mrsherbie
15 years ago
I have always thought this is a great car, but just saw some interior pics and discussion about it on another forum ( to be modified!) and thought I would post it here, in any attempt to keep it owned by a stocker!
I dont know the owner, or the car, but I think these pics speak for themselves! It is original paint Diamond green.
It's not far from the condition of my lhd all original 55, and I would want more than 4k for that if I were to sell it ( which I am not) even with my roof dents!

https://www.pre67vw.com/classifieds/detail.aspx?id=1035 

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
15 years ago
I would love to take that on but I've already got the '58 waiting!

M
:d

Standard split
15 years ago
With wing beading and rear light rubbers painted over I doubt that the exterior paint is original :?:

Original paint on the inside is nothing unusual. It is a nice car though and would look good driving around as it looks :wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
There looks to be og blue paint under the back seat and bottom of the door, unless its primer ???

Wasn't this car for sale on here a while ago ?

Kev

harveypj
15 years ago
100% primer. My 58 was the same. I was quite surprised how thin the base colour coat was in places, particularly the bottoms of the doors. Might just be a metalic thing?
Stock......the new custom
15 years ago

Actually she has had paintwork in the past, I only discovered this when I pulled her out of the barn to wash her for the first time in seven years of me owning her. And even when I first purchased her and draged her out of the barn in Exeter I hadn't noticed, due to the fact that the old guy had coated her in wax with a five inch brush back in 1981 when he put her away.

So yes she has had paintwork and I have tried to revise the classified but it wont let me?? I dont want to mislead anyone in any way.

Having said that, It doesn't take much away from the fact that she is still a beautiful old girl.

Anyway, she's now been given a new brake and fuel system and just completed her first mile in 27 years.

If she doesn't go to a good home she'll stay with me and see the road once more next year. ( Which really is what I want, :lol: :lol:
http://www.hannoverheritage.co.uk 
"Restorer's of classic Volkswagens"

My babies:
59' Vert
62' 23 window samba
67' Westfalia
68' Westfalia
68' Delux microbus
70' Westfalia
70' Stingray Corvette
77' Westfalia
88' T25 Panel
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I would'nt worry, I think old repaints with patina are perfectly acceptable nowadays, so long as the seller says so, especially when a car is over 50 years old and so original otherwise. I must admit I did think it was in almost too good! condition for og metallic, as they go flat SO fast, much more so than the flat colours like my beige car. And whereas my flat non metallic paint polished up, I have tried to do a metallic and they just dont come up at all once the lacquer has worn off. But it does look like a very accurate diamond green. Such a super colour. Also the bottoms of those doors and under rear seat say the car is in very good shape indeed.

I found the thread going about the car on the other forum a pretty funny read :lol: I love the way people are quick to brag about solid rustfree og uk ovals being ten a penny and easily found! The fact that Julian Robinson is very admirably restoring that frightening 53 is evidence enough that UK rhd cars are very special indeed.

I almost wish I owned a rhd uk oval because if I did I would run an online register for them because someone really needs to!

Yes, I can find you hundreds of shiny restored cars for sale complete with nasty tmi interiors and heavily repaired full body restos, put back together plastered with repro parts & accessories

Its taken me 20yrs of vw's to get my og oval, not 5 minutes searching!! And to be fair I would'nt have found it without Owen, as it never went up for sale anywhere.

I know yours is a 56 (not 54/55 as following samba thread) but your engine looks very correct ( I am not expert on engines!) a lot like mine which I didnt even realise was so correct until I read this thread on the samba! I have posted my engine on there:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179439&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 

I have always found that personal cars owned by people who work daily in the vw scene ( ie. not just cars being handled for a living) are usually the good ones, and judging by the bottom door shot and under rear seat it is pretty clear that this is a very good solid car as it looks just like mine.

Funnily enough we bought a 65 this year that we thought was og paint as it was flat and chalky and the correct colour, I only discovered it was'nt after we'd had it for a couple of months (has had an exterior only repaint many years ago) when I washed it for the first time also! :lol:

I look forward to seeing your car out next year anyway. And by the way I would'nt even consider selling my leftie for £4k! :d

Ovalbug
15 years ago
Its a lovely car Anna, and I hope it finds a good home to have a 100% stock resto, but I don't think it is quite as solid as may first appear ..............

