cupa65
  • cupa65
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi everyone

Thought I would share a few of my discoveries whilst working on my new 65 Beetle. Car has original paint, engine, gearbox , interior and beam. So has never been welded or painted. Wheel arches were covered in underseal so i set about removing with Jizer. Bad move, best way is use flat blade chisel and mallet! Find a raw edge and tap, underseal will flake off in decent size chunks.

What I discovered when the underseal was removed was paint runs, bad spot welds with spelches or spikes, thin paint so you see primer and areas where there was no top coat at all. The front bulkhead is also thin on paint.

Puts a whole new slant on "factory fresh!"

See thin paint to right of bottom wing bolt and in front of torsion bar.  IMG_1594.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1593.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1599.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1596.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
14 years ago
Welcome to the forum... 😎

What I discovered when the underseal was removed was paint runs, bad spot welds with spelches or spikes, thin paint so you see primer and areas where there was no top coat at all. The front bulkhead is also thin on paint.

cupa65 wrote:

This is a car that is now 44 years old, I'd settle for runs and bad spot welds over big rust holes any day! Got any pics?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
cupa65
  • cupa65
14 years ago
Hi

Will email you some pics. Not complaining just an observation, car generally spot on 😎
pre67vw
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

cupa65 wrote:

Great condition! Amazing!! 😎
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
cupa65
  • cupa65
14 years ago

Great condition! Amazing!! 😎

pre67vw wrote:

If you look closely at the front torsion bar you can see the build number stamp in white. All 4 wheel arches are the same. Apart from a 8 x 2 inch strip of corrosion where wing butts to body it's almost rust free. Suspected reason for rust is lack of top coat. OSR has primer only in this same location!
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Please post more pictures! You don't find many as rust-free as that!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.