Hobbes
  • Hobbes
  • Regular Topic Starter
20 years ago
I have my '67 coming along pretty good, and i just bought a new shifter (because my old one was worn out).

Anyhow, It seems to have trouble getting into first and second gear when DOWNshifting. sometimes it won't go into first at all, but rather FEEL like it's in first but it's really in THIRD.. and sometimes second gear will not go in, then try to go into REVERSE gear. I've aligned the stick to perfection many times, but as time goes by the problem keeps returning.

Being that i can get it to work, but eventually the problems return, is it the transmission, or do you think the stick keeps coming unadjusted?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Moby5153
20 years ago
Is this a stock shifter or something like a Berg? Either way it may be a good idea to check you have no freeplay in the plastic bush on the gearshift rod (tunnel, under the gearshift) and in the coupling at the rear.
Larry
19 years ago
Hobbes,

I agree with Moby. The first place that I would check would be the plastic coupling under the shifter. This is not an easy job to do but is well worth the effort. I think that you should take the time to replace it anyway since you took the time to replace the shifter. I replaced the couplings on both of my bugs and it made a tremendous difference in the way they now shift; nice and firm.

Second opinion,
Larry
Enjoy life to the fullest - in a VINTAGE VW
Larry
19 years ago
Hobbes,

:oops: Opps - I worded that incorrectly. I just got out of bed.

Replace the "plastic bush" under the shifter and the "coupling" under the rear seat.

Larry
coop
19 years ago
i too am having trouble shifting... i bought my very first beelte just over a month ago, and i wish i had read the "how to buy a VW guide before i hahand" i love it to death but am a bit worried i may have to replace the transmission.

i have a tough time getting it into first when at a stop, my husband explained gear sizes to me & i attributed this problem to the gear "thingy" being smaller in first. So i started sticking it in second while at a stop then slipping it into first; that seemed to work for the last couple of weeks, but now about 7 out of 10 times am have difficulty getting it into reverse too with out groaning:/

Hopefully it is just the "freeplay or plastic coupling" as noted above, but, out of curiosity - what do you think the repairs would amount to Ca$h wise? I dont think this is the first job i want to tackle and I am not able to do any of the work myself as i live in an apartment and the strata would have a fit if you know what i mean, but i really want to get my hands dirty & will have to find somewhere else to learn how to do my first oil change and be one with my beetle : )

thanks in advance for any advice/information.

Cheers
Deana aka "coop"
coop
19 years ago
i too am having trouble shifting... i bought my very first beelte just over a month ago, and i wish i had read the "how to buy a VW guide before i hahand" i love it to death but am a bit worried i may have to replace the transmission.

i have a tough time getting it into first when at a stop, my husband explained gear sizes to me & i attributed this problem to the gear "thingy" being smaller in first. So i started sticking it in second while at a stop then slipping it into first; that seemed to work for the last couple of weeks, but now about 7 out of 10 times am have difficulty getting it into reverse too with out groaning:/

Hopefully it is just the "freeplay or plastic coupling" as noted above, but, out of curiosity - what do you think the repairs would amount to Ca$h wise? I dont think this is the first job i want to tackle and I am not able to do any of the work myself as i live in an apartment and the strata would have a fit if you know what i mean, but i really want to get my hands dirty & will have to find somewhere else to learn how to do my first oil change and be one with my beetle : )

Cheers
Deana aka "coop"
coop
19 years ago

Cheers
Deana aka "coop"
coop
19 years ago

Cheers
Deana aka "coop"
coop
19 years ago
sorry - i think my mac had a bit of a hiccup (4 posts of the same thing ugh!) hopefully that doesn't mirror my mechanical abilities : )

coop (again) :oops:
Larry
19 years ago
Coop,

It could either be the shifter, the clutch or the transmission. How much would it cost to repair either of those? That really depends on WHO does the work and where YOU live. That is a classic line but it is the truth. For the "same repair job" one person would pay very little money to the other individual having to pay a tremendous amount.

And also you live in an apartment which restricts your abilities to work on your car yourself; been in that situation myself. You have to start somewhere so start asking people where you live if they know who might be able to assist you. You will learn very quickly whom you can trust and whom not to trust. All of us have been on that trail too.

Good luck,
Larry
coop
19 years ago
thanks for the info Larry..good advice and much appreciated.

I know where you are coming from re: Classic response i suppose i was hoping you could magically pull out a ballpark $ figure. I am a canadian now residing in australia & alot of the time, people think they can charge me more because i am mistook for a tourist :/ I have been reading up on my beetle so hopefully he will be honest, it is afterall called Swiss automotive

deana
six-o-one
19 years ago
Is there a local VW club you could join?
It's a geat head start being able to talk to others who can recommend local repair shops, and someone close by might be able to offer you a garage to work in for a while.

coop
19 years ago
that was a great idea, i should have thought of that myself..silly girl : ) eh. oh well taking the beetle to a local shop tomorrow - seems like a good guy and runs a veedub shop and drives a vw - so all is looking up.

cheers

Larry
19 years ago
Deana,

Keep this is mind as well - ALWAYS ask for an estimate FIRST. Don't just take your car to any mechanic and say "fix it". When the problem/s is found always ask what options that you have that will effect the total cost involved. AND, do your homework so that you will at least have some idea of what they will tell you. This is especially helpful if you are on a tight budget.

Larry