queenslander
13 years ago
I live in Australia and need a horn rim and blinker switch with lever for my 196 0's v.w beetle. Need to find a good source of v.w authentic spare parts. Any help much appreciated.:lol:
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Welcome to the forum.

When was your car made? If it's a 1960 or 1961 model (Aug '59- Jul '61), the D-ring hornpush is unique for those two years. A '60 model Aussie bug will have a (strictly speaking) one-year-only cast 3-wire turn signal switch (although 1962-65 switches will work in it's place just fine). If it's a '61 model, you need the rare 6-wire turn signal switch which was only used for one year.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
queenslander
13 years ago
Many thanks to Rich Oakley for your reply, As far as I can make out the car is a 1960 model. Whats left of the blinker switch lever is solid plastic, whether there was wire in the lever or not i do not know. I do know the sort you mean. I am trying to trace the original owner for more info on the car.
Si Med
13 years ago

"Many thanks to Rich Oakley for your reply, As far as I can make out the car is a 1960 model. Whats left of the blinker switch lever is solid plastic, whether there was wire in the lever or not i do not know. I do know the sort you mean. I am trying to trace the original owner for more info on the car."

queenslander wrote:

54 UK rhd
queenslander
13 years ago
To: 56 uk oval.
What do you mean " a bit scabby "??:?
pre67vw
13 years ago

To: 56 uk oval.
What do you mean " a bit scabby "??:?

queenslander wrote:

:lol: Don't worry, thats his signature and it's a comment regarding the condition of his own car. You'd posted your reply as a new topic and Si Med was trying to do a good deed by adding it to the original thread. :beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
queenslander
13 years ago
This site is a bit baffling to try and surf around. Still trying to get my head around it and figure out how to use it. Who is Si Med ? Is si Med and uk 58 oval one and the same and why would he do what he did and what is a "thread"? Wish people would use normal language. Not everyone is up on computer language. Other than that what I have been able to find so far is interesting enough and hope I can find help for my car through your site regardless.
pre67vw
13 years ago

This site is a bit baffling to try and surf around. Still trying to get my head around it and figure out how to use it. Who is Si Med ? Is si Med and uk 58 oval one and the same and why would he do what he did and what is a "thread"? Wish people would use normal language. Not everyone is up on computer language. Other than that what I have been able to find so far is interesting enough and hope I can find help for my car through your site regardless.

queenslander wrote:

Have a read of this  :beer: Should get you up to speed fairly quickly.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
queenslander
13 years ago
Many thanks Admin, will read when it is daylight, nearly midnight here. thank you.
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
The easiest way to tell if its a '60 or a '61 model is whether it has semaphores or semaphore apertures in the B-pillars just rear of the doors.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mrsherbie
13 years ago
Hi, as Rich says ^ getting car's corrrect date will save you money buying wrong parts. Or if you can post a photo.

On the samba there is a guy called IN2VWS who is a great mind for Australian info, if you send him a message I am sure he will point you towards places to find parts in Australia.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=63225 

Or you could join the Sydney chat group to find parts & people near you?
https://www.clubvw.org.au/ 
(There must be a club or similar to this on the Queensland coast)

59-early 60's was the period when Australian cars were being both pressed and built heavily from local materials/parts so for this time many parts on oz cars can be a bit different(have the twin kangaroo stamps) from German ones, and though parts will fit/interchange no problem, it is easier and better to refit oz parts to oz cars I think if you can source them? 😎 ( I hope this makes sense :?: other than to me! :lol: )
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
queenslander
13 years ago
Many thanks for those replying to my queries. Much appreciated.
queenslander
13 years ago
cant find in which forum topic it was but someone asked me to post a photo of my car. Tried to do it but this site will not let me do it as the photo is too big they say. It is on Facebook in the pre67 v.w. site anyway if anyone really wants to see it. Do not know how to resize photos to get it on here.
lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago

... ( I hope this makes sense :?: other than to me! :lol: )

mrsherbie wrote:

Not a bloody word as usual...who are you Mr Sherbie...do I know you?:d
John.