vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
Hello can anybody help i have just bourght a new front window rubber and its realy stiff and very very hard to fit on to the glass i have soacked the rubber in hot water as per instructed by the seller but still having problems geting it on the glass would anybody no how to supple the rubber any tricks or tips would be good

please
thanks
paul
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
Anyone got any ideas at all

please
Judson53
15 years ago
im no expert,having never done it,but maby some silcon grease or somthing similar might help,but as i say i havent tryed it
Boris1966
15 years ago
Hi there,
i too have not fitted rubber to windows but if you rub some "fairy liquid" around the rubber it will make it easier to slide into place?
good luck :)
Leane:d
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Hi, I have done quite a few now, you need to warm up everything really, hot water is not ideal as then you are playing with wet rubber and also potentially trapping water in the groove where it will struggle to escape once fitted.
If you are in the garage, get some heaters on, get it nice and warm in there, this job is made harder than usual doing it in Jan!
Leave it on a radiator for a while, but it will cool quick if the garage is not warm. It is not an outside job at this time of the year. You will only break the glass trying.

1. Get someone to help tap it in. A screen is a 2 person job.

2. Get the right type of cord not string so that
A. you dont cut the rubbers and
B. the cord does'nt break mid job.

3. Use KY jelly, it really is the best for the job! washing up liquid is messy and salty and will do the job but depends how much you care about what goes on under your rubbers after they are fitted.

This recent thread from the Samba is REALLY useful!

samba windscreen fitting link 

(ps. Also always worth double checking the rubber you have been sold itself is the correct year one. They are very easy items for less knowledgeable parts suppliers staff to get mixed up! :d)
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Etzhold1
15 years ago
Put the rubber in a pillow protector (or how do you call these things) and put it in a wash/dryer ! It will be more flexible then ! I'm doing that with recliners aswell !
But Like Anna already told you, check if you have the correct rubber for your window !
If you have already problems putting the rubber arround the window, then it will be a hell of a job to get the trim in there !Why are people not buying standard beetles ??:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guido

vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
To all thats just replied to the window question thankyou all for your help because it realy has , im glad to say that at long last well about 3 days i have just managed to get the front windscreen in. to be honest the car came with cal rubbers and to be right its not what i like so i bought a full set of ome german rubbers and chrome trim but after endless attemps and £230 later i ended up puting a cal front rubber back in and calling it a day, as after trying to install the rubber it just didnt look as if there was enough rubber to sit over the grove on the inside of the car. so people you could be right about being sent the wrong ones however they all say 58- 64 on them and they came from a very good supplier in the uk . well thats a lot of money wasted looks like i will have to sell the set on.

thanks all once again
paul