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Still worth 4K?

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
pre67vw
15 years ago

Still worth 4K?

Ovalbug wrote:

If it was LHD it would be worth less than half that, so how much does being RHD add?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mrsherbie
15 years ago

UserPostedImage
Still worth 4K?

Ovalbug wrote:

Yes, because if it was mine thats what I would also want for it. I think it is the right price and wouldnt accept a penny less based only on the photo's on the net. And equally, like the seller, I 'do not need' to sell any of my cars either, like lots of people on pre67 forum, but far less so on V**
So when I do I can afford to ask what I believe is correct market value (like the seller)
V** is hardly the most reliable index for vw prices! :lol:

And if the VLY 91 plate is going back on the car? There is over half the money right there!! Yet everyone seems to have overlooked this minor detail??!!

And for the record, an unwelded lhd complete driving oval with an interior as good as the 56 would not be worth less than £2k Rob, as you know having recently searched for one.

This car looks to need a bit less welding than my 50 did.
So lets put it into perspective and remember that both the 56 and my 55 are unwelded honest cars, as those pics above are VERY blown up huge pics of small holes, especially in the footwell lower corner of the bulkhead (look at the size of the vent trim in the pic!!) which is an area that virtually ALL pre57 cars need work on. Admittedly my car has no rust here, but then it is not a uk rhd either. The bonnet is oddly bad on the green car like at some point it has sat under a gutter, but still it is fixable ( my bonnet is not rusty but has 3 splits of 1 inch each that I need to repair)

I have found a hole in my rear corner now also, (although my heater channels are perfect) and you notice this wing needs repair as the bottom corner under the stoneguard has gone!
UserPostedImage
And here is the wider shot ( no repaint or resto here) you see how the hole and wing repair does'nt seem so bad now? :wink: And dont forget my car came from as far North in Sweden as you can drive! not 50 years on SALTY uk roads.
UserPostedImage

My spare wheel is the worst part of my car, as you see I have a very similar rusty split all along also, and apparently mostly due to the fact that 54/55 didnt have the lower black round cover, so it would have got wet in here! ( a Wolfparts panel is going to fix this :d )
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

As you know Ovalbug I bid on your car also :d BUT the big thing I dont like about UK cars is 'concrete garage disease' that nasty veined surface rust that gets inside. This green car does not have this problem inside and that is indictative to me that it has been kept reasonably dry. It's rot is from road use, which means the rust has not got into every seam, so is much more specific to small areas and so easier to repair.

I am SURE there are a few even more solid unrestored unmessed with UK cars around, but lets be honest its not going to be lots! :lol:

Ovalbug, I think your car was a great buy especially being a rare UK 53!! But feel free to post up pics of the same areas if you are confident that is is better than both mine and the green car?

Its not a competition, and I am not saying the 56 is biggest absolute bargain of the century, but then why should it be? but I also dont think it is so bad as some people are making out?
Are there any other unwelded uk cars for sale at the moment for comparison?
Try buying a uk oval that has multiple patch repairs under the arches and all over it for £2k, and see how much of a pig that is to put right...!
I dont know how much work Chris had to do on his Uk diamond green oval? maybe he will look in and say hello too! :d

15 years ago
Halleluya!!

I always said this was the adults forum!!

Ovalbug/Nessy, Isn't it just nice to see all these cars still alive.

I think my cars worth £4k

Sure it's got some rust issues, but there must be only a handfull UK RHD cars (if that) that haven't.

Come and take a look at her

Those pictures were taken straight after I pulled her out of storage and still have 27 years of road poo under the arches.

Anyway, didn't realise she would cause so must controversy so hopefully you'll see me driving her at a vintage show next year.

http://www.hannoverheritage.co.uk 
"Restorer's of classic Volkswagens"

My babies:
59' Vert
62' 23 window samba
67' Westfalia
68' Westfalia
68' Delux microbus
70' Westfalia
70' Stingray Corvette
77' Westfalia
88' T25 Panel
pre67vw
15 years ago

And for the record, an unwelded lhd complete driving oval with an interior as good as the 56 would not be worth less than £2k Rob, as you know having recently searched for one.

mrsherbie wrote:

It might sound odd, but I actually struggled to find a lhd oval - they all seemed to be rhd (although mostly imports).

