What a great forum this is! Thank you all for very valuable input in this thread!
Sambaguy
15 years ago

The window slot is wider in the middle of the door on my Heb as well. I thought something had happened with the door at first sight.

I will measure the opening soon.

Sambaguy wrote:

I have done some measuring on my door and seems to be the same as Cartens measuring.
The first picture is from the end of the door close to the lock.
The second is at the middle.  Heb dörr 2.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Dörr 3.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
SplitPersonality
15 years ago
Gents,
Thanks for all the input on the width of the door window gap... one other thing:

On the first picture of this thread....if you look straight down on top of the door at the front and rear end of the door window of an original hebmuller....what does it really look like where the inner/outer rubber seal end and where the alu frame comes up? Is there supposed to be a bolted little plate to cover this area (early Porsche style), or is it just left open originally?

Does anybody have good pictures of a very original car in this area?

Again - thanks... what a fantastic resource this forum is!