simonhanloncole
18 years ago
Is the 67 Bug really the 'Best Beetle', the one to own. It certainly makes a good daily driver in that you have fairly good brakes and comfortable interior but still have the vintage sloping headlights. Also got a ball joint beam which i suppose is less hassle.
Any thoughts!
Simon
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
18 years ago
I would say the '67 1500 was the peak of the Type 1 evolution, prior to the upright headlight models.

• Long bonnet
• Sloping front wings
• Disc brakes (single circuit)
• 12 volt electrics

After that, IRS and twin-port motors along with styling changes were the main changes (apart from super-beetles) so with a 67 1500 you get the best of everything! 😎
Rich Oakley
18 years ago
I would personally say I have a preference for 58-60 bugs. Still retain a lot of 'Oval-ness' with the good looks of the early big window model.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Slow 1200
18 years ago
er... euro 1500s did get disk brakes, but kept the 6 volt electrics!

on the other hand, US spec 67's had drum brakes (as ALL beetles sold in the sates BTW), but 12 volts...and upright headlamps....

Andy Sparks
18 years ago
Richard i agree with you, but i'm not exactly impartial on this one.

They look better with the smaller front window. Although i do know of more 57s than any other year, got a feeling the build quality of that year was better???
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
18 years ago
Well, that just answered a load of questions, i just registered to ask!
We just got hold of a 67 1500 project car...and were wondering if the single circuit disc brake set up was correct, as the only bugs weve ever had on 4 stud n discs were dual circuit set ups!
Is the master cylinder specific to the 67? Are they available or am I better off fitting the dual circuit master and US 67 dual circuit reservoir? I already have an ATE new master cyl...
As for the 6v electrics...the car came with no engine fitted and seems to be fitted with a 12v style flywheel. I forgot to check the starter to see if this is a 6v unit with 12volt style gear on it? Would this be correct?

The car is largely unmessed with (makes a pleasant change) so wed like to keep it that way!

Thanks in advance!!
67 bonnet wanted!!(or trimless long bonnet!)
six-o-one
18 years ago
Reading up on all this, Type 2 and 3 went to 12 volt for 67, beetles remained 6 volt as standard through 1967 but 12volt was offered as an option. It would also seem that the flywheel changed regardless of the voltage.

From Progressive refinements:

1 Aug. 66
Chassis number 117 000 001 (first 1500 was 117 000 003)
Flywheel Now: 130 teeth (outside dia. increased, starter and transmission case altered). Formerly: 109 teeth

1 Aug. 66
Chassis number 117 000 001
Electrical system Now: 12 volt Formerly: 6 volt (M610,611 M code option)

(Types 2 and 3 all went to 12v on 1. Aug 66 )

1 Aug. 67
Chassis number 118 000 002
Electrical system Now: 12 volt Formerly: 6 volt

1 Aug. 66
Chassis number 117 000 003 (1/1500)
Front wheels Now: Disc brakes Formerly: Drum brakes

14 Dec. 66
Chassis number 117 000 001 (only for certain export countries)
Brake system Now: Dual circuit system

six-o-one
18 years ago
It's all a bit vague about the brakes. I'm pretty sure the '67 1500 I had was single circuit with 12 volt electrics, but the electrics could have been uprated sometime in it's past.

😃
18 years ago
Crystal clear then? LOL!

Chassis no: 117546***
Definitely has the OG electrics throughout...all vw stamps n logos etc.
some parts are date stamped 1/67, so im assuming its post Jan 67. And was registered in May 67.
Its fitted with a single circuit m/cyl. and the front clip only has the facility for a single outlet reservoir.

HMMM! More research needed I think..
Thanks for the help so far.
:wink:
six-o-one
18 years ago
The last beetle in Feb '67 was: 117 566 719
last 1500 engine no. in Feb was: H0 647 064

From http:/www.historicvws.org.uk/ 
😃
18 years ago
Well, im getting there. Now I just need to know if i can run the disc brakes with the single circuit or shall i just change it anyway? After all, safety over originality as itll be a daily driven car 😎

be nice to know whats correct though!
Andy Sparks
18 years ago
Personally i think single circuit is only bad if not looked after. The rate we check our bugs you should easily see if anything is going wrong.

You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
six-o-one
18 years ago
A friend of mine runs a twin cicuit master cylinder on his oval, using the original brake reservoir with the pipe split into two.

Looks original and you would never know, unless you look underneath!
:wink:
18 years ago
Yeah, i agree, the single circuit systems are fine when you love the cars as much as we do...but I heard that the single circuit cylinder had a different residual pressure(?) and that the calipers would bind on slightly.
??!!

Surely a dual circuit master cylinder with a single circuit reservoir and a T-piece defeats the object? As if one end loses fluid, it will empty the reservoir anyway?!

Im happy running the stock set up if its going to work OK.

😎