tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
How many paper gaskets are used on mid 50's swing axles?

Is the attached diagram correct for '55? I can see a paper gasket at (29) - this would seal the bearing carrier (27) to the drum backing plate (not shown). The next sealing is done with the O-ring (24) against the hub carrier (11).

Is there a second paper seal between the drum backing plate (not shown) and the hub carrier (11)?

Apologies for the elementary questions but I can't find my Bentley manual anywhere. The early Haynes is somewhat vague in this area too.  swingaxleparts.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Ovalbug
15 years ago
Think that the earlier models didn't have paper gaskets?
Here's a scan from the 52/57 official VW workshop manual and there's no paper gaskets to be seen?

UserPostedImage

:wink:

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Thanks very much for the diagram. That's exactly how I had reassembled the hubs to date... and they weeped oil.

Perhaps I damaged the oil seals the last time. It was at the end of a long day when I fitted them and they didn't go in evenly to begin with, so I may have distorted them. A bad workman always blames his seals, eh?! :)

I don't have anything conclusive about the source of the weeping but, given the continuous VW improvements, should I fit the outer paper gasket anyway? There's more than enough to keep the 'correctness Police' busy on my car without worrying about hub gaskets! :lol:
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab