Poll Question: Should there be a post 67 aircooled VW section? (Poll is closed)

Total: 18

48REME
14 years ago

Agree totally but isn't that what life is about? Evolution? I would think that in the 50's the reality is a lot of VW's were sold to people who couldn't afford anything more expensive (as has always been the case with all makes of car).

There were a lot around because for the money that's what it got you. Today, through motoring evolution the equvilant car is comfortable, fast, ecomonical and probably has leccy windows, power steering, air-con, CD player, air bags, ABS and so on.

Now to ignore all that for every day use is just plain daft and I assume is the reason the last time I saw an original 50's VW on the road was in Britain was..........err........I can't remember, and if I could I bet it was probably en-route to a VW show. I bet even at places like Peppercorn more vintage VW owners turn up in their euro-box than take their old VW.

As to no-one ever honking you for not seeing semaphores, I sincerely urge you to fit flashing orange indicators as it's only a matter of time before some git wearing a sleeveless top, baseball cap and 5 o'clock shadow hits you from behind whilst driving his comfortable, fast and ecomonical euro-box!!! :wink:

55Kab wrote:

I think each to their own, really. I personally don't drive my 'vintage' car with 'evolution' in mind. I drive it because it's a living testament to another era, made from obsolete parts which have charm and I like being surrounded by everything made in 1959 (apart from my new paintjob!) and actually forget the modern world for a while.
I think you'll find that people who go to vintage shows generally love to make the effort to come with their classic cars and will only take the euro-box there as a last resort because of a last minute breakdown on behalf of their old toy! (I am not counting the cheats who trolley their cars on trailers here).
I wouldn't use my car every day though, mostly because it would have to sit outside in the rain and that would hurt!
I usually end up having great chats at petrol stations with a 'git wearing a sleeveless top, baseball cap and 5 o'clock shadow', asking all sorts of questions about a car that he would otherwise never see if I didn't make the effort to bring it out.
I know it's a risk driving these old tanks but I am not taking my car with me to my grave so I might as well enjoy while I can!:wink:
Sunroof53
14 years ago

Having an 11C that's had a ragtop put in, currently fitted with a supercharged 30hp, I guess I'm not a purist. Neither of these 'modifications' prevent the car being a 'good vintage VW' IMHO though.

To be honest, I'm not sure I am going to take my car to any shows this year, as I can't be bothered with the bitchy criticism that I get for it 'not being a real 11G.' I have spoken to a few other Split owners who feel exactly the same way with their cars as well, who don't take their cars to shows any longer because they can't be bothered with the criticism that they get. It's a shame really.

Rhodrich wrote:

Dont let these people spoil your enjoyment .The spoilers are a minority and the majority love to see cars like yours.I can understand that when you put so much into a car it can get personal, but we really are only talking about a handful of people that thrive on critcism .I say bring it to Stanford ,rise above the small minded and enjoy the day.
For most of us whether its cal look,resto or stock it doesnt matter ,they are all branches from the same tree.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago
What's the problem with driving an old VW in 'modern' traffic? Where I live there are constant 40mph roadworks or even slower traffic jams - so speed is very rarely a problem. Nobody seems to indicate these days anyway, so semaphores don't seem to be a problem. These are some of the lamest excuses for 'upgrading'!

I don't like the idea of someone cutting a great big hole in the roof of a split to make a fake 11G, but to be completely honest if a real one and a fake one were parked next to each other I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference unless it was done really badly and it's up to the owner what they want to do to their car anyway.

I don't consider myself a purist at all, if I thought the cars looked better lowered with alloys then I'd go ahead and do it - but they don't :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

To be honest, I'm not sure I am going to take my car to any shows this year, as I can't be bothered with the bitchy criticism that I get for it 'not being a real 11G.'

Rhodrich wrote:

Please make sure you take it to some shows, it's one of the nicest Splits around.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Please make sure you take it to some shows, it's one of the nicest Splits around.

Rich Oakley wrote:

X2, put it in the historic display at Stanford Hall. Thats if its not full of resto-cals.

William
55Kab
14 years ago

What's the problem with driving an old VW in 'modern' traffic?

pre67vw wrote:

well it's alright where you are, the most dangerous things on the road are those tractors pulling trailers full of turnips! :lol:

and

if I thought the cars looked better lowered with alloys then I'd go ahead and do it - but they don't :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

WORD :!: :lol:
55Kab
14 years ago

put it in the historic display at Stanford Hall

54 Gertie wrote:

Keep up, he can't. Anna said the rules are no modifications and he's cut a bloody big hole in the roof! :lol: :lol:
mrsherbie
14 years ago

X2, put it in the historic display at Stanford Hall. Thats if its not full of resto-cals.

54 Gertie wrote:

x3 I HOPE you are going to this year!

Your car is certainly FAR more correct looking than mine!

I could'nt care less what anyone else thinks about my 50, it is my car not theirs! and no ones opinion of anything of mine matters to me, and I am sure you are the same. I actually think there is more jealousy involved with your car by critics who mostly are not even split owners anyway! I dont suffer this problem with mine as it is not remotely as pretty as yours! My car is more your car's ugly stepsister :lol:

Later sunroof additions dont affect a cars stock appearance! ( we have a 56 with a let in roof (but its not remotely stock! shh:lol: )

The only thing I dont like is when people deliberately try to trick people. example the cal look 'brown split sunroof' that was at Stonor09 that I keep seeing referred to on the net as a sunroof zwitter, when it is actually a black 56(I think from memory) oval that has had both a rear window graft and sunroof graft!
You can't 'make' a zwitter! cal knobs :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Si Med
14 years ago
Not to be controversial, but i would love to see a break down of owners of stock vw's ages. and im talking about true enthusiasts not just someone you know who drives a stock beetle.

As it happens im 21 and drive a 56 uk rhd lowered on original steels. I have spent god knows how much getting it correct, so thanks to some of the gurus on here ;)

I also have no doubt in the future i will regret lowering it and return it to stock but for now i love it 😎
54 UK rhd
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Not to be controversial, but i would love to see a break down of owners of stock vw's ages. and im talking about true enthusiasts not just someone you know who drives a stock beetle.

As it happens im 21 and drive a 56 uk rhd lowered on original steels. I have spent god knows how much getting it correct, so thanks to some of the gurus on here ;)

I also have no doubt in the future i will regret lowering it and return it to stock but for now i love it 😎

Si Med wrote:

I'm also 21.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
14 years ago

I'm also 21.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Me aswell (x2+10).
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
Yep I think you'll find us stock loving VW owners are mostly over the age of 40. We like all kinds of music, beyond X factor, thoughtful film beyond Star Wars and literature that doesn't come with a staple through her navel.

Stereotypes are always perceived as accurate by those who hold them. What you'll find as you get older is that you'll fight against being pigeon-holed so don't try it with people who drive stock cars, they're all kinds and all ages. Long may it be so.:d
John.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Agree totally but isn't that what life is about? Evolution? I would think that in the 50's the reality is a lot of VW's were sold to people who couldn't afford anything more expensive (as has always been the case with all makes of car).

There were a lot around because for the money that's what it got you. Today, through motoring evolution the equvilant car is comfortable, fast, ecomonical and probably has leccy windows, power steering, air-con, CD player, air bags, ABS and so on.

Now to ignore all that for every day use is just plain daft and I assume is the reason the last time I saw an original 50's VW on the road was in Britain was..........err........I can't remember, and if I could I bet it was probably en-route to a VW show. I bet even at places like Peppercorn more vintage VW owners turn up in their euro-box than take their old VW.

As to no-one ever honking you for not seeing semaphores, I sincerely urge you to fit flashing orange indicators as it's only a matter of time before some git wearing a sleeveless top, baseball cap and 5 o'clock shadow hits you from behind whilst driving his comfortable, fast and ecomonical euro-box!!! :wink:

55Kab wrote:

As someone else said, it´s not about having the most modern or up to date car. Quite the opposite I would say. After all, if a new car is what you want, or need, then you would presumably go and buy one. I enjoy my car, with all it´s shortcomings, as a sort of time machine. Want to feel what it was like driving a car in 1958? Then come and have a go in my car. No I wouldn´t want to drive it every day, but I rather doubt you´ll be doing that in yours either. I can appreciate everything that you´re doing to your car, and you can modify it as much as you want, but you know it´ll be every bit as much of a toy when its done as mine is. (Just a tiny bit faster/better handling/shinier!) If thats what you want from it, then fair play to you, it´ll be a beautiful car, but it´ll still be a toy.

And yes, everyone should have flashing indictators!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Si Med
14 years ago

Yep I think you'll find us stock loving VW owners are mostly over the age of 40.
Stereotypes are always perceived as accurate by those who hold them. What you'll find as you get older is that you'll fight against being pigeon-holed so don't try it with people who drive stock cars, they're all kinds and all ages. Long may it be so.:d

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Thanks for the reply, and for the record i wasn't pigeon holing at all more hoping someone closer to my age with more common sense than myself would stand up and say, ye i drive a stock car.
I think younger generations are more susceptible to fashions and trends, but my god i hope they carry as much passion in future to returning to stock. Just think of the resto cal guys who will spend thousands on a pair of og fuch. If they applied so much time, effort, money and passion to a stock motor quite how good they will be.
I for one really appreciate this forum so thanks all. Rich & 50 karmamm fancy coming to a rave this weekend followed by paintball the morning after? :twisted:
54 UK rhd
55Kab
14 years ago

As someone else said, it´s not about having the most modern or up to date car. Quite the opposite I would say. After all, if a new car is what you want, or need, then you would presumably go and buy one. I enjoy my car, with all it´s shortcomings, as a sort of time machine. Want to feel what it was like driving a car in 1958? Then come and have a go in my car. No I wouldn´t want to drive it every day, but I rather doubt you´ll be doing that in yours either. I can appreciate everything that you´re doing to your car, and you can modify it as much as you want, but you know it´ll be every bit as much of a toy when its done as mine is. (Just a tiny bit faster/better handling/shinier!) If thats what you want from it, then fair play to you, it´ll be a beautiful car, but it´ll still be a toy.

And yes, everyone should have flashing indictators!

JD wrote:

Agree James. At the end of the day it's horses for courses but hopefully people are balanced enough and honest enough to appreciate all areas of the VW scene, I know I do.

Yes the 55 will be a toy. I've always said that and one of the reasons for this is even with its modifications I don't believe a 55 year old car is practical to use everyday in today's environment and for the reasons I mentioned above, I'd much rather be driving a euro-box every day! Just my view.

Personally I don't agree with all the rose-tinted bull > I'm living in the past feeling by driving a stock old car of any make (exactly as James May says). Ever since I saw Mk.2 Jags on the Vicarage Cars stand at the 84 Earls Court Motor Show where Vicarge took a car and rebuilt it with modern unpinnings I thought that's the way forward and that in essense is my thinking behind the 55, so that when I DO drive it, it will go a little faster and handle and stop a little better. Now that's not to say I don't want to ever own a standard car but for the moment (and I'm already over 40) my preference is to own and drive a modified car over a standard car anyday! :wink:

GKL 7
14 years ago

Want to feel what it was like driving a car in 1958? Then come and have a go in my car.

JD wrote:

Or you could just ask John"lifeintheslowlane"Moxon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
BUM BUM
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

Or you could just ask John"lifeintheslowlane"Moxon.

BUM BUM

'50 Karmann wrote:

There ARE more elderly here...I won't be so indelicate to mention names here.:wink: I passed my test in September 1966.
John.
westy77
14 years ago
I like most VW`s be it stock/modified in some way, plus from all ages, also other makes of cars if they interest me. If I had more money and storage space I would like a bone stock oval bug, but I dont so just have the one aircooled bug (a 59) it is lowered and has a 5" narrowed beam, it does drive/handle/turn just as well or better than the stock 56 I used to have, so people who say that lowering/narrowing makes a bug handle badly etc has either not been in one or one thats been done badly, ok mine isnt silly low, but I have no problems driving it in the bad pot hole riddled streets of Sheffield, or in and around London(where I now live), also drove it to Camberg and Wolfsburg with no problems at all, ok my car will not be to a lot of peoples tastes, but its incorrect to say a lowered car does not drive ok.

UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
14 years ago

I like most VW`s be it stock/modified in some way, plus from all ages, also other makes of cars if they interest me. If I had more money and storage space I would like a bone stock oval bug, but I dont so just have the one aircooled bug (a 59) it is lowered and has a 5" narrowed beam, it does drive/handle/turn just as well or better than the stock 56 I used to have, so people who say that lowering/narrowing makes a bug handle badly etc has either not been in one or one thats been done badly, ok mine isnt silly low, but I have no problems driving it in the bad pot hole riddled streets of Sheffield, or in and around London(where I now live), also drove it to Camberg and Wolfsburg with no problems at all, ok my car will not be to a lot of peoples tastes, but its incorrect to say a lowered car does not drive ok.

UserPostedImage

westy77 wrote:

Your car is one of the few that actually look better lowered etc. I think it would look odd stock, but with the original paint.

If it were restored, it would go straight up for me however. :lol:
William
westy77
14 years ago

Your car is one of the few that actually look better lowered etc. I think it would look odd stock, but with the original paint.

If it were restored, it would go straight up for me however. :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

Yes I agree, if it was stock I would probably want it painted. As I said I do like a nice paint (pref origonal) stock bug, just when I saw mine for sale it was perfect for me as I want to be able to drive it anywhere and park it anywhere without worrying about someone for example opening a door into it in a car park etc, and I would worry.

An example is my daily work car (a Passat) was recently damaged on the M11 by the sunroof of the car in front making a bid for freedom and smashing into the from of me at 70mph. It needed new bumper, trims, repainted bonnet/roof/boot lid, new windscreen, this was done a couple of months ago and it looked great, like a new car, since then a stone has hit my screen causing a 12" crack in the corner and a gritter wagon gritting has taken chips of paint off the bonnet, if that was my bug just freshly painted i would be 1) pissed 2) thinking why did I bother.

But what i do love about the shows we have, especially Stanford Hall, Bad Camberg is that I can enjoy other peoples lovely looking stock cars with nice paint without any of the worry. There is also the the thing where people who attend shows dont respct cars and paw them/ lean on them etc, I get them pawing mine the rare times it gets to a show, but its not a problem, tis funny when I hear some of them saying its rust thats painted on or that it can no way have an MOT