johnshenry
14 years ago
I have been chronicling the restoration of my '51 Std Sunroof in pics on PhotoBucket

https://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/johnshenry/1951%20VW%20Beetle%2011E/ 

There is also a thread in the split forum at thesamba with additional details. Just really getting going after having this car for 7 years, but I can say it is "torn down" just about as far as you can tear a split down....!

UserPostedImage

Its going to be a long road, but I'll get there......

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Standard split
14 years ago
Don't get me wrong – I LOVE your car 😎

But a Standard model (the cheap – at that time – and rock bottom base car) with a sunroof, is a bit like cod and chips with caviar on it. Why was this done?

Surely, anyone having the money to have the sunroof would have wanted the 'comforts' of the DeLuxe:? :?

Of course, we know what would be worth the most now :!: :wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
54 Gertie
14 years ago

But a Standard model (the cheap – at that time – and rock bottom base car) with a sunroof, is a bit like cod and chips with caviar on it. Why was this done?

Surely, anyone having the money to have the sunroof would have wanted the 'comforts' of the DeLuxe:? :?

Standard split wrote:

Someone who is happy double de-clutching but wants a bit of wind in hair action? :wink:

Im sure to many a ragtop was more desirable than some shiny(er) paint, a syncro box, hydraulic brakes and chrome trim.
William
Standard split
14 years ago

Someone who is happy double de-clutching but wants a bit of wind in hair action? :wink:

Im sure to many a ragtop was more desirable than some shiny(er) paint, a syncro box, hydraulic brakes and chrome trim.

54 Gertie wrote:

A semi-matt ragtop – yummy:!:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Looks like this one has a sunfloor as well as a sunroof. Ouch! Funny to see the towel rail bumpers fitted to it. Are those 16" Porsche wheels in that shed? Hope you bagged them too! Keep the updates coming.:beer:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
johnshenry
14 years ago

Standard split wrote:

I have a deluxe already, in fact just posted it for sale. Yes, a std sunroof is an odd bird... but that is why I like it.

Yes, those are 16" 356 rims. I pretty much bought everything in that old barn back in 2001 (except that 32 Franklin). Sold all the 356 stuff in about 2 months time.....
johnshenry
14 years ago

I have a deluxe already, in fact just posted it for sale. Yes, a std sunroof is an odd bird... but that is why I like it.

Yes, those are 16" 356 rims. I pretty much bought everything in that old barn back in 2001 (except that 32 Franklin). Sold all the 356 stuff in about 2 months time.....

johnshenry wrote:

Oh, I see your point, why would someone buying a new VW want a std sunroof. Yes, that is very puzzling. Wouldn't you have wanted hydraulic brakes first? (it has cable brakes). Very rare car, I know of only about 3-4 other "11E" splits in the world.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Oh, I see your point, why would someone buying a new VW want a std sunroof. Yes, that is very puzzling. Wouldn't you have wanted hydraulic brakes first? (it has cable brakes). Very rare car, I know of only about 3-4 other "11E" splits in the world.

johnshenry wrote:

At least somebody back then thought the same way as some of us - sunroof first - everything else second!
I suppose if money was tight and you could only afford either a Deluxe tin-top or a Standard sunroof? I wonder what the difference in cost was between the two?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
48REME
14 years ago

54 Gertie wrote:

The shiny paint finish was the same for a Deluxe as for a Standard. It's documented fact:wink:
johnshenry
14 years ago
I think I found some literature from the early 50s pricing the sunroof option at about $120. Seems cheap, but keep in mind the car was selling for about $1200, so that was 10% of the price of the car. That would be like dropping $2500 on an "option" on a new Honda Civic.

I think "juice" brakes were about half that.

I am finding it interesting on this chassis, all the missing details because it is a standard. No hole for the master cylinder pushrod in the lower front bulkhead, no hole for the brake line on the right rear pan outrigger (I had to weld up the one that was in the repro part), then there are brake cable tubes in the front that are not found on the deluxes.

I was all thrilled at Hessisch last year when I found a real nice steel brake fluid reservoir in the swaps for a pretty good deal and bought it thinking "Ooooh nice, I'll keep that for the '51". Wasn't until I was on the plane home, mulling over all my purchases I thought "Wait a minute..........."
harveypj
14 years ago

Standard, sunroof, deluxe shiny, matt.... whatever. Any 51 resto is a cool thing.
Stock......the new custom
pre67vw
14 years ago
Thread cleaned up, lets keep comments non-personal and on-topic try not to add nonsense to an otherwise great thread!

Now, tell us more about the 51 John! 😎
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
14 years ago
Hope you don't mind me pasting the pic – an extraordinary car:beer:

photo9.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.