six-o-one
17 years ago
After reading throught the translations of the VW documents on Hebmuller.com , checking out some of the Hebmüller Aufbau plate information listed on Kabriolett.com  and also refering to the official VW month by month production figures published in "Volkswagen Beetle Coachbuilts and Cabriolets" by Keith Sume and Bob Shail, I've come up with the folowing theory:

The published facts:

• Volkswagens order was for 675 Type 14a convertibles
• The Fire at the factory - 23rd July 1949
• 53 Type 14a Cabrios already delivered to Volkswagen before the fire
• 33 Type 14a Body shells destroyed in the fire
• 32 bodies saved from the fire, finished and ready for paint
• 11 cabrios on wheels awaiting missing parts also saved

• Heb#5 Aufbau 18945 (Total Hebmüller production) 2106 (Completed 21st June '49 one month before the fire)
• Heb#6 Aufbau 18939 (6 cars before Heb#5) 2607 (Completed 26th July '49 3 days after the fire)
• Heb#100 Aufbau 19024 (85 cars higher than Heb#6) 0109 (Completed 1st September '49)

1949 Production Figures:
April 1 (Production Test Car)
June 27
July 28
August 24
September 17

What I've concluded from thge above information:

1. You can see from the above that the body number was probably stamped and total production figure calculated and allocated to each shell when it entered the factory, but the aufbau plate was rivited on when the car left - hence the very early Heb#6 having a completion date after the fire.

2. You can see from the above that at the date of the fire, 129 Hebmüller Type 14a cars are accounted for; 53 finished and delivered (this figure ties in with the official VW figure for June and July), 43 still to be finished and 33 lost forever! If they all had body numbers already stamped, this would put the last body at this date around #129.

3. If you look at the production figures for August and September they total 41 cars which accounts for the completion of the cars which were saved from the fire. Heb#100 was completed on 1st September which again ties in: 53 delivered + 33 destroyed + 24 built in August = 110 cars.
If the cars destroyed in the fire didn't have body numbers, or the numbers were realocated you would expect the body number at the end of August to be around 79-83 ish.

4. This also explains why there are body numbers over 700. For Hebmüller to meet the order for 675 cars they would have to complete at least 712 cars (the 4 prototypes, 675 ordered cars and the 33 which were lost).

5. If you use the VW figure of 696 which includes the prototypes and karmann built cars and add the 33 lost cars it gives you a final body number of around 729.

So the question is which 33 body numbers (from somewhere around 54 to 129ish) were lost in the fire?

😃 😃
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
17 years ago
were the 33 lost cars all type 14a's? I didn't know that was documented...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
17 years ago
Ah yep, on hebmuller.com - cool :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Hebster52
17 years ago
I had written down the same theory on my Homepage too.. :wink:

Hebmuller History 
The HebsterWerks.
vintagevw
17 years ago
I think Bob from BBT has nr 56
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
six-o-one
17 years ago

"vintagevw" wrote:

Does anyone have the Aufbau information for #56?
Was it completed before or after the fire?

😃

9137.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
17 years ago

"six-o-one" wrote:

Does anyone have the Aufbau information for #56?
Was it completed before or after the fire?

😃

"vintagevw" wrote:

before the fire, just...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
heb623
17 years ago
The side windows look strange to me! :shock:
Can anybody of you specalists explain that to ET ? :roll:

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
vintagevw
17 years ago
The doors are not correct of the car.
The side windows are homemade....
If you offer Bob enough he will sell the heb.
pre67vw
17 years ago

The side windows look strange to me! :shock:
Can anybody of you specalists explain that to ET ? :roll:

"heb623" wrote:

There is a story that the quarter lights were added by Rometsch at the owners request.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
heb623
17 years ago
Offcourse, ... and Elvis is still alive!!! :lol:

I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
zelensis61
17 years ago
Hello,
The aufbau numbers are the totality of "things" they made in the factory.
As you all probably know the factory was in fact on 3 different adresses.
You can find that in the book about Hebmuller.

Now they did not made only VW type 14s... in the mean time of construction they made also trucks, type 18a and some other cars...
If you have looked at the picts of the fire, the one on Ebay a few months ago, you can clearly see that there are a few half finished opel trucks in front of the factory.
You have to count them too in the aufbau nrs...

The Heb that Bob ownes is a rare one..
Not only are the windows uncomon on that car but the aufbau number was also strange. I have a clear pict of that one and that nr is much smaller in digits then on every other Heb i have seen.. even Nr 5 is higer
As Bob asked me not to show those picts I will not do it.

The Hebmuller history will be for ever a mistery as long no one can show original paperwork like Bruce did on his site.. Pitty it is only 7 documents.
I wish I could go dig in much more paperwork in the archieves at VW...  9209.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
kdf38
17 years ago
Funny, I was doing the same type of clue hunting with figures from Klaus' site and elsewhere on the 'net.
Mike

After reading throught the translations of the VW documents on Hebmuller.com , checking out some of the Hebmüller Aufbau plate information listed on Kabriolett.com  and also refering to the official VW month by month production figures published in "Volkswagen Beetle Coachbuilts and Cabriolets" by Keith Sume and Bob Shail, I've come up with the folowing theory:

😃 😃

"six-o-one" wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
zelensis61
17 years ago
The numbers.. Ohhh questions, AUFBAU nr Ohh Questions, prototypes Oh so many questions...
:?:
Hey malc and others who investigate Hebmüllers:
- Do you count the aufbau nrs from the Prototypes with your calculation, and if so how many cars...? :roll:

- What with car Heb nr 12, I mentioned that one a while ago?
Go back in this forum and re-read my theory about it...
I am sure you will have another tought about that one. :shock:

- How many cars are made with the prototype decklid with the stamped corners in the engine lid? :shock:

- How many type 18a' are made the same time as 14a models? 😎

- How many oval dash Hebmullers are made original...?
:twisted:

Anyone with an answer?
Peter, :twisted: this time the evil one...
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
'50 Karmann
17 years ago

If you offer Bob enough he will sell the heb.

"vintagevw" wrote:

Approx how much is enough.
And will it come with all the panels Bob has collected?
vintagevw
17 years ago
You can always try......
He won't bite!
'50 Karmann
17 years ago
With answers like that Patrick,you should become a politician :wink: