rudolf hucker
12 years ago
What are your views on the term DUB when refering to Volkswagens?

We have Dub fests, Dub clubs, Dub Freeze...........yuk.

I think that it's use is limited to the UK (hopefully) and comes from the term... Vee Dub.

I don't think I like it very much....................but I am old, don't like change and I am a rude ... ......!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
I think its just lazynes and like you say a short version of Vee-Dub the young owners use it alot but it has been around for over 30 years that i know of. It also happend to the Volkswagen Porsche 914 that got the name Vo-Po for slang as was some type of east German border guard i think. I dont mind ether way.:wink:

Andy w
pre67vw
12 years ago
I don't like it either, to me it goes hand in hand with pissed people and rave music.

Unfortunately though, with VW being so heavy handed with protecting it's brand names, I think a lot of shows use 'Dubs' to stay out of trouble. I seem to remember VW Action received a solicitors letter a few years ago telling them to drop the 'VW' until the owner of the name proved that it had in fact been around in England longer than VW UK.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Yes i know what you mean about the pissed people and the rave music its some of the reasons i turnd my back on the VW sceen and went and did other things for a long time.
But if it was not for the young blood that has come in to the VW way of motoring it may have found its self like a lot of other clasic car movements and find them selfs strugeling to keep going. I went to a other types meeting near to me the other night and what a set of stuck in there ways un helpful Dear i say ignorant people sat there at a club meeting (and thay wonder why thay carnt get any new members) There are loads of VW shows all over the place but if you want to see other types you have to go to a Clasic car show. Sorry to digress from the main thread but the VW sceen it has to move with the times and it dose not always for the better but at least it is not stagnent :d

Andy w
GKL 7
12 years ago
Must say i don't care for the name either.

Americans, causing our youth to bastardise the English language.

:rofl: :rofl: :wink: :rofl: :rofl:
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
Is it a case of DUmBing down?
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Is it a case of DUmBing down?

rudolf hucker wrote:

Whenever I hear it I imagine it being said by a lumbering Ox with half a brain, a flabby lower lip and a heavy cold. D..U..B

John.
six-o-one
12 years ago
GKL 7
12 years ago

So is Dubstep something to do with Volkswagens?

:wink: :rofl:

six-o-one wrote:

I'm getting well old...I had to google that:oops:
heb623
12 years ago
:twisted: Vopo, Doka, Vdub, who gives a fu..!:omg: I don't!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:twisted: ET

cleese460_1722116a.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
Rattletrap
12 years ago
Why even consider this nonsense. Its just slang used by many, but not all, younger VW enthusiasts. Just go to VZone to realise the different attitude to the hobby than that of most users here. If you still find it hard to understand their thinking and approach to Volkswagens, then go along to a VW Type II display and note that 75% of the vehicles are rust-buckets dragging their ars*s along the ground.

More of interest to me is why Volkswagen Type IIs, vehicles that are clearly not buses; ie, pick-ups, campers vans and most else called buses?:?

A bus to me is a large public service passenger carrying vehicle, that is most often red, runs to a fixed route, stopping at set points known as bus stops, and very often with seats upstairs too. A well-known version here in London of which we are very proud, is called a Routemaster.:beer:

The Beetle on the other hand is known as a 'car', which is exactly what it is.:wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
rudolf hucker
12 years ago

Why even consider this nonsense. Its just slang used by many, but not all, younger VW enthusiasts. Just go to VZone to realise the different attitude to the hobby than that of most users here. If you still find it hard to understand their thinking and approach to Volkswagens, then go along to a VW Type II display and note that 75% of the vehicles are rust-buckets dragging their ars*s along the ground.

Rattletrap wrote:

Oooh er!! We seem to have hit a nerve here.
merchantrader
12 years ago
I have always taken "bus" to be an affectionate term for the vehicles; in the same way as many 4x4 owners, of all generations and of both pickups and suvs, refer to their vehicles as a "truck".
pre67vw
12 years ago

Oooh er!! We seem to have hit a nerve here.

rudolf hucker wrote:

makes a change :roll:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
harveypj
12 years ago
At work They call my Beetle a "Lawnmower" :lol:

I guess 'Buses' comes from the type 2 in microbus form.
We call them buses, the general public tend to call any type 2 a ' VW camper van' what ever its form.

Stock......the new custom
WayneMcCarthy
12 years ago
Don't Have Problem With Either Term , It Doesn't Bother Me !
"Mr Stock"
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Can´t stand to hear "vert". Mainly because I always mis-read it as "verre", and then think - uh?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Can´t stand to hear "vert". Mainly because I always mis-read it as "verre", and then think - uh?

JD wrote:

I think most of the abbreviations are used because a lot of people can't spell Volkswegan, convertable, mikrobus or Bettle...thickos.:roll:

John.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
"Nice rims dude!"

"Yeah thanks, they came free with the wheels..." :roll:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

"Nice rims dude!"