Winding Man
18 years ago
But not consistently so.

This is a recon 1600 engine from Remtec.
It has 600 miles on it - treated gently for running in.
The car parks on the level

Sometimes on startup there is a lot more than just a puff of oily smoke - there is actually a considerable amount of blue smoke that forms a cloud behind the engine....other times none at all!

When warm/hot there is NO SMOKE.

When cold there is more often SMOKE than not.

When stood for a long time (days) there is more often than not NO SMOKE!?

Runs well and following the car on the road I see no puff of smoke other than the start up!

Thoughts?

Ta

WM

OBD Engineering
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Winding Man
18 years ago
Isn't the internet a wonderful thing.

I found a chap that experienced exactly the same thing - this together with my wife's comment that the more she cranks the more smoke there is.....(no lewd comments please lol)

Ken's Buggy Barn

https://www.w-p-c.com/buggy5c.htm 

I quote from Ken's site:

I had found that the engine only smoked on cranking when it did not start "with a touch of the key". If it turned over several times then it would smoke. The more it turned, the more it smoked. I had initially thought that the engine was getting too much fuel on cranking and this fuel was washing the cylinders and causing the smoke. (The smoke was blue-white indicating oil smoke, but it did have a gasoline smell). I went back to looking at this for the cause. With a little experimentation I found that if I did not pump the gas when it turned over it would not smoke. I tried out of gear, clutch not engaged, one pump, and crank. It would not smoke, however it did not crank as quickly as I wanted it to crank. I adjusted the carb to give it more choke and dropped the back the accelerator pump adjustment for less fuel. That worked better, but I developed a hesitation from the pump adjustment. The full cure is with the accelerator pump adjusted to midpoint and the choke adjusted for the current weather. I can now tap the accelerator and hit the switch and it fires right up with no smoke.

Thanks Ken!!!

Cheers

WM

OBD Engineering
Winding Man
18 years ago
O.K for those following this wee saga here is our start up routine:

One pedal pump, then crank and she starts first kick and no smoke at all.

OBD Engineering
simonhanloncole
18 years ago
I always find best to start a Beetle by putting foot down on the gas hold it there then turn the starter key as soon as she fires release the gas hey presto nice start and no smoke. Don't pump the gas its easy to flood the engine and smoke out your neighnours.
Simon
Winding Man
18 years ago
Thanks Simon,

We'll give that a try too. 😃
OBD Engineering