Steve Rutter
14 years ago
All,

Need to replace the front & rear screen rubbers on my 1960 model beetle, the original rubber has finally had enough !!

Is this a straghtforward procedure, or should be left for the experts ?

Any hints /tips appreciated, also any recommendations for "experts" in the Brighton area.....

thanks,

Steve
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
VW Stan
14 years ago
I've had a go a few times and have never had any luck getting the connecting piece for the trim so sit in place!

The rubbers are fairly easy though.
Make sure they are nice and warm
Plenty of car shampoo to lubricate the string (doesn't contain salt like washing-up liquid)
And ideally at least two friends to push on the glass while you pull the rubber over the lip with the string.

M
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Sunroof53
14 years ago
I always put the trim in the window before i fit them.Theres plenty of info on the net try googling.
GKL 7
14 years ago

I always put the trim in the window before i fit them.Theres plenty of info on the net try googling.

Sunroof53 wrote:

Yes fo sho,you must put the trim in the rubber before fitting.
Sunroof53
14 years ago

Yes fo sho,you must put the trim in the rubber before fitting.

'50 Karmann wrote:

https://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum  :wink:
mrsherbie
14 years ago
I use KY jelly in a tube, works a treat. But you will need someone to do it with you, its not a one man job ( OI! STOP before you lot even start, NO JOKES or smut on here or I will report you to the master! 😳 :d ) I dont think its worth the increased risk of breaking the screens trying solo. I have been putting off us doing my ovals screen for over a year now as it makes me so anxious :lol: If you dont fancy doing it, try Phil & Nathan at RestoClassics in Hastings 01424 445020 as they are trustworthy with such a nice car as yours and more than capable ( they've been doing a lot of odd jobs on our cars recently, and I am an evil witch as a customer as I dont trust anyone with my cars!* :lol: )

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
14 years ago

saw that,couldn't possibly have meant me:oops: