1962bug
14 years ago
Firstly hello, been reading this forum for a while but have only just posted. Am currently looking for an oval and have 4k to 5k to spend. Would prefer rhd & ragtop but would consider lhd. needs to be MOT'd and need minimal work for next 3 to 4 years whilst I restore my 62 currently in garage.

Feel free to give feedback as to am I being realistic or not as this will be the first time I've owned an oval.

Cheers

Jamie

P.S Bo Jangles, having seen your oval today, are you sure you don't want to sell it!!!!!!:twisted:
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
depends how fussy you are..., if your really fussy like me, u probably wont find anything, if you dont mind welded cars with incorrect panels, interiors etc theres plenty around within your budget
1962bug
14 years ago

Thanks, have requested details from the seller and also what sort of price he's looking for, so fingers crossed.

Stu, don't mind too much as the 62 I've got is for me to practice my welding skills etc on and then the oval if I get one will get the full treatment in 4 years time, so as long as the basics are right hopefully the rest will come and it gives me time to collect the right parts if necessary

Cheers

Jamie
UserPostedImage
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Thanks, have requested details from the seller and also what sort of price he's looking for, so fingers crossed.

Stu, don't mind too much as the 62 I've got is for me to practice my welding skills etc on and then the oval if I get one will get the full treatment in 4 years time, so as long as the basics are right hopefully the rest will come and it gives me time to collect the right parts if necessary

Cheers

Jamie

1962bug wrote:

ok, but bare in mind that some panels for ovals arent avaliable & you may have to use later panels, the corners of the rear bulkhead for example, no one as far as i know makes a correct panel for an oval in this area, you'll struggle with correct heater channels too
GKL 7
14 years ago
IMHO,I think 4/5K is low to expect a sunroof car,in a road going condition(even LHD)

Other than heater channels,Steve Hook of Hooky's panels will make you any repair section you need.
Various manufacturers are on the brink of releasing heater channels.
g4rfy
14 years ago
Hello everyone, I am new.

For what its worth I have just purchased a 56 Ragtop (LHD) which has never been welded and needed a few minor bits for an MOT.

What I thought initially to be a bargain 😳 has turned into a financial black hole......if you want my advice spend now and save later.

G
pre67vw
14 years ago

Hello everyone, I am new.

For what its worth I have just purchased a 56 Ragtop (LHD) which has never been welded and needed a few minor bits for an MOT.

What I thought initially to be a bargain 😳 has turned into a financial black hole......if you want my advice spend now and save later.

G

g4rfy wrote:

Hello and welcome. Was it not what you thought? What was the problem?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
g4rfy
14 years ago
Thank you.

The work is all mechanical and to be honest a bit self inflicted as I elected to keep the 912 engine that had been fitted somewhen ago.

As soon as you mention Porsche the price quadruples!

G
pre67vw
14 years ago
And soon as you mention a porsche in a 56 then we want pictures :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
g4rfy
14 years ago
Apologies to the author of this thread, I appear to have hijacked it!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Pictures as requested......although the engine looks a bit different at the moment!

UserPostedImage

:shock:
69project
14 years ago
did it fall apart then,remember the for sale ad and the guy seemed quite genuine plus a 5k asking price???
Car less.....
g4rfy
14 years ago
Not sure.........something weird happened here.

A nylock nut fell down the right hand inlet manifold and trapped the valve open and hit and destroyed the piston. (VW didnt uses these nuts in the 50s.....not sure they were even invented!)

The car is solid and the guy that I bought the car off was very honest.

I think the 'sabotage' could have happened subsequently, but as I cannot prove anything I need to get it fixed and grin and bear the further expense.

I sound bitter, I truly am not, in a funny way I am glad it happened at 600rpm in my workshop not at 70mph+

The engine should be back in and running by the end of next week! :d

1962bug
14 years ago

Apologies to the author of this thread, I appear to have hijacked it!

:shock:

g4rfy wrote:

No problem, did see this advertised but didn't have the money at the time!!
UserPostedImage
64rotbox
14 years ago

G

g4rfy wrote:

It's just bad luck (or something more sinister, as you say). That car is still a stone cold bargain for what it is, even without the 912 engine it would have been a good buy. I'm one of the many people who'd have happily snapped it up had I not spent all my cash on various wrecks which are still unfinished... :roll: I'm amazed it took so long for anyone to buy it, but that's your gain. No, really! A year ago I'd have baulked at paying £5kish for a LHD Oval, but having seen the dozens of heaps for sale for the £3-4k mark recently I think it's the only way to go...
You can call me Al.
g4rfy
14 years ago
You are right 64' I know what I have is good value and am hoping that once the engine is rebuilt I can enjoy a truly remarkable car.

I work with cars each and every day of my life and I have staff that still cannot believe that the car is over 50 years old and has so little rust.....:d
VW Stan
14 years ago
It does seem to make sense to spend top dollar on something 100% solid if you can, rather than end up spending more money and more time and effort getting a cheaper rusty car to the same standard!

Unless it's 'extra' rare or you enjoy welding!

:wink:

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Judson53
14 years ago

It does seem to make sense to spend top dollar on something 100% solid if you can, rather than end up spending more money and more time and effort getting a cheaper rusty car to the same standard!

Unless it's 'extra' rare or you enjoy welding!

:wink:

VW Stan wrote:

At least if you do it your self you know whats been done and its not hiding anything :twisted:
VW Stan
14 years ago

At least if you do it your self you know whats been done and its not hiding anything :twisted:

Judson53 wrote:

Yep, there is that possible downside to buying a 'restored' car as you've been unfortunate to discover. :?

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!