Grike
  • Grike
  • Guest Topic Starter
17 years ago
First off I'll apologise for the lack of information I'll be providing, but please read on :oops:

Ever since I first saw my grandparents their VW van when I was 10 years old I was completely in love with it. I spent hours and hours sitting behind the wheel of this beauty dreaming away.

9 years later, I'm still dreaming about it, but I've decided to stop dreaming and actually doing something about it.

I am planning to go on a eurotrip with two of my friends but the condition of the van is not too optimal. It has been sitting in a garage for the past 20 years and hasn't moved an inch. It's not exactly a moist place so hopefully the rust damage won't be too bad. I'm planning on going for another visit soon and I'll be taking my camera with me to have a very detailed look at it.

I'm hoping that some of you will give me tips as to where I should look for rust, I've been told to look under the hood, inside of the doors, etc... any other places I should look?

Hopefully I'll be able to provide more information as to which kind it is, I'll have to get my grandmother to dig up the papers or perhaps the pictures will help you guys identify it, I've been told that it's a prototype.

My uneducated guess is that besides the tires and the engine the electrical wiring (for the camping part) I won't have to replace an awful lot, note I know absolutely nothing about cars.

Thankfully one of my friends who is joining me on this journey works in a garage, the other one is pretty experienced at fixing motors, hopefully his knowledge of motors can be transferrable.

The plan is to store it in the garage where my friend works, where we can all work on it whenever we have some spare time. The big tasks such as connecting the engine and what not we will leave up to the professionals but smaller tasks we'll try and do as much as possible to keep costs as low as possible.

Note we're all just students so our funds are limited.
I'm also clueless as to what costs I might be looking at, I know that with this bare mininum of information it's difficult to make an estimate but give it a shot if you can :)
I've been told that it can cost me anywhere from €5,000 to €15,000.
5k I can live with, but 15k is a tad above my budget.

I'll include a picture to give you a basic idea of which kind I'm talking about.

This is the one it resembled the most.

I hope I didn't break any rules posting this, I failed to see a sticky in this section. If I did however break a rule I apologise.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
17 years ago
Hi, welcome to the forum.

You could probably get the bus on the road for not too much money, if the chassis rails, out riggers, floor. sills and general structual areas are solid and just do the work needed to get it through whatever testing you have to comply with where you are.

You don't have to do a full restoration to enjoy it.
Just make sure you concentrate on safety and reliability for your trip and have fun!

Good luck.

😃