JULIANROBINSON
13 years ago
Sadly nothing at all... its untouched.. 😞
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
13 years ago
I eventually bought an engine for the car, its a 25hp that needs a full rebuild... then yesterday I "found" the correct distributor in a drawer in the garage... :lol:

Today I started blasting the wheels...

I've bought rear cross members from wolf and a front valance... and the really thick grey floor pand from KK... no other progress.. just waiting for Mr welder to get to the chassis...
www.vwoval.co.uk
55Kab
13 years ago

I've bought rear cross members from wolf and a front valance... and the really thick grey floor pand from KK...

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Don't fit those pans Julian :!:

Gerson will soon have available correct pre Aug-55 pans. Worth waiting in order to fit the correct shaped items...I just wish they were available a year or so back. :(

The grey one's you'll be able to move on no problem.

54 Gertie
13 years ago
I know you've got an engine now, but is this one closer?

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=675925 

William
JULIANROBINSON
13 years ago

I know you've got an engine now, but is this one closer?

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=675925 

54 Gertie wrote:

Hello

Thanks for the link -

Dont know if it is any closer (cant remember the engine number of the other one) but the more parts the better!

I've bought it anyway!

I must be able to make 1 from 2 surely? :?

Need an early fan shroud to go with it too... :shock:
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
13 years ago
I've got it home... its an April '53 engine so a bit early as mine has a September engine, but I also have a september engine too... so maybe I can make one from the pair?

This one was not sceized, but would only do 3/4 of a turn...

So i pulled off the offending head...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

oops...

The weird thing is that the head has no markings...

UserPostedImage

Repro? Aftermarket? :?

The one on the other side has this marking -

UserPostedImage

The september engine has "proper" marking son the heads -

UserPostedImage

Can anyone tell me why the april engine has longer sleves on the barrels than the september one?

UserPostedImage

(I also have a rebuilt march '53 engine with the longer sleves too from my Irish car)

www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
13 years ago
Progress...

Here are the floor pan halves that I bought from Karmann Konnection ... they are the wrong shape at the rear but are very good quality

UserPostedImage

Hayden has been a little busy...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

It looks amazing. :mrgreen:
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
13 years ago
some close ups of some repairs...

UserPostedImage

Hayden had to cut, shut and remake the rears of the pans...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

amazing work going on.

here we were lining up the standard model seats to ensure they line up with the measurements we have for the wing nuts...

UserPostedImage

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
www.vwoval.co.uk
Kids taxi
13 years ago
Any more updates Mr R ??

KT
Im too Old for This
JULIANROBINSON
13 years ago
Chassis has been for a light blast and is now with the powder coaters .. 😎
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
13 years ago
A Powder coated chassis

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

It has has had the seams sealed and coat of grey gravitex underneath

UserPostedImage

It has now been painted black so should look good and keep the rust away.

:d
www.vwoval.co.uk
pre67vw
13 years ago
Looks great! Did you paint over the powder coat? I'd always assumed that powder coating was the final finish.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JULIANROBINSON
13 years ago
Powder coat would often be the final coating, but with something like a chassis it is good to seal the joints, so after sealing them, we put on stone chip coat and paint on top of that (only on the underside of the chassis)

Some people don't like powder coat because if it chips water gets underneath, this way its very unlikely to chip..
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
11 years ago

Today I've been raising the standard...

With a little help from my friends... well Hayden 😃

UserPostedImage

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

I got a little bored of this sitting up on stands in the way in the garage.. so I've made a frame and it can now be wheeled around..

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

www.vwoval.co.uk
bobthebuggy
11 years ago
Hi there just seen this thread and thought I must contact you, it's good to know LOW is still around and is getting the attention it deserves. I realise that this maybe too late to help but I may still have the original? engine. I bought the car in 198? with the engine having seized ( crankshaft pulley had broken up ) and managed to get another early dirty air engine from a scrap yard. I was the brazing bodger but it did pass an MOT and I didn't want to further damage the floor pans. The old engine may be at my parents house with alot of other old VW stuff inc 59 beetle etc
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Hi there bobthebuggy would love to see some photos of the 59 as i have a early one.
JULIANROBINSON
11 years ago

Hi there just seen this thread and thought I must contact you, it's good to know LOW is still around and is getting the attention it deserves. I realise that this maybe too late to help but I may still have the original? engine. I bought the car in 198? with the engine having seized ( crankshaft pulley had broken up ) and managed to get another early dirty air engine from a scrap yard. I was the brazing bodger but it did pass an MOT and I didn't want to further damage the floor pans. The old engine may be at my parents house with alot of other old VW stuff inc 59 beetle etc

bobthebuggy wrote:

Hello!

Wow, thats 3 owners on the same thread!

I'd love to know if you have it.. it would be great to re-unite it with the car.. I would love to keep it original as possbile..

Have you got any old photos of the car?

Where did you buy it? Where did you sell it?

How much do you want for the '59 :D

Have you got a phone number?

Sorry for all the questions.

Julian

www.vwoval.co.uk
bobthebuggy
11 years ago
Hi, sorry don't have photos and the memory is dim, I think I bought it in 1980-1 it was advertised in a sweet shop window in Old Coulsdon, Surrey about .25 mile from where I still live and as accurately as I can recall I paid £100 a replacement engine was got from G & GW Bridges breakers yard at Pease Pottage. In those days I worked for BT and 'borrowed' the oxy/ acetelene gear for a weekend and that was when the brazing bodges were done. At the time I had a beetle for trials/ rallying and a 'posh' car for work ( beetle, KG ) and I think my parents thought that 3 cars for 1 son was beeing a bit greedy and took up too much space so LOW had to go, it was sold to Mr Tony Higgins ( a relative of Simon Woodall of buggy fame) after about 4 Months.

The 59 was my fathers car bought when 18 months old and was taken of the road in 1975 due to a faulty gearbox and some minor rust issues with the rear body mounts unfortunately while it was being welded the headlining caught fire/ smoldered and was damaged and 'restoration' stopped, I have always intended to continue at some point but life seems to get in the way, but thats for another topic.

I have PMed my number please feel free to call for a chat.
JULIANROBINSON
11 years ago
I've actually got some letters from Tony Higgins to a Dave East from 1984 when it was sold on... 😃
www.vwoval.co.uk
JULIANROBINSON
11 years ago

Hi, sorry don't have photos and the memory is dim, I think I bought it in 1980-1 it was advertised in a sweet shop window in Old Coulsdon, Surrey about .25 mile from where I still live and as accurately as I can recall I paid £100 a replacement engine was got from G & GW Bridges breakers yard at Pease Pottage. In those days I worked for BT and 'borrowed' the oxy/ acetelene gear for a weekend and that was when the brazing bodges were done. At the time I had a beetle for trials/ rallying and a 'posh' car for work ( beetle, KG ) and I think my parents thought that 3 cars for 1 son was beeing a bit greedy and took up too much space so LOW had to go, it was sold to Mr Tony Higgins ( a relative of Simon Woodall of buggy fame) after about 4 Months.

The 59 was my fathers car bought when 18 months old and was taken of the road in 1975 due to a faulty gearbox and some minor rust issues with the rear body mounts unfortunately while it was being welded the headlining caught fire/ smoldered and was damaged and 'restoration' stopped, I have always intended to continue at some point but life seems to get in the way, but thats for another topic.

I have PMed my number please feel free to call for a chat.

bobthebuggy wrote:

Good to speak to you this morning.

Hope to speak soon about digging out the old engine. (I'm happy to meet you there to help dig it out.)
www.vwoval.co.uk