Piet
  • Piet
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
12 years ago
A couple of years ago I treated the fuel tank of my oval with this 2k sealer.
Forgot the brand though. Recently I filled it up with gas and now I noticed this product is turning into a soft jelly that I can scrape off with my fingers.
It's a real mess. Probably it has dissolved with modern added ethanol gas.:evil:
For the chemists here : How can I get rid of this blubber?
Thanks!
Proost! Peter.
1954 Oval L275 (in progressive refinement)
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
zelensis61
12 years ago
:?: unbolt it from the oval, empty the gas, fill it with grind or pieces of stone, tie it onto a concrete mixer and let it turn for a day with different angles, and rince it a few times while cleaning the debris. Repaet this so you get a clean inside like new.
just my idea.
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
Piet
  • Piet
12 years ago
Thanks peter, but this stuff is really sticky. I kind of doubt it removes the goo that way. I was thinking of some dissolving product first, like a thinner/aceton maybe.:omg: (Dangerous) Can anybody confirm this?
If that doesn't help I guess I can always redo it with another "modern" sealer.
Thanks anyway!
Proost! Peter.
pre67vw
12 years ago

Thanks peter, but this stuff is really sticky. I kind of doubt it removes the goo that way. I was thinking of some dissolving product first, like a thinner/aceton maybe.:omg: (Dangerous) Can anybody confirm this?
If that doesn't help I guess I can always redo it with another "modern" sealer.
Thanks anyway!

Piet wrote:

if it's a 2k sealer then I doubt thinner/acetone will disolve any more than the petrol already has. You might be able to put something flexible into a drill and scrape it off, but it's going to be tricky to know that you've removed all of it.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Piet
  • Piet
12 years ago
I googled a bit and there are actually some epoxy removers on the market.:!:
Gonna fetch some of that stuff and I let you know by then. Might take a while though.
Proost! Peter.