JARV
  • JARV
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Does anyone know where I can get the rivets for a '52 Split pope's nose, the one's that hold the bulb holder in place and are fitted from the left and right hand side of the outside of the 'nose'??

Thanks,

Jarv.
'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'64 Karmann Beetle Cabriolet
'67 Camper (RHD)
'07 T5 175 LWB Window Van

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
14 years ago
I know this is'nt going to be very helpful, but they are not something that there is usually any need to drill out, so it is not a standard item as such, I cant say I have seen one drilled out, I think you might have to get 'creative' with modern rivets or domed headed screws and filler if you cant find old style rivets? (which are about but finding the right size etc might take a while as they are tiny?) or try some of the vintage restoration consumable suppliers.
To be honest I would just get a better complete popes nose!

But I see it looks like they have done a similar thing in this KN pic, go to parts, electrical, :

Kaefer Nostalgie 
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
JARV
  • JARV
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
The nose itself is fine - but if you look at the originals then the rivets are put in after the nose is painted - just want to go for right look if I can....
'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'67 Camper (RHD)

Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Lots of places should be able to supply you with 'dome head' rivets. Measure the diameter and do some 'phoning around (ask for samples rather than buying some)...
https://www.kellysearch.co.uk/gb-product-128973.html 
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mrsherbie
14 years ago

The nose itself is fine - but if you look at the originals then the rivets are put in after the nose is painted - just want to go for right look if I can....

JARV wrote:

are they? I cant say I have even noticed! :lol: I hope you dont take this the wrong way, as I dont mean it to sound as bad as it is going to, but, if your car is lowered so not exactly 100% to detail spec, surely this tiny detail is a bit anal?

no forget I said that! :lol: put it another way, removing good original rivets only to replace with brand new, that are unlikely to be identical seems a bit arse about face to me? can you not just mask the rivets with something so they dont get painted or just scratch it off after? its just not something I have heard of people doing before myself.
54 Gertie
14 years ago
This is not great photo (Richard Leggs as discussed! :wink: ) but it looks as if the rivets are painted body colour (og paint car). I may be wrong.

It is however faded and not a great photo!

Also as Anna says, why not spray as normal then spend a bit of time with a small knife getting the paint off?

UserPostedImage
William
JARV
  • JARV
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago

are they? I cant say I have even noticed! :lol: I hope you dont take this the wrong way, as I dont mean it to sound as bad as it is going to, but, if your car is lowered so not exactly 100% to detail spec, surely this tiny detail is a bit anal?

The front of the Beetle you can see in my avatar is my wifes '58 beetle and yes it is lowered - if you look through the threads you'll see that I'm restoring a '52 which will be totally stock as VW intended!

no forget I said that! :lol: put it another way, removing good original rivets only to replace with brand new, that are unlikely to be identical seems a bit arse about face to me? can you not just mask the rivets with something so they dont get painted or just scratch it off after? its just not something I have heard of people doing before myself.

mrsherbie wrote:

The front of the Beetle you can see in my avatar is my wifes '58 beetle and yes it is lowered - if you look through the threads you'll see that I'm restoring a '52 which will be totally stock as VW intended!

If I can't get the right one's then that's what I'll do (mask them off / scrape off paint / or maybe just leave them painted)- I'm only going by what I have seen on original noses that I've seen for sale at KN / Samba etc. just thought I'd ask the experts :d

'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'67 Camper (RHD)

mrsherbie
14 years ago
I just so knew you were going to catch me out! :lol:

There are not many experts here I think we are mostly a right bunch of moaners :lol:

I have looked at a pic of our og car and I cant see but I am sure they are painted, but I know we have a nos split one and the body is dark grey and the rivets metal like you say, but then this would all get painted. I know we have lots of them somewhere in og paint and I will ask my boy who knows the answers to all this odd stuff :d
JARV
  • JARV
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
I know it's a bit anal but whilst it's being painted it's the right time to get these little items right. I've sourced a lot of correct items for this car so hopefully it'll be spot on when finished, I was hoping to have it at Stanford Hall at the weekend but realistically it would have been too much of a rush so I will definately have it ready for the Historic show at Cosford in Early May (fingers crossed)

'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'67 Camper (RHD)

pre67vw
14 years ago
or in the UK: https://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JARV