daveangel
15 years ago
Hi all, my front U.S spec bumper on my '61 is bent/dented so time to get a new one. I see VW heritage do the Brazillian ones for £76 and the good ones at £419. That's obviously a big difference! Living in the UK of course they are going to get rained on (although that said, the car probably won't go out in the rain too much). Is it possible to purchase the cheaper ones and paint the inside of the curve with hammerite etc and then treat the chrome somehow? Is there some kind of wax or anodising or something!!!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
harveypj
15 years ago
I know some people buy the cheaper ones and have them re-chromed, To re-chrome a plane blade bumper you are looking at around £80 and I'd guess another £50 to do the over riders and rails.

I'd opt for stainless steel (£269 for a pair of complete U.S spec from the 'Harrington shine' range)

https://www.groupharrington.com/shine 
Stock......the new custom
mrsherbie
15 years ago
The only thing about Harringtons, made in Vietnam, so far the bus bumpers I have seen in the metal have been FAR from accurate to original shape. I can see just from the site that the beetle bumpers, the towelrails and also the over-riders are the wrong shape! The very cheap repro ones available over here also have incorrect towelrails. The Wolfsburg West repro's I believe are the most accurate available. (Or we might have a genuine good used one, will look)

Wolfsburg West 
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrsherbie
15 years ago

I see VW heritage do the Brazillian ones for £76 and the good ones at £419.
Is it possible to purchase the cheaper ones and paint the inside of the curve with hammerite etc and then treat the chrome somehow?

daveangel wrote:

The Brazillian ones are rubbish, even if you paint inside them, the chrome will rust within the year even on a car garaged most of the time! with constant wax/polish. Many years ago I had some and threw them away after a year as they looked a mess.
I would guess as Heritage do sell many WW parts that these are the ones I mentioned above. Ask them, they will tell you, Heritage are honest, if so maybe well worth the £ buying from Heritage as they are not small/light weight to ship in direct anyway so it might well be cheaper this way.!
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann