64rotbox
13 years ago

i wouldnt stress,for most of the restos ive read abt from the late 80s filler was everybodys friend.

69project wrote:

It still is today, unfortunately. The excellent restorations we sometimes see carried out are still the exception, most of the "restos" documented on various VW forums are just as bad as what went on 20 years ago. It's just that people are too scared to say so, for fear of getting jumped on by the "grate job m8!!!!" know-nowts.

Anyway, enough negative rambling - bring on the good stuff.
You can call me Al.
Kids taxi
13 years ago

It still is today, unfortunately. The excellent restorations we sometimes see carried out are still the exception, most of the "restos" documented on various VW forums are just as bad as what went on 20 years ago. It's just that people are too scared to say so, for fear of getting jumped on by the "grate job m8!!!!" know-nowts.

Anyway, enough negative rambling - bring on the good stuff.

64rotbox wrote:

Yes i concur, now Im a home restorer who positively hates filler work, But I have a trusted old boy and he knows that I detest the stuff especially in my own cars. It is a fact of life today but everyone can strive and push themselves harder to achieve better quality panels and fitting of them too compared to the awful 80s....

Please keep us updated Mike

KT
Im too Old for This
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Some small updates but no repair work yet .I am still sorting out my garage as i have not restored a car since moving over 10 years ago .Having been used to a double garage,
going to a single means extra work trying to find space to put stuff as i take it off.
I have had to be i little inventive and construct a frame to lift the body .Well actually its some shelving i got from work as it was damaged .

Body will be coming on and off the pan a few times so i did a trial lift today .Also made removing the engine a doddle.

Winding back the clock a few weeks here are more panels uncovered with more surprises underneath.

UserPostedImage

Bondo beach :mellow:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Door pillar looking quite solid and original ,as is most of the heater channel for the left side.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Right of the car is typically worse for a right handed car and although the door pillar is original the channel has had a cover panel fitted to the section between the posts.I have yet to uncover this bit as i want to brace the car first.

UserPostedImage

Sunroof53
13 years ago
Some more pictures of the Disassembly .

The thing i love about this car ,the sunroof ,Now coming off .I have never removed one before but it was'nt too tricky to work out .It still has the leather slider pieces intact but there are some repairs needed to replace some captive nuts underneath.

UserPostedImage

Its amazing just how big that hole is on a 3 fold once you get the roof out.

UserPostedImage

This hole in the roof liner is where the car had some lodgers over a winter lay up.

UserPostedImage

Several moustraps removed them but the damage was done ,and the roof liner had to be removed .Here is the nest complete with mouse near the rear window.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Some parts packed way .I have kept a book of where everthing is as i know i will forget when it comes to put things back.

UserPostedImage

Tar board removed and all is well .

UserPostedImage

Sound pillows are intact but i need to remove them to inspect as i can see brown staining .

UserPostedImage

Only just noticed that the left side has had a small bump in the past .Picture doest show up to well but there is a small crease here.

UserPostedImage

Battery drill makes easy work of removing the bolts to remove the body.

UserPostedImage

Here is the frame i am using to lift the body as my rackety old shed is not up to hanging anything from.

UserPostedImage

As the 1938 beetle was recently married to its floor, mine is getting a divorce.Certainly makes it easier to remove the engine.I then spent a few hours hiding it in another shed.I will put the body back on after i have made something up to sit the body and floor at a good work height .This should be easier on my knees and I have some extraction to rig up as well as it can get quite dusty in there .

UserPostedImage

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Were tin snips hard to come by in the 80ies? Because it seems like nobody ever bothered to trim these hugely oversize repair panels down before fitting them. Now you have giant long lines of weld across the middle of your panels to contend with, when a 3" strip at the bottom would have done the job.:cry:
Still, the car has survived to fight another day, so I suppose its not all bad.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Were tin snips hard to come by in the 80ies? Because it seems like nobody ever bothered to trim these hugely oversize repair panels down before fitting them. Now you have giant long lines of weld across the middle of your panels to contend with, when a 3" strip at the bottom would have done the job.:cry:
Still, the car has survived to fight another day, so I suppose its not all bad.

JD wrote:

At least they left the original panel in place - it would have been worse if they'd cut it away to match the repair panel size - there is now the opportunity to make the repair the size it should have been originally.

Nice work. :thumbup:
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

At least they left the original panel in place - it would have been worse if they'd cut it away to match the repair panel size - there is now the opportunity to make the repair the size it should have been originally.

Nice work. :thumbup:

Last Triumph wrote:

True enough. Imagine having the giant repair panel and then having to make a strip to reach the original metal as well.:omg:

And yes, definitely good work.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Not much done in the way of repairs yet but i have uncoverd the rh rear quarter repair

Much the same as the left really.
UserPostedImage

The rear bumper bracket stripped of filler .This has also uncovered what looks like a minor bump to the rear as there is a crease just above it.
UserPostedImage

I had thought that the rear valence was replaced with the rest of the work done in the 80s ,but based on the next photo i dont think it was .The valence is a 60s item which believe to be a genuine panel.
It was attached by some very good brazing and lead loaded to smooth off the join.I am guessing that the valence was replaced after the bump and a long time before it was reworked in the 80s.
UserPostedImage

I went to bugfreeze on a panel hunt mission but came back with nothing but a NOS bonnet badge .I was slightly dissapointed as i saw a front inner wing which i could have used to repair mine .Just as i started looking at it i was informed it was sold :cry: .Its looking like i will be making most of the part panels.
Did anyone else go ?i thought it was pretty poor for the restorer.In fact they should rename it Busfreeze as there seemed little in the way of Beetle spares .

Tomorrow i shall finish off removing the rear valence as i think its good enough to sell on.I have bought the super nice and perfectly accurate Wolf item .Only downside was i had to purchase a rough genuine panel for the inner part as they dont come with it.

Mike

55Kab
13 years ago
You can't go far wrong with a Wolf rear valance Mike. Same goes for front valance and spare wheel well if you need them.

If you need rear bumper mounts then I recommend Hooky's.

Post up a list of what you need so we can see where you need help. :smile:

vintagebug
13 years ago

You can't go far wrong with a Wolf rear valance Mike.

55Kab wrote:

x2!! :smile:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Sunroof53
13 years ago

You can't go far wrong with a Wolf rear valance Mike. Same goes for front valance and spare wheel well if you need them.

If you need rear bumper mounts then I recommend Hooky's.

Post up a list of what you need so we can see where you need help. :smile:

55Kab wrote:

Thanks i did look at the hooky bumper mount at bugfreeze but its for a later car .I have got the wolf front valence as well but no spare wheel well yet.I was going to modify a later panel because apart from the hump in the middle its much the same .
A right hand front quarter would be nice even if its a 60s one as i could use it to repair mine.
Has anyone used the large rear quarter from heritage ?Its for an early car but i havnt seen one to measure .

https://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_shop.product_pID_116053_lang_EN_country_GB.htm 

Mike

55Kab
13 years ago
Hooky makes early bumper mounts Mike (well correct for 55) as Ben used them on mine.

I thought the spare wheel well was quite different in shape. For example you've got all those wiring tabs so I reckon in the long run it will cause you less hassle to go with a Wolf item.

Give Alex a call at Defcom3 as he did have an early 60's car he was cutting up as he needed metal so may have exactly what you want.

54 Gertie
13 years ago
I dont think Mr Hook does make -'60 bumper mounts, but I may be wrong. He makes the early-mid 60's style.

I guess the metal behind is the same as 'oval' era, but the mount of definitely not.

William
Last Triumph
13 years ago

I dont think Mr Hook does make -'60 bumper mounts, but I may be wrong. He makes the early-mid 60's style.

I guess the metal behind is the same as 'oval' era, but the mount of definitely not.

54 Gertie wrote:

Yes, he does.

:thumbup:
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
GKL 7
13 years ago
Hooky's early bumper mounts going into my old '50 Vert.  416-pictures-032_jpg.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
55Kab
13 years ago

I dont think Mr Hook does make -'60 bumper mounts

54 Gertie wrote:

You didn't really think Evil Ben would have fitted the wrong style mounts to my car did you :?: :smile:

Sunroof53
13 years ago

You didn't really think Evil Ben would have fitted the wrong style mounts to my car did you :?: :smile:

55Kab wrote:

I spoke to someone on the hooky stall at bugfreeze and he said they did'nt do them.He said he had modified the later mount to match by cutting it down and flattening two
features of the late panel .He does the pre 53 one which George showed in his picture but that is much smaller than mine .The 53-60 mount is like the one on Wolfs site.

https://www.wolfparts.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=lset1t6bdvsgaa6repnei4ad52 

Maybe Hookys did make them at the time of your restoration?

Thanks Martin for the Defcom tip i will drop them a line.Has your build thread gone from restowagon as i cant seem to find it?

Mike
55Kab
13 years ago

I spoke to someone on the hooky stall at bugfreeze and he said they did'nt do them.

Thanks Martin for the Defcom tip i will drop them a line.Has your build thread gone from restowagon as i cant seem to find it?

Sunroof53 wrote:

Give Steve himself a call:

https://www.hookyspanelshop.com/ 

First pic is how mine came but Ben wasn't happy with them as he said the end wasn't quite right and the bottom of the hanger needed to be in line with the bottom of the inner wing. Second pic shows them relocated and after paint. :wink:

Re Defcom. Best calling, Alex doesn't "do" email that often

Re Restowagen - long gone, I asked for it to be pulled
 p89.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  bumper hangar.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Exellent Martin :thumbup: .I will contact them tomorrow and hope they still produce that panel. It will certainly be a big saving on the wolf one.