ferdykid
14 years ago
My 66 deluxe has it's original pigalle interior, and whilst it cleaned up very nicely indeed and looks great, 40 odd years of pipe smoke and damp garage means that it doesn't smell so great. Not in an offensive way, but you leave the car smelling the same way until your next wash!

I've tried using the usual vinyl cleaning products, but it just doesn't touch it - does anybody have any ideas? I had thought of removing the covers for a proper soak, but then presumably the seats pads will smell the same way too, and I don't want to do any damage.

I also have a couple of small blisters in the vinyl, any thoughts on how to stop any further damage?

Thanks
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
14 years ago
A friend of mine was told by an upolsterer to use Swarfega on vinyl.
Don't hold me to this i've never seen the results.
But you'll probably be swopping one funny smell for another.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
I've always used Jif/Cif on Vinyl. Brings seats up a treat. Don't strip the covers off unless you know what you're doing.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
harveypj
14 years ago
I've always had gtreat results with soda crystals, even used a solution on my 58's brushed cotton head liner.

Stock......the new custom
ferdykid
14 years ago
Thanks for the pointers! i'll let you know how I get on!
harveypj
14 years ago
If you do have a go with soda crystals, just make sure you rinse properly.

Good luck.
Stock......the new custom
beetleseb
14 years ago
Why not pay a good valeter?

I had one round to do a passat I bought the other day and he did an amazing job, I talked to him about doing the 56 van when I'm done and he seemed very knowledgable with old vinal etc etc.

And he was only £45 for 2 1/2 hours work! You could easily pay that in trying out different products

Seb