topolino
15 years ago
do you like both styles or are you so hard core you have to import german compressed air to fill your crossplies? personally i like both styles , like to see a nice stocker strollin down the road but not against mods to make them safer like radials, 12volts, even brake upgrades or heated screens, dont mind the restocal lowered stuff either look good and could be returned to stock in the future, what i dont like is custom stuff like roof chops, baja bugs,targa tops and the like, everyone has there own opinion and thats mine yours maybe differant, but one thing if it were not for all the people who have modified there cars over the years the aftermarket spare parts and imported cars would not be as great if we all ran stockers.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
LOL - why are you even asking this question on here?
This place is the oasis of standardness in the desert of modification! A shining beacon of restoness in a.... well, you get the general idea.
Even if you do like other styles, the first rule of Pre67 is "You don´t talk about modifications"*.
For the second rule - see rule one.:lol: :lol:

*Except old stuff and other "things that Rob likes".
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
15 years ago
I feel that things like radials over crossplies are a good change, if the car is going to be used more than just the occasional show!

I must say (admit:wink: ) that I do love resto cal cars because they to be fair very close to stock and dont require the big engine and trim holes welded up of the standard cal look, which looks rubbush imho anyway!:d

Although I would never myself actually lower a vw, I can appreciate how spectacular some of them are! I do however feel so many look almost identical and this is because they always use fuchs, narrowed beams and roofracks! :lol: I honestly believe that there is more diversity in the stock side of the scene!:?

But one thing I do not agree with is people hacking a bug (ovals normally) to bits just to go and take it doen the Strip at Santa Pod!:wink:
William
mrsherbie
15 years ago

LOL -the first rule of Pre67 is "You don´t talk about modifications"*.
For the second rule - see rule one.

JD wrote:

:lol:

I think most of us like some odd cars that do span across the board, because most of us have owned lowered and messed with cars in the past. I still appreciate some cars that stray from stock, I think a good car is always a good car. But over the years it becomes wearing to see people 'rejoice' (yes, I know odd choice of word but I could'nt think of better!) at finding lovely original cars, and then immediately start to remove all the special og stuff and bolt on made in Taiwan/rest of world (ie.non Germany) just last week tat, and then think they have improved a car, that was really far better before they got their hands on it! :lol:
But I like odd Cal look cars ( just not the bad attitude that comes with Cal look :? :lol: ), Resto cars, because they are so close to stock and the people are nicest ( another bad word choice? but you know what I mean! :lol: ) But the completely broken wheels roller skate look has never been for me personally.

Funnily I never liked Baha's until a few years ago, when an amazing shiny black one won best of show at Beachbuggin ( I voted for it :wink: ) I have never seen the car since? Did a guy called Ben own it? That should have been a cover car. Anyway, that was fabulous.
I like German look too, but only very high quality.

I dont like to see genuinely rare cars modified purely to get attention, ie. the papler and the Hebs. Or og paint splits and ovals butchered and hacked to fit huge engines, the strain and twist those old bodies are put under goes unseen. But then it does give us all something to moan about, which is good healthy fun! :lol:
Also I dont see any problem with people resurrecting complete old heaps and making ratrods/racecars or doing whatever they want with them! rather than see them rot and die!

Owen likes his restocal, I just prefer stock. I think I have driven so many cars over the years that were messed about with and drive really badly, that now I really appreciate getting into a car that has never been apart or fallen into the hands of a messer, and still drives 'factory' like it should :d I admit that a few fast vw's I have been in have driven great, but then those cars are generally such a mis-matched collision of parts that they are actually broken more time than they are roadworthy and who can be bothered with that rubbish! :lol:
I think thats why the resto-boys cars are the perfect mix for most people, they can play and make them look 'cool' but still have the reliability of the stock engine :d

Marla x

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
15 years ago
One thing that i dont like is someone butchering (customising? :wink: ) a car, just to get it in a magazine! What also annoys me is when at the end of said feature on that car it says, as it often does "this car is now for sale"! :roll: This just shows to me that the person has got it in the magazine, it has served its purpose and now they need to move to the next "project!":wink:

To be honest people can do what they want with campers in my opinion, they've never really "done" it for me, if you know what I mean!:wink: :lol:
William
pre67vw
15 years ago

*Except old stuff and other "things that Rob likes".

JD wrote:

:lol: I'm quite tolerant in real life, I like a lot of different stuff. I just try to keep the site focused on what it's about... which is basically old stuff and other things that I like :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
15 years ago

This place is the oasis of standardness in the desert of modification!

JD wrote:

It should say that on the main banner at the top of each page.
But people would still wonder in and ask silly questions.:roll:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

I feel that things like radials over crossplies are a good change, if the car is going to be used more than just the occasional show!

54 Gertie wrote:

You´re right of course - but they look sooo bad. Makes any old Beetle look ten years newer.

UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

:lol: I'm quite tolerant in real life, I like a lot of different stuff. I just try to keep the site focused on what it's about... which is basically old stuff and other things that I like :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

As it should be IMHO.
Plenty of other places to talk about modified stuff.
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
15 years ago

You´re right of course - but they look sooo bad. Makes any old Beetle look ten years newer.

JD wrote:

They are about as aesphetically pleasing as a huge pile of dog S**T!

At least they work better though!:wink:
William