Kabman
17 years ago

kabman, does yours have cable or hydraulic brakes?

:roll:

"six-o-one" wrote:

It has hydraulic brakes. I believe all Canadina cars did. They also all had towelrail bumpers, sealed beam headlights and red rear indicator lenses which were legal requirements. I don't know for certain but it's possible that hydraulic brakes were fitted for the same reason. It definitely did not have wingnut seats. I know that some of the parts on my car arenot the originals, like the steering wheel, and some of the accessories are not VW (not even German) but I'm trying to find out more. Whether or not it is a 'real standard' is irrelevant - I already know what it isn't, I want to know what it is πŸ˜ƒ

Here's another photo I found  6647.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
48REME
17 years ago
No one disputes that you may prefer more severe-looking Standard models like the German cars, John.
I too prefer them. The more KDF-like, the better, as far as I'm concerned.
But this is irrelevant.
What is wrong is saying that variations like the Canadian Standard models (which incidentally are rarer to see for us Europeans than German-style cars)
are not real Standards. It's the tone of the conversation which I dislike. It's almost like 'mine is better than his'. And who cares?!
It's also quite symbolic that you keep changing the title of this post to RHD STANDARDS when it started out being about 'square window standards' in general, simply because you have to bring it all back to your RHD oval which you love to plaster all over this 57-67 big window section.
Incidentally, if you want to be correct, your UK RHD Standard should sport chrome bumpers and hubcaps as well as two-tone wheels. Look at Malcolm's correct 58 for reference.
So don't brandish words like 'ignorant' about others.
Now, let's move on and end this pointless bickering.
This post is all about trying to find out more about square-window Standards, an obscure and relatively unknown part of VW history.
If you have anything to reveal and share about these, I'm sure we'd love to hear...
:wink:
Standard split
17 years ago
You introduced the title RHD Standards onto this part of the forum! It was then continued by every one until you later introduced the title Big Window Standards :!:

I have not plastered pictures of my RHD 1956 Standard Oval all over this forum, I have shown just one picture to illustrate my point. A picture of this very rare car also appears on the Oval forum – put there by somebody else :!:

I have explained clearly what a Standard model is further back. It seems that most people seem to agree judging by comments, like that above too. These Canadian Standards ARE NOT the true people's car, but dressed down deluxes or base models if you like :evil:

Please leave it at that.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
48REME
17 years ago
As I said, move on.
Malcolm, have a question for you please...
This is the luggage compartment of my 60 STD which still has the folded cardboard panels.
Does your RHD 58 have the same or carpet? I ask this because I know that some export Standard ovals and splits from Belgium actually had carpet.
I once had a Belgian 52 STD with original carpet.
I thought it may have been the same in the UK, maybe?  6651.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
17 years ago
Do I sense a little bit of tension here? :roll:

So what IS a standard if its not the base model? I had a 72 bug about 15 years ago that had no chrome on the dash, a small headliner and a simple 2 spoke steering wheel. Back then people called it a standard. It also had chrome outside trim and hydraulic brakes. I'm not suggesting that this was in any way a desirable car or nice looking, but I thought it was a standard.

So okay, I'll word it this way. I MYSELF do not consider these cars to be true Standard model.

"Standard split" wrote:

I'd consider this an opinion and not a fact, there's nothing wrong with this opinion and I'd be inclined to agree with it. But that doesn't mean that a later standard with hydraulic brakes is not a 'standard'.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
six-o-one
17 years ago

As I said, move on.
Malcolm, have a question for you please...
This is the luggage compartment of my 60 STD which still has the folded cardboard panels.
Does your RHD 58 have the same or carpet? I ask this because I know that some export Standard ovals and splits from Belgium actually had carpet.
I once had a Belgian 52 STD with original carpet.
I thought it may have been the same in the UK, maybe?

"48REME" wrote:

Mine has nothing in the back at the moment, but there are signs of glue and thread so I'm guessing it once had carpet all over the luggage area. I mentioned this to Richard Copping and he said his had carpet in the back as well. I'll have to pay him a visit soon and take some pictures. 😎

A good reference for an early '58 LHD std model is the one at BBT. There are loads of photos at https://www.bbt4vw.com/Car sales/Autoverkoop/kever/kever1957stdkeverjupitergrijs.php 

It's very similar to mine but with painted bumpers and the wheels are black and white and not jupiter grey. It has card in the back like yours too.

6653.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
48REME
17 years ago
Yes, that Belgian car is very nice and original. I had considered it at one point...It's actually a German car from Hamburg which came to Belgium, hence the German Standard look.
Am I dreaming or have I just noticed something?!: compare the carpet line on mine and on the 58. You may notice that the wheel arch detail is different and that the carpet edge follows! I never knew that, did you? :shock:
six-o-one
17 years ago

You may notice that the wheel arch detail is different and that the carpet edge follows! I never knew that, did you? :shock:

"48REME" wrote:

Well spotted! πŸ˜ƒ
mrsherbie
17 years ago

My original post was refering to proper standard models with cable brakes, small headlining and little or no chrome.

But I would still like to hear about the later base models like the 1200A too! πŸ˜ƒ

"six-o-one" wrote:

Mmn me too!
This is an interesting thread. I know little about standards but have just learnt lots!
Hi Kabman! your Canadian bug is very nice and looks a bit like my white 63 NZ bug πŸ˜ƒ (but mine is very definitely deluxe although quirky too!)

