monstermoo
12 years ago
After what seems like an age, we have finally managed to find the time to begin putting our '59/60 back to how it should be (with the exception of CB dropped spindles).

Here's some shots to show before and after.

When we bought it, it was sporting a beam that had been narrowed by 6" and with lowering adjusters welded in.

The beam had had the shock mounts removed so they wouldn't contact the inner arches (read no shocks at all) and a certain amount of bodgery had been carried out with the track rod ends.

Now it has a standard full width beam upfront with standard shocks, leaves and track rods.

This still leaves the back end to sort out, but it's a start.

Needless to say, the car feels completely different and so nice to drive. It doesn't bump, thump and clank every time we drive over a cats eye! And the tramlining is gone too :thumbup:

How it was....

UserPostedImage

How it sits now...

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
monstermoo
12 years ago
Pics now working :d
pre67vw
12 years ago
Looking good! Back should be easy compared to what you've done on the front!

:thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
12 years ago
There's certainly more and more cars being put back to stock,good sign.
Robb
12 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

yer i noticed that!

what tyres are you going to run?:thumbup:
monstermoo
12 years ago

yer i noticed that!

what tyres are you going to run?:thumbup:

Robb wrote:

Not sure at the mo Robb, it's got smart car tyres on there at the moment - fitted to allow clearance no doubt.

They are Firestone's front and back and I would be looking to match the front to the rear I guess?

Any recommendations on what size to fit?
Robb
12 years ago
firestone dont make smart car tyres :wink:

you will prob have either 125 or 135 firestones on the front at the mo.

I went for 165 firestones on my 67 as they match the correct stock tyre height, although im looking at selling them to fit some crossplys.
obi-nu
12 years ago
Nice car.. looking much better stock than with a narrowed beam!:smile:
63 Ragtop...
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

I agree with the above Fads come and go :d Andy W
59 Ragtop
12 years ago
Looking good. Going through the process of returning my 59 back to stock ride height. Will try to post pics when its done!
monstermoo
12 years ago

firestone dont make smart car tyres :wink:

you will prob have either 125 or 135 firestones on the front at the mo.

I went for 165 firestones on my 67 as they match the correct stock tyre height, although im looking at selling them to fit some crossplys.

Robb wrote:

Now checked, and can confirm that the tyres are Firestone F-560 - 165 on the rear and 135 on the front. Spare is 155 :? I asume that 155 should be the size used on the front?
James I
12 years ago
:roll:
64rotbox
12 years ago

Now checked, and can confirm that the tyres are Firestone F-560 - 165 on the rear and 135 on the front. Spare is 155 :? I asume that 155 should be the size used on the front?

monstermoo wrote:

165s are closer to the original height of crossplies, but they're a bit fatter. 155s look a bit better width wise, and they're not so much of a squish in the spare wheel well, either. Up to you, really.

:roll:

James I wrote:

Mmm. Are you going to try typing some words in your second posting...?
You can call me Al.
James I
12 years ago

Mmm. Are you going to try typing some words in your second posting...?

That car had a lot of time, money and NOS parts put into it, a lot was 'put right' before steve owned it.

Im not trying to stir, Im just slightly irritated by the thread title and the general tone of the thread.

The idea of a shockless beam was so there would be no body mods to the car, I am aware how rare and special this car is hence I provided the original beam with the car so it could be put back to stock if need be.

James

AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago

The idea of a shockless beam was so there would be no body mods to the car, I am aware how rare and special this car is hence I provided the original beam with the car so it could be put back to stock if need be.

James

Who tested the car with no front dampers fitted ?????????? 😳 Andy W
54 Gertie
12 years ago
James, you are surprised that people on a forum whose logo has the word 'stock' in it prefer stock cars? Surely it's just their opinion, much like you clearly like modified cars?

I dont get what you mean by the 'tone', knowone has said 'what stupid bastard lowered it in the first place'.
William
54 Gertie
12 years ago
James, I've just realised that we met at Plymouth when you took the bug, you were with the Dubmonkies lot I think.

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll like it if you stick about, but I cant see a reason to get irritated at this thread or it's title, from my point of view is has been (almost) 'put right'.
William
64rotbox
12 years ago
As it is, posting cryptic icons,complaining about 'tone' and demanding that people remove photos because they were taken when you owned it is just going to rub everyone up the wrong way...
You can call me Al.
pre67vw
12 years ago
I find it kind of ironic really, when a nice original rare/stock car gets lowered and stock fans complain - it's all 'it's his car, he can do what he wants to it...' etc. Now when a lowered car is getting put back the shoe is on the other foot so to speak.

There is definitely a trend towards going back to stock, could be because stock is more valuable to collectors? Or maybe it's just because they drive better?

But to be honest, I think it's great that the guy who lowered it had enough sense to know not to alter the inner wings in the process. And if he has already corrected a bunch of things using NOS parts as well then even better! Sounds like this will be a great car!!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
James I
12 years ago
Ive never registered on this forum but have been browsing it for years. I like stockers/ cal lookers and resto cal volkswagens.

I understand this is predominently a stock volkswagen site, wasn't here to challenge that , why would I ?

I was irritaed by the picture posted on the previous thread about the car being 'corrected'. I did'nt really think it was on considering it was my photo that had been used to make fun of the fact it had been lowered.

Anyway I actually don't want to upset steve because he seems like a nice guy, so apologies Steve If I have.