mick 58
16 years ago
Hi

Can anyone help me locate a correct rear crossmember for my 1958 beetle. Was this avaliable as a panel from VW, if so I would like an NOS one. Or a very goo used one, all the companies seem to stock 65 and on VW crossmembers but they are different in profile.

Many thanks

Mick
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
Do you mean the panel the heater tubes pass thru'?
If so,you will be extremely lucky to find an NOS one,a friend and i have been keeping our eyes open for a fair few years.
If by some chance you find two ,please let us know.
mick 58
16 years ago

That is the panel I mean, I thought they may be hard to get hold of. I just do fancy putting in the later ones. I want to keep the car as close to original as I can. Do you think there is a chance of getting hold of a good second hand set.

Thanks
Chris
16 years ago
As George has said, you will be very lucky to find a N.O.S. crossmember section. 😞 Try this guy for used ones. He quoted me for an Oval one so he can get his hands on them. His name's Pete and his company is 'Early-Air'. You've got nothing to loose. Also let us know how much he quoted. Good Luck. :wink:

Early Air 
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
mick 58
16 years ago
Thanks Chris

Have spoke to Pete at early air and at the moment he hasn't got any cross members. He said he could get some so ive just got to wait. :beer: . I will let you know how much if I get hold of them.

Thanks for your help :wink:
16 years ago

Hi Mick,

I don't know if you know but hey come in two halves.

I'm currently restoring Paul Denham's car and happen to know he has a rhs nos one for sale at the moment.

Check out his resto thread and you can contact him via pm on here
https://restowagenuk.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7769&start=90 
www.trailer-queen-restos.skynetblogs.be/
For all your resto and detailing needs 07977 508907.

www.trailerqueenrestos.com
Etzhold1
16 years ago
Is that the front H apron from Autocraft???

mick 58
16 years ago
I bought a front apron from Auto craft the panel is spot on to the original. Top qaulity panel.
Etzhold1
16 years ago

I bought a front apron from Auto craft the panel is spot on to the original. Top qaulity panel.

"mick 58" wrote:

😳 That front apron is a Bad reproduction !
I have one here, I would never weld it in a car ! Alot of things are wrong !
I was checkng the restauration pictures mentioned above this topic !
He did a great job, all his hand made parts are perfect, Realy a great Job!
Just check the bumper holes, and the H impressionin that front apron, not even close to the original !
I have seen reproductions from 55 euro and they are better ! OK the metal they used is better but thats all !
Ones again , he did a great job !

Guido
mrsherbie
16 years ago

As George has said, you will be very lucky to find a N.O.S. crossmember section. 😞 Try this guy for used ones. He quoted me for an Oval one so he can get his hands on them. His name's Pete and his company is 'Early-Air'. You've got nothing to loose. Also let us know how much he quoted. Good Luck. :wink:

Early Air 

"Chris" wrote:

He is about the only person I can think of too who is still cutting up ovals for parts. Although with beetles picking up slowly even that will come to an end at some point soon. Usually the sort of ovals that are only good for cutting up :shock: will be rusty in this panel and heater channels anyway. NOS is the way if you are prepared to pay for sure 😃
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
pre67vw
16 years ago

Hi Mick,

I don't know if you know but hey come in two halves.

I'm currently restoring Paul Denham's car and happen to know he has a rhs nos one for sale at the moment.

Check out his resto thread and you can contact him via pm on here
https://restowagenuk.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7769&start=90 

"Trailer Queen Restos" wrote:

Just been looking over those resto pictures, awesome work!!!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
jonathan.28
16 years ago
There is currently a crossmember for sale on the samba.
jonathan.28
16 years ago
I see now that it is the same panel as mentioned earlier. Silly me!
Chris
16 years ago
Found this for sale on VZi. It says 'early', but just how early I don't know. Got to be worth a try.

Cross member for sale 

Good Luck,
Chris
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
Dirk Diggler
16 years ago
Sorry my first post has to be like this but i feel Guido is out of line for saying are front aprons are bad reproductions. He told me the apron was going on a Heb so it needed to be 100% but never told me what the problem with the apron was.
Im fitting one to my own oval which im more than happy to and trust me i like things to be right. We have had feedback from people who have fitted them and its all been Good.
I have sent Guido email and asked him if he feels any different to let me know and not everyone else on this forum.
Will post pics of apron on oval when i get around to fitting it.
Thanks

Karl
Dirk Diggler
16 years ago
Just a link to somebody who was happy with the front apron.
https://www.clubveedub.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24929&start=15 
As before i think bad reproduction is way off the mark.

karl
Etzhold1
16 years ago
I'll post some detailled pictures tomorrow from a original and Your reproduktion Karl !
So you can see the differents between them, If you like the aprons no problem for me ,but I don't like them 😳 , and I would put it never on a car ! There are better solutions on the marked and for less money!
There was a guy in the work shop who never owned a VW and he was seeing the differents by himself !

Guido
Etzhold1
16 years ago
Auto craft front aprons pictures !  14962.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Etzhold1
16 years ago
Auto craft front aprons pictures !  14963.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Etzhold1
16 years ago
Auto craft front aprons pictures !  14964.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.