Top save Malcolm!
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Standard split
17 years ago
One of the most interesting Volkswagens that I have owned was actually a mid-green 1976 1200 Base model. This car was from Belgium, found there by Harvey Simpson, who, as I said earlier is a real standard VW buff, and who really could find the most interesting VWs πŸ™‚

This car was really a treat to see if you like VWs basic as I do. With an all painted interior and just the centre roof headining – plain white with no spot pattern, flimsy board interior/door panels, lack of full sound-proofing, and no glove box lid (it was made that way!), a cheap basic two-spoke steering wheel, basic unribbed cloth (black and white dog tooth pattern)seats which became thread bare after not too many miles, grey cardboard luggage liner under the rear window, matt black painted box bumpers, unplated door handles, fuel tank reserve lever among other things, it was a real throwback to the true spirit of the People's Car. Remember this is a 1976 model. I think that this was a special for the Belgium market, I've never seen another like this. I had a UK base model 1200 of the same year, but it was not as interesting as this car for sure.

But for all that, remember it is a Base model. not a Standard, and more basic than some of the cars shown further back on this forum! πŸ˜›

Oh yes, I also had a RHD 1967 1200 Base model, but this really did throw me – it did not have a fuel guage, it had the reserve tap and very little else just like the car above, but it had full starting handle provision at the back :?:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
six-o-one
17 years ago
Hey kabman, looking at the pic of your Karmann, I've just realised I met you and your wife on the road to Hessisch Oldendorf!
(Unless you've bought it since then!)

UserPostedImage

Kabman
17 years ago
That would be me. We will going to Bad Camberg as well but probably not in the kabrio. We now have a baby daughter and it has no seat belts which is the main reason I want to resurect the '64 (That photo is a few years old and is flattering). It doesn't require extensive work, mainly fixing the rust in the engine lid, replacing the front beam and repainting the exterior. The engine is already rebuilt and has been sitting in the garage for the last three years :oops:
pre67vw
17 years ago
And we camped right next to you at H.O. :!:  6674.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Kabman
17 years ago
I remember it well. Hopefully we'll see you all again on the drive to BC πŸ˜ƒ
Standard split
17 years ago
My friend and ex VW Motoring contributor from the 1970s – 1980s, Harvey Simpson returned back here from his native Canada last week, and telephoned me over the weekend. Harvey is also a long-standing and very well respected vintage VW expert.

I mentioned to him the Forum re the Standard models.

He does not use computers, and for those of you wishing to know more on the Standard Model subject, I am posting his reply on his behalf.

He said that the Canadian β€˜Standards’ mentioned were infact marketed as the Canadian Custom Model, he remembers them being on the market. They are not the actual Standard Model, as for a start they are on a DeLuxe chassis, (hydraulic brakes, etc).

The actual Standard Model itself finished production in April 1962. Cars hereafter were basic bodied units on a Deluxe chassis, they have hydraulic brakes, fitted front seat runners, and usually a synchromesh box fitted. These are base models or 1200A. Australia, he says had its own interesting base model, in that up to 1966 it had a crash box fitted. Other countries had odd variations too.

He continues that RHD standard models are very rare in the UK of both oval and bigger window types. He estimates only about 10 of each came here and who knows how many still exist – remember, each had about the same time in production, five years between 1953 and 1962.

So I guess I'll take more care of my RHD 56 Standard, it may well prove to be more collectable than my '47 :!:
six-o-one
17 years ago
I was chatting with someone at the Slough swap meet about Standard beetles and he recons there is another RHD big window standard in a large UK private collection.

So there may be 4 known, including the roof-chopped one! :shock:
Hebster52
17 years ago
Some facts about European Bigwindow Standards:

Bumpers still painted. Stuffed sunvisor for the driver. Front turnsignalcovers painted. Adjustable backrest for the driver.

1-circuit hydraulicbrakes.

VW-logo painted same colour as bumpers (unpainted earlier).

Adjustable heatflaps under rearseat.

Dashknobs and steeringwheel (3-spoke) silverbeige coloured. (earlier black). Headlining in "Kunststoff" (Transl?.earlier in wool). Bodycolours same as export models. Seatcovers in vinyl? (earlier in wool)

Wide painted front turnsignalcovers. Earlier narrow.

First 1200A model. Synchromesh gearbox. (earlies non-synchro gearbox)

"1200" logo on the decklid. (earlier without) Speedo up to 140km/h (earlier up to 120km/h). 34hp engine. (earlier 30hp engine)

First 1300A. Black 2-spoke steerinwheel. (earlier silverbeige 3-spoke). Plastic turnsignal switch (earlier steeltube and bakelitecknob). Optional either 34hp or 40hp. (ended 31.07.1967)

Chromed bumpers without bumperhorns.etc.etc...

I have an early -63 myself and it has the original 30hp engine, non-synchro gearbox, hydraulicbrakes, black 3-spoke steeringwheel. Wingnuts for the seats, painted bumpers and front turnsignals. Seatcovers without piping. The only things that are not typical Standard on mine is the fronthood trim and rockguards on rearfenders. Those were mounted on the car when it was delivered to the first owner. (I bought it from the same guy 40 years later...)
The HebsterWerks.
SixtyFive
17 years ago
hi, i've just found a blue standard beetle.
black 3 spoke steering wheel, half headliner, painted 1/4 lights etc...
lhd canadian import, with trim and us spec bumpers. and has the canadian only 'volkswagen' script it even has the dealer badge!
i don't know what year it is, as they stopped semaphores in 55 in the states, and it has snowflake rear lights.

anyone know how to get an address from a phone number?
six-o-one
17 years ago

anyone know how to get an address from a phone number?

"SixtyFive" wrote:

Yes, phone the number and ask the person at the other end! :wink:
SixtyFive
17 years ago
yep, but we recon the guy only answers his calls to who he knows, he has an answerphone... but doesn't call back...