crazydaze
13 years ago
Spotted this today, looks like a barn find OG paint, UK plates, ancient Sealink GB badge on decklid, outside a car 'restorers' in Surrey

UserPostedImage

Thought it may be of interest in here?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
69project
13 years ago
wish it was mine....
Car less.....
Ovaltine
13 years ago

Spotted this today, looks like a barn find OG paint, UK plates, ancient Sealink GB badge on decklid, outside a car 'restorers' in Surrey
Thought it may be of interest in here?

crazydaze wrote:

Well, fancy that this has resurfaced:shock:

OG paint, I doubt that though - its a restoration car I'd think. Why did you put restorers in quotes, is it parked at some sort of a repair centre:?

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Dubster
13 years ago
It must be a while since it's been on the road, the registration isn't recognised by the DVLA website.
December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
Ovaltine
13 years ago

wish it was mine....

69project wrote:

Yes, but youd lower it, but better than cut-up certainly:wink:

It must be a while since it's been on the road, the registration isn't recognised by the DVLA website.

Dubster wrote:

Remember this car waaaaaay back - amazed its around, but pleased:beer:
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
crazydaze
13 years ago

Why did you put restorers in quotes, is it parked at some sort of a repair centre:?

Ovaltine wrote:

Yes.
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
I've known about this UK Split (surprise surprise) for many years. It was owned by the same guy in Sussex for a very long period. He had always intended to restore the car 'one day' from what I remember and from what I recall, it was in quite a poor condition. I think I have a picture of it taken in the 1970s, will try to dig it out.
Thanks for spotting it Alex.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
55Kab
13 years ago
Indeed, well spotted Alex.

Now, go buy it Rich...about time you took on a full resto... :wink:

GKL 7
13 years ago

I've known about this UK Split (surprise surprise) for many years.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Hey Rich
Does the Prof have any information on this car,'48 i believe,it may not still be on these shores.I have no info myself,had the pic for a while and wondered what had happened to the car.
 649.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Hey Rich
Does the Prof have any information on this car,'48 i believe,it may not still be on these shores.I have no info myself,had the pic for a while and wondered what had happened to the car.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Hi George,

Yes, I know the car well. It's now in California and is a '48 model. It was imported into the UK from Germany in the late 40s I seem to recall. In the 1970s, Bearded Barry Hazelock got his hands on it. Can't remember if it was Barry who stripped it down, but it was in pieces during the 1970s. He kept it until 1980-ish when he sold it to Nigel Fovargue in Northamptonshire. Nigel re-assembled the car and emigrated to the US in 1981 taking the car with him. I think he sold it recently after that. It re-surfaced a few years ago in California and was sold on to a new owner.

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
13 years ago

Hi George,

Yes, I know the car well. It's now in California and is a '48 model. It was imported into the UK from Germany in the late 40s I seem to recall. In the 1970s, Bearded Barry Hazelock got his hands on it. Can't remember if it was Barry who stripped it down, but it was in pieces during the 1970s. He kept it until 1980-ish when he sold it to Nigel Fovargue in Northamptonshire. Nigel re-assembled the car and emigrated to the US in 1981 taking the car with him. I think he sold it recently after that. It re-surfaced a few years ago in California and was sold on to a new owner.

Rich.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Cheers Rich
Seems a lot of the "British" forties cars went Stateside:(
crazydaze
12 years ago
There's a chance this car may now have been 'ratted & slammed' It's buried behind a ton of project cars at the same place with a much much lower roofline 😞

Could'nt get a decent view to confirm it today.