pipvan
  • pipvan
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
hi all anyone used the atlas whitewall inserts before, as i fitted a set with 4 brand new tyres and they have eaten in to the tyre wall am gutted as i think thats 300 quids worth of tyres down the pan.

P1030242.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
11 years ago
I've heard of this happening before,as the insert rotates on the rim it wears the walls of the tyre.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
I ran some on a Plymouth i once owned and it cut the tyres to the cords I was told to superglue them on or to use the glue thay stick patches to tubes with. Take them off an put in the bin is my advice. If you want white walls i have been looking at the Mr Whitewalls site and it looks interesting. Anyone had any work done by them ???????????

Andy W
pipvan
  • pipvan
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Thanks Guys, if i take them off i will have horrible looking lines round my standard tyres and im not sure the tyres are still safe to use (im no expert in rubber)so not sure what to do i might try the glue technique, wish they would either put a warning about this on the sale of the item or reccomend using an adhesive, then people would know and maybe decide against them, as its really annoying.
I have heard of someone getting mr whitewall to stain the tyres and they said it was fine, im just not sure how they keep it neat, think eventually if i want the whitewall look i will have to bite the bullet and shell out for some proper jobs.
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Hi pipvan looking at the photo your tyres look like thay could be ok. The prosess mr white wall uses is that thay use a tool to take themould and letter marks off the side wall to give a flat surface then a special whie (or red) paint is supplied to the tyre. If you go on to the Volkszone site clik on the fotums button and scroll down the page to VZI Yellow pages clik on that and you will find a mr White walls thread. good look and hope it all works out for you :thumbup:

Andy W
pre67vw
11 years ago
I've heard of this happening before, I think you're supposed to use a rubber grease behind them to stop it from cutting into the tyre. Also, it depends on the thickness of the whitewall, the 3" flaps are not supposed to be used on radial tyres.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pipvan
  • pipvan
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Thanks Again guys i will look into mr white wall and i did use grease on the tyres when the inserts were fitted and its still happened, again whoever is selling the product surely they should declare what particular tyre they are suited for and any reccomendations when fitting
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago

I've heard of this happening before, I think you're supposed to use a rubber grease behind them to stop it from cutting into the tyre. Also, it depends on the thickness of the whitewall, the 3" flaps are not supposed to be used on radial tyres.

pre67vw wrote:

Yes people do use greese but the problem is it hold the dust and grit and turns it in to an abrasive that accelerates the side wall damage 😮

Andy W
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
I would bin them and send them an invoice for new tyres !

I had those wide flaps on my old samba, that was on cross plys. I took them off because I can't stand white walls. They hadn't damaged the tyres though and they weren't stuck on or greased as far as I can remember. Maybe Rob is right and they are not designed for radials ? worth checking with the manufacturers.

I just replaced a set of thin whitewalls on my bus with some nice cross plys ...

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Much better !:thumbup:
64rotbox
11 years ago
Yes, you're supposed to grease them (and clean/regrease them often). I wouldn't use them on any car that does any significant mileage... in fact I probably wouldn't use them again at all, despite having an unused set of the damn things here.
You can call me Al.
pipvan
  • pipvan
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Ok thanks again, i really like the look of the whitewalls so i think i will have to bite the bullet and get some proper jobs, the inserts are removed now, i drive the car everyday so they were probably not a great idea, had an mot tester check the tyres out and he said they are still safe and fit for purpose which will do for now.

57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
beefykeefy
11 years ago

Think you're advised to apply 'red rubber grease' behind them and check them regularly for sign of wear.
Lost64
11 years ago
Hi Pipvan,

I had this happen to me as well, and it was on a set of radial tyres. I replaced the tyres with 'proper' whitewalls. However please beware of what type and where they originate from if you go down this route. My first set of actual whitewalls were manufactured in South America, and after a few years the white part was covered in little splits, similar to what you see on an older, perished tyre.
Happily the tyre wasn't compromised as the white part was vulcanised onto the actual sidewall of the tyre. When I opened the splits up, the sidewall of the tyre was fine, although it really spoiled the look.
In the end, I bit the bullet and bought Firestone 'Wide Whites', very expensive, but excellent quality, and totally trouble free.
(To keep them clean, I used a liquid called 'Blech-White', brilliant, although there will be other products available.)

Good Luck!

Gavin Doole.
pipvan
  • pipvan
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Thanks Gavin good advice, i have been in contact with mr whitewall aswell and he cant touch my tyres until i have reached 3000 miles on them so i have a while to wait for that.
Phill
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
pipvan
  • pipvan
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Gavin what size tyre did you go for and what size whitewall as there are alot fo options

57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
Lost64
11 years ago
Hi Phil,

To be honest I can't remember any of the sizes, sorry!

On the South American manufactured tyres, the whitewalls didn't quite reach the wheel rim, which left a thin ring of the black part of the tyre visible. The wheels on the 1964 Beetle these tyres were fitted to, were painted pearl white, and I thought it looked nicer than the white band touching the rim. However on the Firestones, the white part came right against the wheel rim.

You pays yer money!!

Let us know how you get on.

Gavin.

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
There are German ones that clip on with chrome beauty rings. TÜV approved and don´t actually touch the side walls. I´ll dig around for the addy later if you want.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Fernando Pal
11 years ago
It´s a big problem, but exist an product for the this, in Portugal exist a gum, i will go to know the name, waiting.
FP
11 sedan de luxe oval
6/1955
early bay camper 4/1971
Fernando Pal
11 years ago
This car is of the my friend i will go to speak with him about the gum.  Carocha TONI.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Carocha TONI.jpg 1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Carocha TONI.jpg 2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
FP
11 sedan de luxe oval
6/1955
early bay camper 4/1971
Kjell Roar
11 years ago
Try dry teflon between the white wall and the tire, where then marks are.
August 55 T1- one of the first 56' (# 30).