JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
17 years ago
What pressure are people running in crossply tyres? (In Bar please!) I think mine must be too hard at the front, as they scrub out in the wet at just about walking speed! Or is that just crossplies in general?

thanks
JD
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
simonhanloncole
17 years ago
1.2 bar up front and 1.8 bar at the rear, increase by a small fraction if your driving on autobarn etc. ensure you only check the pressure when the tyre is cold. My best advice would be to ditch the crossplys and stick on a set of radials, cross ply tyres are not safe. if you prang your pride and joy and it was because you couldn't stop or it skidded sideways then you will regret it.
originality and all that i know but sometimes its not best paticularly if you drive the car a lot
Just my view
Simon
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
17 years ago
Thanks Simon. I will check the pressures and see if it feels any better. (It couldn't possibly be worse.)

I know what you mean about crossplies, they are flippin' lethal, but radials just look wrong on an old car. (Its a `58) I was however wondering about using an early Michelin X though (as used on E type Jags, squire!) as they are tall and thin and generally not too radial looking.

If I go any more "late model" and start with Michelin XZXs, then I'm going to have to lower the car a bit, just to fill the giant gaps I'll have under the wheel arches!!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage