vintagevw
17 years ago
Till when they used that on deluxe splitbeetles.
They are unpainted white (on both sides) bakelite.
Who haves a nice one with no cracks?  15955.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Standard split
17 years ago
This is an interesting and seldom mentioned subject.

The early Deluxe splits had ivory coloured bakelite dash panels, and of course, the Standards continued with conventional brown.

As far as I understand, the ivory coloured bakelite was found to be more sensitive than the brown, and cracked and also broke more easily.

I believe that it was during 1950, because of the weakness of the white, VW changed to using the Standard model panels instead on the Deluxe, spray painting the front ivory, but still fitting white switches. Perhaps someone has catalogued information from VW on this change. :?:

Anyway, most Deluxe splits I have seen have had the painted version, because when looking under the bonnet and behind the dash the panels are usually brown on the back. The ivory coloured panels seem to be rather rare.

My 1949 Deluxe has the ivory bakelite ones – it's a rare very early production Deluxe which also has cable brakes, the same as the Standard model. Hydraulic brakes were fitted to Deluxes 1950 on :wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
vintagevw
17 years ago
The problem is that if they have cracks you have to paint them!
No other solution I think.
Are they making new plate covers for the speedometer?  8810.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
17 years ago
What year is your Split :?:

Maybe it would be better to get the more common brown panels in uncracked condition and paint them :?:

I'm not sure that painting the ones you have will be successful.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
mrsherbie
17 years ago
I have wondered about this detail also!!
In a May/June 50 unrestored car here the clock pod is cream ( and cracked) but the speedo is brown painted cream.
But in another unrestored car from Oct/Nov 50 later both pods are brown painted cream.
We have some spare cream pods but I think none without cracks.

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrsherbie
17 years ago
Something else I have noticed about these pods, on the 50 pods including a 50 bus and 48 beetle the coloured lenses are a different more opaque plastic and brighter colour when not lit, see the green one in your pic above, but your blue one looks quite dark blue, but it could just be dirty? Ours are light blue like the green one. I took some out and they are quite different to some other pods with more transparent lenses which light up better.
Was there a date change in the lenses? Or just manufacturers difference.
I know some are held in with metal C rings, but others come out in one piece, lens and housing. I have just found the 2 types so far.

vintagevw
17 years ago
Hi, it's not a split it's a Heb.
She's from Januari 1950.
It wouldn'd be any problem to restore the one to repaint but I want the correct one unpainted.
I can wait no problem, I'm not in a hurry.
First of all I want to collect my parts before starting a restoration, if you need parts when your car is almost finisched you won't find it or pay the double of price.  8837.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Standard split
17 years ago
Yes, I think that it would be fair to say that your car would have the actual white bakelite panels – I doubt that it's a post '50 :!:

Finding white ones without cracks though…
mrsherbie
17 years ago
Ones with cracks are ok in my book, especially if they all did this anyway? It means the correct part has lasted over 50years in the car. I would personally prefer than fitting the wrong type and painting it? But it is one of those personal 'restoration or no restoration?' issues I think! And certainly will maybe look untidy on a shiny fully restored car.
I expect there is a nice uncracked one out there somewhere that is just waiting for you to find it, so it can find a new home in a Heb! 😃
vintagevw
17 years ago
Ok, who haves a shiny white unpainted one?
Standard split
17 years ago
It certainly think that it will be difficult to get a nice pair of white bakelite panels.

The only reason the set in my '49 are almost un-marked is that they have never been touched, and the car has had little use.

I don't think I'd dare to mess with them :!: