Rod_vw
  • Rod_vw
  • Regular Topic Starter
10 years ago
I saw and photographed a pair of early heater boxes at the Sweetcorn meeting last summer. Now having dismantled my own early engine to get the tinware refurbished I would like to compare a few details.

Does anyone on the forum have these items please? If so would you be kind enough to take some photos for me?

Cheers,

Rod
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rhd57
10 years ago
How early Rod, I have some early ones that I've just taken off a 51 motor, that I can photograph. (Could do with clarification that they are correct before having the pipe work replaced/ repaired).
Rod_vw
  • Rod_vw
  • Regular Topic Starter
10 years ago
Thanks for your interest and offer of help. The ones that I am interested in are the early type with only one control cable and a link rod at the back to work the flaps in the left box.

Here is a diagram for info...

UserPostedImage

Rod
Rich Oakley
10 years ago
Hi Rod,

I have the correct ones on my 47 (pre-51 heater boxes and the 46-49 piano hinge tinware). Don't have my car here at the moment though. Which details do you need to know?

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
10 years ago
PS: I did have a spare set of that tinware that I sold last year. I will check to see if I still have the photos.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rod_vw
  • Rod_vw
  • Regular Topic Starter
10 years ago
Thanks Rich, got the pictures direct and have replied to you.

For the benefit of others, I am looking for detail of the hole in the side of the box where the connecting bar passes out and across the rear of the engine. Mine look as if they have been altered to strengthen the hole at some time in the past.

Rod
What-a-Mess
10 years ago
Rod,

I think I may have the heater boxes you saw, but they are later than the type with the linking rod between the two sides. BUT they may help with your query, the right side box does have the hole for the rod.

It's a little difficult to see in the attached photo, but as the hole is punched through from the outside it forms a flange of about 1 to 2mm depth on the inside reinforcing the hole.

UserPostedImage

Hope that helps.

Jon
51 Ragtop.
58 Lowlight Vert.
Rod_vw
  • Rod_vw
  • Regular Topic Starter
10 years ago
Thanks Jon, that looks very like the ones that I saw at Sweetcorn.

Thanks also for the description of the forming of the hole for the connecting rod. Mine have been modified to reinforce the hole by welding bored our nuts onto the surface. I guess they will stay as they are, doing an adequate job even if not strictly original.

Cheers,

Rod