rickycox
15 years ago
Hi all....

Does anyone have any idea where I can source information on VW maindealers in the 1950's ?

I'm researching a car of mine and I think it was sold new in Warrington ( or near there ).

Classic Volkswagen & Porsche Restoration
www.wonkydonkeyemporium.co.uk 
Follow us on Twitter 
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Hi Ricky

You're car might have come from the Warrington dealership which in 1959 was called B.J Motors, Warrington Rd, Penketh, Lancs. Tel: Penketh 2311.

See you soon,
Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
rickycox
15 years ago
Cheers Rich.....

I'm guessing that it was Warrington at the moment, but I do know the car was owned from at least the early 60's and possibly from new by a lady who lived in Warrington ( I found out that she worked as a stenographer at the Nuremberg war trials !! ) ..... but waiting for DVLA paperwork to come throu

Follow us on Twitter 
RoRoVw
15 years ago
What's the car? Any pics? Sounds to have an interesting history.
Cheers.
rickycox
15 years ago
its my bug, October 59 saloon, tatty but still driveable .....I wanted to do some research and thats what I came up with so far.... I thought the fact that the lady who owned it for a long time worked in Nuremberg war trials was kinda interesting...... once I hear back from DVLA I'll know more etc...
Follow us on Twitter 
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Question posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 5:04:23

Answered by Rich Oakley posted : Friday, January 09, 2009 5:07:37 PM

Hi Ricky

You're car might have come from the Warrington dealership which in 1959 was called B.J Motors, Warrington Rd, Penketh, Lancs. Tel: Penketh 2311.

See you soon,
Rich.

Rich Oakley wrote:

:shock: Stop it now, you are really scaring me!:shock:

:lol: :lol:

only joking :beer: :beer:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Chris
15 years ago

Question posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 5:04:23

Answered by Rich Oakley posted : Friday, January 09, 2009 5:07:37 PM

mrsherbie wrote:

Are you sure he doesn't have a time machine hidden away somewhere ???
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
RoRoVw
15 years ago

its my bug, October 59 saloon, tatty but still driveable .....I wanted to do some research and thats what I came up with so far.... I thought the fact that the lady who owned it for a long time worked in Nuremberg war trials was kinda interesting...... once I hear back from DVLA I'll know more etc...

rickycox wrote:

There seems to be a great number of 1958 and 1959 beetles surfacing recently. They must have been well built and popular to have survived. It will be interesting to see some photos and hear more of the history when you've completed your research.
Cheers.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
UserPostedImage

This is the car before Ricky purchased it.

Ricky- just found out that your car was originally registered in S.E. London and not ooop North.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
15 years ago

ooop North.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Think you'll find that's "upt norf"

:roll: Southerners:roll:
Steve Rutter
15 years ago
If it was S.E London, then the VW Workshop would be

London SE13
Simpson (Lee) Garages
Lee High Road
Lewisham

You can call on :- Lee Green 7507 !!

taken from :- 1961 VW Service Map
harveypj
15 years ago
My 58 was always a local car around Eltham in SE London, I believe mine was originaly purchased from;

VW MOTORS LTD
Byron house,
7-9 St.James's street
London SW1

WHTtehall 9501
Stock......the new custom
rickycox
15 years ago
Rich

How did you find out in was first registered in S.E London....have you got a part time job at DVLA !!! But seriously how did you find out, still waiting for details to come from DVLA so its handy if there are " other " ways...;-)
Follow us on Twitter 
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Rich

How did you find out in was first registered in S.E London....have you got a part time job at DVLA !!! But seriously how did you find out, still waiting for details to come from DVLA so its handy if there are " other " ways...;-)

rickycox wrote:

https://www2.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm 
This would tell you who the car was first registered to, their address and possibly the dealer who supplied the car.
Might be worth dropping them an email to see if the old records still exist.
rickycox
15 years ago
Brilliant.....your a star....

It would be so funny if it ended up first registered near its home now !!

Follow us on Twitter 
rickycox
15 years ago
well the lady at the archives office said they only take 5 % of government records and that she has no trace of vehicle registration information.....bugger....
Follow us on Twitter 
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

well the lady at the archives office said they only take 5 % of government records and that she has no trace of vehicle registration information.....bugger....

rickycox wrote:

Thought that would probably be the case. Worth a try though! Up until the DVLC centralised all registration records with its new-fangled computer system in 1974, all records were held in ledgers by the individual registration offices around the country. In 1973, all offices were requested to submit their ledgers (dating back to 1904!!) to the DVLC in Swansea from where they would be manually entered onto the new computer system. Once this was complete, each individual registration office was asked if it would like its hand-written ledgers returned- most said "NO", so the DVLC destroyed them. Those offices that had their ledgers returned generally filed them in the local records office. I've been quite lucky with a few UK cars in finding out their original owner's details this way, but more often than not, the records have been destroyed.
rickycox
15 years ago
Yeah when I phoned the lady was helpful, but I got the feeing she wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for and why... so I'm gonna take a trip over there this morning, Kew is not far from here and it will be interesting even if I dont find anything....... But saying that I did a search on the National Archives site for " vehicle registraion " and it came up with quite a few results... fingers crossed
Follow us on Twitter 
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Hello there!

On the subject of Dealerships, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on were our 55 was bought from!

We have invoices from a few weeks after she was built from Abridge Engineering in Essex! Was this a dealership or was it just for repairs?

The birth certificate says that she was shipped on 10th March 55, and sent to VW motors in London. She was serviced until the early 80s at the same garage from the 50s but on none of the invoices does it say whether Abridge is a dealership or just a mechanics?

Just wondering!:d :beer:
William
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Will. According to the 1961 VW Dealership list Abridge Engineering Co Ltd was a VW dealership at Market Square, Abridge, Essex.Tel Theydon Bois 2077.
So looks like they were the supplying garage.
Rob.