pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago
Some of you may remember my plans to take the Oval on the Budapest/Bamako rally with my friend Paul.

Unfortunately due to the recent developments in Mauritania & Mali such as this:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8401255.stm 
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8408197.stm 

The UK Foreign office now adivises not to travel there, so having a family etc. I've decided not to go :cry:

However, my friend Paul doesn't worry about these types of warnings and the organisers of the rally are planning on getting military protection through these places - so he's decided he's still going to go. He's leaving for Budapest today, hopefully he'll be updating the blog from the road (coverage permitting) so if anyone's interested you can follow here .

I was out in the cold on Saturday making a bracket to hold the spare tyre onto the roof rack, then he was off to do some more last minute fixes (wipers had died).

So best of luck to you Paul!  IMG_3634.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
VW Stan
14 years ago
That's a shame Rob, bet you've been looking forward to this for ages. Must be a real disappointment. :?

But good luck Paul! 😎
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago

That's a shame Rob, bet you've been looking forward to this for ages. Must be a real disappointment. :?

But good luck Paul! 😎

VW Stan wrote:

It is a disappointment yeah, but I never really wanted danger - I wanted an epic trip through fantastic scenery. Anywhere that you need military protection to travel through doesn't really float my boat.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mrsherbie
14 years ago
I agree good call :beer: When I was young & single I backpacked alone usually broke through some dangerous situations/countries. I often think back and shudder.
Nowadays I wont even go to Thailand :lol: Dangerous holidays are for other far more mad people nowadays :lol:

I bet he will enjoy himself though and the car looks excellent! and at least with you here we can follow his progress! UserPostedImage So make sure he knows he is the pre67 flagship mascot and as such we are all following and expecting a win for the oval! UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
14 years ago

I wont even go to Thailand :lol: Dangerous holidays

mrsherbie wrote:

Those Ladyboys are lethal.:roll:
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago
Not looking good... :cry:

https://kaferkidz.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/no-more-in-namur/ 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
vintagebug
14 years ago

He's stuck in Belgium..... put out an emergency call to BBT Bob, Guido or Pascal!! :d

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago
The rally was cut short due to the threat of terrorism in Mauritania/Mali (gutted because I could have gone). It ended in Agadir in Morocco, Paul made it... just

Car is now back in blighty, running on three cylinders and leaking oil badly.

561.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  584.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  600.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  604.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  641.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  643.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  659.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  693.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  724.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
harveypj
14 years ago
😎 Well done

They are really super pictures.

Will the car make it to Stanford Hall?

Stock......the new custom
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago

Will the car make it to Stanford Hall?

harveypj wrote:

Maybe yeah, if we can get the engine sorted out... But it's not very stock - so not sure where to park it :twisted: :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW