Arminius
14 years ago
Looking to purchase a Beeskow, any condition (would prefer unrestored), anywhere. Dearly appreciate any leads.

Many thanks

Will (UK)
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pbaptist
14 years ago

Looking to purchase a Beeskow, any condition (would prefer unrestored), anywhere. Dearly appreciate any leads.

Many thanks

Will (UK)

Arminius wrote:

Join the club of people looking for a Beeskow.

Of the 34 knows, there is currently one available for sale, but in a very bad condition. It is already owned by several people and all these people decided to buy another beeskow in stead of restoring this one.

But, as soon as I found one, you will be on my list

Regards
Patrick
Owner of a Rometsch Lawrence Convertible
overrestored
14 years ago
The best way to buy a Beeskow... is to get to know the owners of the existing cars. Most of the Beeskows that sell... sell between people who know each other. Shows like Hessich Oldendorf, Bad Camberg, and Rich Kimball's VW Treffen will have Beeskows show up occasionally... but these cars are usually the cars owned by collectors... and they are not going to be for sale... but the owners may know about other owners... and these other owners are usually at the shows... but without their cars. It usually takes years of searching... and a lot of work... and then just plain old luck... to buy a beeskow. It took me over 10 years to finally buy one... and I was searching very hard. (pre internet days)

Most of the cars that might be for sale... already have a long list of suitors... waiting... romancing the owners... etc. calling every few months in the hopes of being there at the right time.

Some people contact the registry... looking for names and addresses of the owners of all the cars. The registry is not meant to be a contact list for people who want to buy cars... it is a contact list between owners... so they can get together to make parts... and discuss restoration problems and solutions etc. The registry will not give out names and addresses of owners.... this wouldn't be very popular with them.

It is far cheaper to buy a beeeskow in good condition... than it is to restore one that is in poor condition. The restoration costs are exponentially higher than most cars due to the construction method and materials. (unless you are an aluminum body worker and can do the work yourself) The cost to restore these cars is why so many of them are no longer with us I would guess. They were just too expensive to repair after an accident... and were taken to the scrapyard.

I only know of 3 in unrestored condition... that are actually drivable. the balance are some sort of restoration... either bad or good... or they are cars that need total restoration and are missing parts. Occasionally... maybe once every 5 years or so... a new one pops up and is quickly sold two or three times until it finds it's way into a collectors hands.

There are museums actively searching for beeskows... and there are collectors actively searching... so you need to work harder than the next guy to find one for sale.

Sorry to sound so depressing... but there are only around 30 cars... and there are more than 30 people who want one.

There are a couple of cars that we don't have info on... but that we have seen photos of... so these will probably come out of the woodwork someday. Some lucky person will be at the right place at the right time.

another thing... might be to track down the owners of the car dealers in the US or Europe that sold the cars when new... they may have info on owners that bought the cars when new. Nobody to my knowledge has done this. It would be great to have this information... to hear the stories... somebody needs to do this. These men are probably in their 80's and 90's.... and their knowledge could lead to more cars being discovered in garages.

Happy hunting.

protect me from what I want
Arminius
14 years ago
Seems i have my work cut out! From preliminary investigations i appear to have missed one by little more than a month. However i have waited before for the 'right' thing to be available and i can wait again. Many thanks for all the advice, Eric i very much appreciate the help you have given me thus far, truly a great ambassador for the cars.
Arminius
14 years ago
On another note, where is closest Beeskow to me geographically? Is there a car in the UK? I feel it would be prudent to examine one to understand the intricacies, especially if i end up buying a project and need to assess the quantity of work / parts needed.

Does anyone know a willing owner on the continent that perhaps would entertain such an exercise?
GKL 7
14 years ago
There is a car in the UK,in Manchester.
The owner does not keep it a secret,so will not mind me saying this.This is of course unless he has sold it since i spoke to him at H.O.
The car is however a MAJOR,MAJOR project.
He posts sometimes here as Graphite58 you may want to contact him via PM.
pbaptist
14 years ago
I was reffering to this car:

But I heart today the car is already sold earlier this month.
I good example that these cars are sold between people who know eachother and are not publicly offered for sale.

UserPostedImage

It is great to see another car getting its deserved restoration.

Regards
Patrick
RockStock
14 years ago

there is currently one available for sale, but in a very bad condition

pbaptist wrote:

That looks pristine compared to the other one I have seen!

UserPostedImage
StockRocks
pbaptist
14 years ago

there is currently one available for sale, but in a very bad condition

pbaptist wrote:

That looks pristine compared to the other one I have seen!

RockStock wrote:

Ok, my classification of very bad condition was not correct. I thought the car was a wrack, but after seeing the pictures it surely doesn't looked like it.

Patrick
Graphite58
14 years ago
Oh ye of little faith! Hooky to the rescue.:d :shock: Mr aluminium welder!!

https://www.tomholdermark.co.uk/KGOC/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27 

GKL 7
14 years ago

Oh ye of little faith! Hooky to the rescue.:d :shock: Mr aluminium welder!!

https://www.tomholdermark.co.uk/KGOC/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27 

Graphite58 wrote:

Hooky is the master,there's some clueless buggers on here Ian,don't listen.:roll:
Arminius
14 years ago
fantakid
14 years ago
Hi,
here are some pics of our new finished Beeskow
Christian
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
14 years ago

Hi,
here are some pics of our new finished Beeskow
Christian
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

fantakid wrote:

:shock: Holy smoke that looks good :shock:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
SplitPersonality
14 years ago
My goodness!!!!! What a car, what a job! Congratulations Christian (& Tomasz, Mathias, Traugott...)
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
That is just beautiful. Nicest looking Beeskow I ever saw.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
vintagebug
14 years ago

Now that is truly stunning.

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"