I personally don't think it's worth £4k, I only consider unwelded to be valuable if the car is solid and doesn't actually need welding, otherwise you still have a big welding bill to add to it. But I also don't get excited over 'UK' cars, or put much value into number plates - but thats just me and my opinion.

Volkswagen Weddings can advertise their car for whatever they believe it's worth, and if they get it then they would have been right.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I know what you mean, there do seem to have been quite a few rhd imports about this year, and I am the same as you, not really fussed about the uk car thing myself, although I like plates :oops: :lol:

But still plates out on the open market nothing to do with vw's have a value, and that plate being a 3 letter 2 no. is a £2k plate at least. Likewise ovals have a market value and any driving complete half tidy stock oval is worth £2k before you factor in a nice useable interior.
Also welding up a previously unwelded/messed with car takes far less time and is far more likely to end up with perfect gaps and a better finish in less time than a car with old repairs/panels replaced already, so there is a saving.

There is far less gamble in this car than buying an £8k(double) splitbus right now, as buses are on the slide, and beetles on the rise in popularity again ( albeit slow!)

And a proper clean truly rustfree unwelded uk oval that looks nice is going to cost more than £4k! although that will buy you the same rustfree post57 car.

Interestingly this is another uk rhd 55 pic pinched from the samba so I hope he does'nt mind! with the identical spare wheel issue and after a lovely repair!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Ovalbug
15 years ago
I really hope that the green oval does eventually find a good home and it gets the treatment it deserves, I love it and have no issue with the car or the owner.....:wink:
Personally I just don't see it currently worth £4k, but hey the seller can decide what he wants for it or to whom he sells.....
My car isn't perfect and I'm sure areas of grot will reveal themselves once the car is systematically taken apart , my point of posting on the forum *that cannot be named* :lol: , was simply that I bought a solid rhd '53 for half what the green oval seller is asking......albeit 17 months ago!

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I do think you got a winner with your 53 Ovalbug!! :d And if it were today, I think it would be selling for at least a £1000 or more than then. Similarly Gertie, the lovely brown oval!

Have you found out how many uk 53's there are left yet?

It is worth mentioning though that prices have changed a bit since a year ago, I know we are now in heavier financial times, but during this year there has been a noticeable shift of people looking for beetles instead of buses again. A year or 3 ago beetle prices were absolutely on the floor. Not the case now.
Soon people will be importing beetles from USA again like they were back in the late 80's/90's instead of buses that have ruled imports for the last 6-8? years!

And as just 1 person pointed out over there, £4k is HARDLY the biggest financial risk anyone ever took on a car! :lol: My daily has depreciated more than that much in the last 2yrs alone.

SO, I decided to search the V** classifieds for UK RHD OVALS that have been advertised for sale on there, for comparison, on the basis that just about everyone on there are saying such cars are ten a penny!! :roll: (apart from only a couple of people who actually DO OWN a comparable original UK OVAL)
I looked back as far as JAN 08 (before I got bored!) and did not turn up even 1 single oval that still had 97% of its original parts, wings, panels, interior and og number plate for UNDER £4k..!?? :shock: :lol: :beer:

YES, LOTS of cheap projects, or very incomplete cars with no wings included or restored cars with welding done, incorrect parts and or commonly, repro wings fitted ( real wings alone add £1k to all these cars remember)
(And a couple of superb real bargain lefties and rhd OZ cars, but we cannot include these)

Even on the directly linked readers ride thread, there are plenty of wrong cars that are not comparable or not sold recently enough to be comparable, except just 1 fully restored uk standard ( non oval wings though I think)

Also, it seems to me that the original guy looking is being completely realistic (unlike most of the other people posting on there giving 'advice' :roll: ) and also he has the skills to get together a great car that needs a bit of welding doing in his own garage for under £8k even on a £4k base car.
Look at some of the much later piles of rust that people are 'restoring' who are going to end up spending well over £8k (although they might not realise it yet!) only to end up with a very average welded up to death with gsf cheap panels pile of a vw with zero rarity or long term added value. People are 'restoring' rusty old British 1303's for Cliffs sake!!
So good Luck to him whatever he buys! :d

Now I am off to have a well earned sleep on the sofa following my daughters 20hr party/sleepover for 9 very hectic 10yr old girls :shock:

GKL 7
15 years ago
Who's Cliff?

