monstermoo
13 years ago
While the 30hp motor is out (for a clutch change) I've decided I'd like to get the heaters working again.

The heat exchangers had fallen into a sorry state and the cables disconnected at some point before we bought the car.

It all looks salvageable, but I was just wondering about the heater flaps and their operation.

I'm sure in the Haynes manual it mentions a heater ring (correct term?) for early models, rather than a thermostat and that this makes adjustments to the flaps when cold/hot?

I can't find any trace of this 'ring' but admittedly don't really know what I am looking for - or have I got my wires crossed?

As far as I can see the only thing that adjusts the heater flaps is the rod connected to the heat exchangers, that is obiously controlled by the cables leading to the control in the cabin.

Can anyone help to explain what 'should' be present and how it works on a 30hp motor?
Or is there no hot and cold state of operation (apart from the manual choke) on the early engines?

Thanks
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
13 years ago
The heater 'ring' is in place of the flaps in the fanshroud of a post '65 engine. This sits behind the fan inlets and regulates the amount of cooling air entering. It uses to same thermostat.

Here is a little video of it opening and closing, albeit on an early 60s engine.

The exchangers are only controlled by you inside the car, either directing the heat into the heater boxes (exchangers) or out the back.

Some close-up shots. These may differ slightly to a 30 horse engine, but it is basically the same.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I new these photos would come in handy when doing my top end rebuild....8)
William
monstermoo
13 years ago
That's great! Thanks.

Our hasn't got that arrangement and as far as I can see there are no additional flaps etc. inside the fan housing either - just the ones that lead to the heat exchangers and I can't see any bellows type thermostat anywhere either?