Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

1974dudley Offline
#1 Posted : 08 June 2016 10:14:36(UTC)
1974dudley

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi everyone I am looking for help in identifying a original light grey split beetle colour used in 1952.

I am restoring another of my 1952 split beetles. It's a deluxe model with crotch coolers. I can see original paint behind the chassis plate which is light grey in colour and I am thinking it looks like L23 Silver Grey. It isn't Jupiter or Pearl Grey and it is much lighter so that's why I am thinking L23 Silver Grey.

Has anyone any pictures of a light grey split or colour codes for something in light grey.

Thanks in advance Colin.
Sponsor

(Register and log-in to hide thread adverts)
mrmagyar Offline
#2 Posted : 14 June 2016 08:53:58(UTC)
mrmagyar

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Colin,

As far as I know the only grey available on Beetles up until at least '53 was L21 Pearl grey. Jupiter grey came in '53 but as you say it's much lighter. It's not the undercoat that's showing is it?

Cheers,
Andy.
1949 Standard
1955 RHD De Luxe
Rattletrap Offline
#3 Posted : 14 June 2016 18:25:30(UTC)
Rattletrap

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mrmagyar Go to Quoted Post
Hi Colin,

As far as I know the only grey available on Beetles up until at least '53 was L21 Pearl grey. Jupiter grey came in '53 but as you say it's much lighter. It's not the undercoat that's showing is it?

Cheers,
Andy.

This is certainly correct for the Standard model. I have though seen a lighter grey before on a DeluxeConfused
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet OMG
Running nifty since 1950… the King of VolkswagensBeer Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
BigGrin

The great Rattletrap debate: http://forums.pre67vw.co...aspx?g=posts&t=16378
1974dudley Offline
#4 Posted : 15 June 2016 15:20:38(UTC)
1974dudley

My 52 standard is L21 pearl grey, but this deluxe bug is much lighter. I am trying to get some L90 and some L23 mixed up as these seem to be the closest to the og paint behind the vin plate. The local paint suppliers are unable to get the formula sorted for the L23 or the L90 though which is holding my plans to paint the wheels to see which is the best match for the og paint.

Edited by user 15 June 2016 15:21:21(UTC)  | Reason: additional info added

1974dudley Offline
#5 Posted : 16 June 2016 09:17:21(UTC)
1974dudley

I have removed the ashtray hardware from the dash as it has been painted over by the previous owner to reveal more of this light colour on the dash behind the ashtray bevel. I am in the process of removing the bulk of the primer using a mixture of nitromors and thinners. Its a horrible job but I want to see whats there before going bare metal. Some nice crusty patina coming through and it is tempting to go down this route but keep everything original and usable as I am going down the full respray with the other split.
Rattletrap Offline
#6 Posted : 16 June 2016 17:51:16(UTC)
Rattletrap

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
What country is your car fromQuestion

I ask this because I think that VW had lighter colours for vehicles destined for hotter countries, that is different from the usual colours for Europe and the USA for example.

I have seen the lighter grey as well as white/cream on South African Split-Window-Beetles, although these would normally be right-hand-drive.Smile
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet OMG
Running nifty since 1950… the King of VolkswagensBeer Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
BigGrin

The great Rattletrap debate: http://forums.pre67vw.co...aspx?g=posts&t=16378