Last Triumph
13 years ago
I have located a quantity of obsolete early steering box seals and whilst I have what all the parts books and parts manuals are saying is correct, there is a little ambiguity regarding cross over dates and sizes that I'd just like to confirm.

Does anyone have a '53 - '56 Steering box either on the bench, in a box, in the bin, on a shelf, on a chassis without a body, in a car without a fuel tank in place etcm etc... you get the picture - access to an early steering box that they could take a measurement for me?

I need to confirm the internal and external diameters of the lower seal that sits in the bottom of the steering box, just above where the pitman arm mounts on the splined sector shaft.

My info tells me that the diameter of the sector shaft that sticks out the bottom of the box and enters the pitman arm should be 22mm (28mm after Dec' 56) hence the internal diameter of the seal should be 22mm. The outside diameter of the seal, i.e. the size of the machined hole in the bottom of the box should be 40mm.

The info for the '57 - '60 ones are accurate, but I always feel happier when someone has actuially measured a real life item.

Pleas please, please could someone with a pre 56 steering box have a quick measure for me?

Many thanks.
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Sunroof53
13 years ago
I just took a look at mine and the shaft that connects to the pitman arm is 28mm ,so i either have a later box or you have been given some duff information .Where did you get the 22mm dimension from?
22mm seems very small for that arm.

Mike
RoRoVw
13 years ago
The diameter of the shaft on the box that I gave you the part number from this morning is 28mm, if that's of any help!
Cheers
Rob.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

The diameter of the shaft on the box that I gave you the part number from this morning is 28mm, if that's of any help!
Cheers
Rob.

RoRoVw wrote:

Thanks guys - the Bentley manual is wrong - I've had 6 different '53 - '56 boxes measured now and they are all 28mm which is great becuase I can now officially supply you all with perfect replacement seals for '53 - '60 steerign boxes, including zwitters :thumbup:

The 22mm shaft is on splits.

Just need someone with a split box to measure one up and I'll bend over backwards to get you all some of them too!

:drool:
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...