Boris1966
15 years ago
Hello all!

I have a 1966 beetle that has been converted to 12volt. I have been struggling to sort out a problem with it's lights:

The Third fuse (from the right)blows every time i pull out the headlamp switch. On the wiring diagram this fuse is connected to the passenger tail light and the switch.

I have tried all the following:
1) Checking all the earth connections and cleaning them as needed.
2) Checking bulbs.
3) Changing tail light bulb holders.

It has been suggested that the fault may lie with the switch. Does anyone have any other ideas of where i can look for fault?
Also...... can i buy a new 12volt switch that will be compatible?

Thanks 🙂
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Hello all!

I have a 1966 beetle that has been converted to 12volt. I have been struggling to sort out a problem with it's lights:

The Third fuse (from the right)blows every time i pull out the headlamp switch. On the wiring diagram this fuse is connected to the passenger tail light and the switch.

I have tried all the following:
1) Checking all the earth connections and cleaning them as needed.
2) Checking bulbs.
3) Changing tail light bulb holders.

It has been suggested that the fault may lie with the switch. Does anyone have any other ideas of where i can look for fault?
Also...... can i buy a new 12volt switch that will be compatible?

Boris1966 wrote:

Unlikely to be the switch, but not impossible. Check that the wire to the number plate light is not shorting out on the body. Has the engine been out recently?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Boris1966
15 years ago
Thanks Rich,
Yes the engine has been out recently to change the flywheel to 12volt one so the whole car including the starter motor is now 12 volts. I believe the switch is still 6volt. I have checked the number plate light as we also suspected this might be the problem. I bought a new holder for it and bulb and cleaned the contacts. I think the third fuse is also connected to the passenger side side light and i have fiddled about with this too.
It does sound like a short of some kind rather than an earth problem......... erm....... day time use only for now!!
x Leane
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Strangely enough, I used to have a `65 that would blow the fuse on the lightswitch unless you really banged it in as quick as you could. Push it in slowly and the fuse would blow every time. Try it. Don´t think I ever did figure out what it was. Internal arcing maybe? If all else fails, I´d try a different switch. Maybe from a different year car too.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Boris1966
15 years ago
Thanks JD,
I think the plan is to find a compatible switch from a later car. The tabs are numbered and I think there are four tabs on my one but only three are being used. If i write the numbers down for the tabs does this mean i can match it to another switch and just use the correctly numbered tabs?
Thanks
Leane 🙂
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Switches aren't rated for voltage. The switch will be the same whether you are running 6v or 12v. Do you have multimeter handy (you can get these for a tenner from most DIY shops, Wilkinsons etc)?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Boris1966
15 years ago
Ah......... that's interesting about switches not being rated by voltage. Yes my boyfriend has a multimeter!
:)Leane