One thing to bare in mind 'tho,Rust is always at LEAST three times worse than it outwardly appears.We've all had a go at that tiny stone chip that ends up the size of a 50p.
I'm not saying the car is not worth the asking price but there is a fair amount of work IF it's going to be done right.
I personally would not pay the asking price because i see no advantage in the car being RHD,i could pick up a LHD car of the same age and condition for a third of the price.
And possibly strange to some prefare my old Volkswagens LHD.
Last Triumph
15 years ago

Also, it seems to me that the original guy looking is being completely realistic (unlike most of the other people posting on there giving 'advice' :roll: ) and also he has the skills to get together a great car that needs a bit of welding doing in his own garage for under £8k even on a £4k base car.
Look at some of the much later piles of rust that people are 'restoring' who are going to end up spending well over £8k (although they might not realise it yet!) only to end up with a very average welded up to death with gsf cheap panels pile of a vw with zero rarity or long term added value. People are 'restoring' rusty old British 1303's for Cliffs sake!!
So good Luck to him whatever he buys! :d

mrsherbie wrote:

Thank you.
The thread got a bit out of hand to be honest, and in hindsight, it probably wasn't such a good idea posting pics of someone else's car on a public forum, for which I have apologised. I am not an expert on Ovals and was tying to find out what the market value might be.
I've only just discovered this forum - it's nice to see there is still plenty of people dedicated to preserving these cars how they left the factory, something that very much appeals to me.
My seach continues for an early unmolestered car that can be used as a rolling resto.
All the best.
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Who's Cliff?

'50 Karmann wrote:

Sorry fell into a Young Ones moment :oops: :lol:

Yes, I am sure there will be some hidden rust to be found, and I will always opt for Left over rust also, but at the same time I see the appeal the special uk car thing :d

Last Triumph, I am sure your perfect car will pop up. I would'nt worry, I dont think you have done the diamond car any harm at all, it is what it is, a proper good honest British old age pensioner! :d In fact I think your thread was probably pretty educational for lots of people who read it.
I also realise most people rarely agree with me (most of the time!) :lol:

Anna :d
Ovalbug
15 years ago

I do think you got a winner with your 53 Ovalbug!! :d And if it were today, I think it would be selling for at least a £1000 or more than then. Similarly Gertie, the lovely brown oval!

Have you found out how many uk 53's there are left yet?

It is worth mentioning though that prices have changed a bit since a year ago, I know we are now in heavier financial times, but during this year there has been a noticeable shift of people looking for beetles instead of buses again. A year or 3 ago beetle prices were absolutely on the floor. Not the case now.
Soon people will be importing beetles from USA again like they were back in the late 80's/90's instead of buses that have ruled imports for the last 6-8? years!

mrsherbie wrote:

Mmm, food for thought there Anna; really thought that what I'd paid was the going rate, didn't know I'd bought an appreciating asset :lol: .
Not that I'd sell it , had wanted an oval for years before getting my hands on it...
Haven't discovered yet how many UK '53s are around, a shame there isn't an oval register!
I know there has been talk on The Samba about one but a register of OG British cars would be just as interesting/worthwhile IMHO!

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
55Kab
15 years ago

Interestingly this is another uk rhd 55 pic pinched from the samba so I hope he does'nt mind! with the identical spare wheel issue and after a lovely repair!

mrsherbie wrote:

My first post here (must be turning to the 'other' Dark Side!!!:lol: )

Of course I don't mind Anna and for your info that wheel well will soon have a lovely repair - see pic below!:d

UserPostedImage

Oh, and you should start a UK Oval registery:wink: Long overdue is that.