'64 ghia coupe
16 years ago
Can anyone tell me how many of the 6361 cabriolets produced by Karmann in 1955 would have been RHD?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Andy Sparks
16 years ago
I have seen about 2, so if yours is as well, that'll be 3.
You can never have too many accessories on your car. πŸ™‚
Ovalbug
16 years ago
I don't think you'll ever get a definitive answer, probably 'not many' is about as close as you'll get..... :lol: .
When I bought my '72 cabrio (original British RHD car) I contacted the archivist at Wilhelm Karmann Gmbh to ask the very same question but was told that Karmann didn't keep LHD vs RHD production figures sadly....
As far as I am aware cabrios were always built to special order only for the UK market; the 1st owner of my 1302LS waited 3 months for it to arrive.
I would hazard a guess that the situation was similar in '55 ,although with an annual production figure of only 6361 the RHD production figure must surely be a tiny fraction of that ....... :wink:

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
Could be more than you think.
Think of the hot countries that use RHD cars.
(Australia,South Africa)and there's quite a few more.
vwmadeinireland
16 years ago
I was asking myself the same question. I bought an original RHD 1954 - 1955 convertible a few weeks back, lots of work ahead of me :roll: . Going to pick it up the weekend after next 😎 .

In Laurence Meredith book The Original Beetle there are 2 shown. I searched the gallery on TheS@mb@ and did not find a single RHD oval vert :shock: . Same thing on some large UK site.

True, but both countries assembled / build beetles so ragtop beetles would be a more logical choice when living in any of those countries. I can only assume importing a complete convertible in those countries would be much more expensive (relative) than buying in Europe due to the additional shipping costs and possibly extra import taxes (of which CKD kits were exempt / lower).
Ovalbug
16 years ago

"'50 Karmann" wrote:

AFAIK for some strange reason the Karmann Beetle was never officially imported into Australia by VW so production for that market wouldn't be a factor....
Still think the RHD figures would be very low................ :lol:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
'64 ghia coupe
16 years ago

I have seen about 2, so if yours is as well, that'll be 3.

"Andy Sparks" wrote:

So thats 4 including mine & vwmadeinireland, Any more? :wink: πŸ˜ƒ

vwmadeinireland
16 years ago
There was a black one in VolksWorld a year or 2 back. Lovely restored. I think it was a late 1955 (so 1956 model).
'50 Karmann
16 years ago

There was a black one in VolksWorld a year or 2 back. Lovely restored. I think it was a late 1955 (so 1956 model).

"vwmadeinireland" wrote:

That was probably Joff Taylors car,now in the States.
vintagevw
16 years ago

I was asking myself the same question. I bought an original RHD 1954 - 1955 convertible a few weeks back, lots of work ahead of me :roll: . Going to pick it up the weekend after next 😎 .

In Laurence Meredith book The Original Beetle there are 2 shown. I searched the gallery on TheS@mb@ and did not find a single RHD oval vert :shock: . Same thing on some large UK site.

"vwmadeinireland" wrote:

True, but both countries assembled / build beetles so ragtop beetles would be a more logical choice when living in any of those countries. I can only assume importing a complete convertible in those countries would be much more expensive (relative) than buying in Europe due to the additional shipping costs and possibly extra import taxes (of which CKD kits were exempt / lower).

I have a NOS rear pannel for your car!  12933.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
vwmadeinireland
16 years ago

I have a NOS rear pannel for your car!

I know! I've seen it on TheS@mb@. I emailed you about it, but am afraid I hve no split parts for a swap 😞
pre67vw
16 years ago
UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
Did you purcase your car from a guy in Southport?
vintagevw
16 years ago

I have a NOS rear pannel for your car!

"vwmadeinireland" wrote:

I know! I've seen it on TheS@mb@. I emailed you about it, but am afraid I hve no split parts for a swap 😞

A shame, otherwise we could hava a deal.
No accessoiries?
'64 ghia coupe
16 years ago
Damn that would have come in VERY handy for my vert a few months back 😞
'64 ghia coupe
16 years ago

Did you purcase your car from a guy in Southport?

"'50 Karmann" wrote:

Yes from a guy called Arthur Law, it had been advertised on the Historic VW Club site for a little while, told me he had only had 2 calls before mine πŸ˜ƒ

Selling due to emigration to France
'64 ghia coupe
16 years ago

UserPostedImage

"pre67vw" wrote:

I had a chat with the owner of this while it was at Stonor, great car and nice bloke
pre67vw
16 years ago

great car and nice bloke

"'64 ghia coupe" wrote:

Indeed!! 😎
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
vintagevw
16 years ago

"'64 ghia coupe" wrote:

Yours is an Iris blue one, men I love that colour!
Mine was also the same colour, a 1955.
It wasn't finished yet....
vintagevw
16 years ago

"'64 ghia coupe" wrote:

Yours is an Iris blue one, men I love that colour!
Mine was also the same colour, a 1955.
It wasn't finished yet....  13029.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.