lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago
Personally despite thinking "Ovaltine" is wrong in thinking the '38 should have been left as it was found, I also think the villification of his opinion is over the top.

In isolation it's just an opinion and I think if it have been voiced 18 months ago on The Samba people would have discussed it a little more rationally...but that was when it was sitting in the weeds. The fact that by now everybody is thoroughly sick of the argument and that the decision to restored has long been accepted, hasn't helped.

Also what hasn't helped is the guy's apparent negative attitude generally so perhaps he's a grumpy old man like me.

Come on...lighten up...it's just another opinion, I can't wait for his next grumpy outburst.:d
John.
Ovaltine
13 years ago

To Ovaltine - I really don't get why you continue to do this, the VW38 is in the worlds best possible hands - even VW themselves wouldn't be able to restore it this well and they certainly wouldn't have kept it as it was found. You are losing respect of everyone on the site faster than the VW38 is getting restored, please don't share your opinion with us any further Ive had enough now. Take a break, lurk for a while and maybe come back when you have a more positive attitude. Thanks.

pre67vw wrote:

Well, firstly thanks for a being polite pre67vw, which is nice on a forum. Maybe I'm a little direct with my comments, but having said that they are views on a subject and part of discussion for the forum, which is surely what its for:? I do not post crude remarks (not intentionally) or bad language, but I will bear in mind your comments when posting in future. I also remember that this site is all down to your time and hard work, and I certainly respect that and enjoy the privilege of using it:beer:

As far as the Grundman's VW38 is concerned, not everyone else here has considered the reconstruction to be the best way. Standard split,48RME and I think a couple of others expressed the same view on an earlier discussion about it and much the same response came back :

Hello Standard split,
it is funny that you call our 38 an replica - so you have no idea what is orginal on the 38 from the factory and the hitler cab.
Our 38 has an orginal chassis from a 38, the ONLY orgianl doors from 38 , the back decklit, half the front lit, the complet roof, the complet back out and insides, on orginal steering wheel, an engine from 1939 a gearbox from 38,back orginal 38 bumper,... and so this car is a replica ?
The factory 38 was "restaured " about 1950 by useing a NOS split - so they took the orginal back window , the back lid and the orginal 38 dash and put it in the NOS body.

fantakid wrote:

In contrast to the politeness from our administrator, I have to contend with horrid remarks from this person:[-x

...like yourself, he is an annoying idiot.

'50 Karmann wrote:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Ovaltine
13 years ago

ovaltines very own words....

...I love my old Bug, but its a 1970 and a scruffy one at that, its certainly far from perfect

enough said really

69project wrote:

Its mine and I love it, and I've kept it for rather longer than 5 minutes, and not lowered either:wink:

I never thought I'd be sticking up for Ovaltine, but is this comment really fair? There's nothing wrong with having and loving a scruffy '70.

pre67vw wrote:

Well, thanks again :beer:

Ovaltine
13 years ago

....Also what hasn't helped is the guy's apparent negative attitude generally so perhaps he's a grumpy old man like me.

Come on...lighten up...it's just another opinion, I can't wait for his next grumpy outburst.:d

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Good grief, just how did you arrive at that:shock:
But anyway, thanks, I'm glad someone looks forward to my efforts8)
GKL 7
13 years ago

I have to contend with horrid remarks from this person

Ovaltine wrote:

Oh!poor little you boo hoo.
Ovaltine
13 years ago

Oh!poor little you boo hoo.

'50 Karmann wrote:

For heaven's sake, you really are becoming a damn pain, just go away
Ovaltine
13 years ago
Apologies to everybody else:roll:

Ovaltine
13 years ago
Last word on the VW38 goes to 48 RME:beer:

.... I would have liked to see the VW38 left as found, an 'ugly' survivor full of unfortunate yet historic updates, where a few crucial 1938-only details would have still stood out. Once beautifully finished - and I have no doubt it will be painstakingly faultless in its accuracy - you won't be able to tell what's original from what's been remade. It's all debatable but I think I prefer to see the untouched historic evidence stand out, even if there are only fragments of it.

48REME wrote:

GKL 7
13 years ago

Take a break, lurk for a while and maybe come back when you have a more positive attitude. Thanks.

pre67vw wrote:

Guess those words fell on stoney ground.
I've been here 5 years,you 6 months and you're telling me to go away:?: :?
Ovaltine
13 years ago

I've been here 5 years,you 6 months and you're telling me to go away:?: :?

'50 Karmann wrote:

And I've driven Beetles since the late 1970's. You don't even seem to have a classic VW :shock:

And why is about half of all my posts immediately followed by one yours:?
pre67vw
13 years ago

And why is about half of all my posts immediately followed by one yours:?

Ovaltine wrote:

I think because every post you invite some contraversy and George is happy to oblige...

Not difficult is it?:roll:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
13 years ago
In 1958 i took my first ride in a VW,i was on my way home from maternity hospital:lol:I was 3 days old.It was a 1957 split screen panel van,I grew up with always at least one Volkswagen in the garage,my father had a passion for them.
When i was 16 years old i purchased my first old VW,a 1954 deluxe oval,that was in 1974.
After this i purchased a '52 Standard sunroof,a year later a '53 Zwitter.
Since then i have owned a 1951 deluxe CC split,a '52 deluxe sunroof CC split,a 1947 CCG beetle and lastly a 1950 Karmann Kabriolett.
And i can assure you,you do not own a classic VW either.Not by what you have already told us.
My posts always closely follow yours, because on every occassion you take to your keyboard here, you either insult or offend someone and most of the time the person offended is someone i know,so i am naturally going to stick up for that person,rather than a total offensive stranger,who insists on remaining anonymous.
I have had several e-mails from other members here asking,and i put this far more politely than it was asked of me,who's the idiot???
So Ovaltine,if you want to remain offensive,why hide?Stand by your words.Come out from behind the handle.Identify yourself.Maybe then if it's a recognised name,you may be taken seriously.But i doubt it.
There again, it might all be Bullshit,you know like you coming around to excavate my garden,that didn't happen either did it:roll:
I'm behind you:twisted: :lol:

55Kab
13 years ago
Bloody hell ^^^ that's a good story and some serious vintage tin. Have you got a photo of the 54 Oval?

Oh and Ovaltine...I think you'll find that when another special car comes along that takes George's fancy you'll see him in another vintage VW. In fact we're all waiting for that but because the car that George wants doesn't come up very often, we may need to wait a little while... :wink:

WayneMcCarthy
13 years ago

In 1958 i took my first ride in a VW,i was on my way home from maternity hospital:lol:I was 3 days old.It was a 1957 split screen panel van,I grew up with always at least one Volkswagen in the garage,my father had a passion for them.
When i was 16 years old i purchased my first old VW,a 1954 deluxe oval,that was in 1974.
After this i purchased a '52 Standard sunroof,a year later a '53 Zwitter.
Since then i have owned a 1951 deluxe CC split,a '52 deluxe sunroof CC split,a 1947 CCG beetle and lastly a 1950 Karmann Kabriolett.
And i can assure you,you do not own a classic VW either.Not by what you have already told us.
My posts always closely follow yours, because on every occassion you take to your keyboard here, you either insult or offend someone and most of the time the person offended is someone i know,so i am naturally going to stick up for that person,rather than a total offensive stranger,who insists on remaining anonymous.
I have had several e-mails from other members here asking,and i put this far more politely than it was asked of me,who's the idiot???
So Ovaltine,if you want to remain offensive,why hide?Stand by your words.Come out from behind the handle.Identify yourself.Maybe then if it's a recognised name,you may be taken seriously.But i doubt it.
There again, it might all be Bullshit,you know like you coming around to excavate my garden,that didn't happen either did it:roll:
I'm behind you:twisted: :lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Well Said George , You Don't have to Justify your self to Anyboby ! You & Your Car's Speak for Themselve's , It's Great to See Post's from someone as Knowledgeable about VW's as You.

"Mr Stock"
mrsherbie
13 years ago

Oh and Ovaltine...I think you'll find that when another special car comes along that takes George's fancy you'll see him in another vintage VW. In fact we're all waiting for that but because the car that George wants doesn't come up very often so we may need to wait a little while... :wink:

55Kab wrote:

YES he is a fussy old ( in a cool rocking kind of way) fart for sure! :lol:

I think because every post you invite some contraversy and George is happy to oblige...

pre67vw wrote:

:lol: :lol: True! :lol: and there is some irony as both of you are far more strict regarding stock correctness than most of us, so in some respects have a lot in common :shock: :lol: ( Gawd, I just know I am going to regret writing this :shock: :lol: )

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
13 years ago

so in some respects have a lot in common

mrsherbie wrote:

We can always rely on you Anna:roll: :wink:
I heart Mrs Herbie:lol:
48REME
13 years ago

I've no doubt about the Grundman's skills.
But the very important historically VW38 would have been far better preserved as found in an environmentally controlled glass case. In fact, the car should have been purchased by the government for a national museum – its far too important to Germany's motoring history to have been 'restored' into a private collection. The Grundmann's could still build their replica VW38 as most everything they've used including the chassis has nothing to do with the particular car found. They've done a fantastic job, but they've lost the original car now.:wink:

Ovaltine wrote:

I think you'll find a slightly more diplomatic approach to my arguments in so that I'm only expressing a personal impression rather than stating what 'should be' or 'should have' been done by the Grundmann family.
What I said was done with a lot of reserve since it is a sensitive subject; Knowing how much the Grundmann family have poured their heart, knowledge and soul into this project, I am extremely happy that this car ends up in their hands, they deserve to have this amongst their extraordinary collection which we are fortunate enough to enjoy every time there is a show in Hessisch Oldendorf. I have personal views with respect to how the found relic could have initially been handled but if it is going down the route of restoration, then I think that what they are doing is great and no one can do it better.
Again, as with Standard Split, it is the tone of your conversation and sweeping statements about what one should do or not do which is offensive. Compare my original text next to yours, I think you'll see it's quite different even if we may agree on some aspects of the issue.
So please, don't drag me down as your 'pal' to back your comment that has sparked quite some unhappy reactions by the sounds of it. I don't like that sort of thing, thank you very much.

my original remark:
.... I would have liked to see the VW38 left as found, an 'ugly' survivor full of unfortunate yet historic updates, where a few crucial 1938-only details would have still stood out. Once beautifully finished - and I have no doubt it will be painstakingly faultless in its accuracy - you won't be able to tell what's original from what's been remade. It's all debatable but I think I prefer to see the untouched historic evidence stand out, even if there are only fragments of it.
Ovaltine
13 years ago

Oh and Ovaltine...I think you'll find that when another special car comes along that takes George's fancy you'll see him in another vintage VW. In fact we're all waiting for that but because the car that George wants doesn't come up very often, we may need to wait a little while... :wink:

55Kab wrote:

Come on 55 Kab, what's he waiting for, Splits, Ovals, Schwimmers, Kubels and just about everything else are up for sale on the web regularly. Is he waiting for the Grundman's to finish the VW38, or is it a Hebmuller he wants (there's a few here after that one), or maybe your smashing Kab when you've completed. I rekon he's just skint and a dreamer:roll:

Ovaltine
13 years ago

...don't drag me down as your 'pal' to back your comment that has sparked quite some unhappy reactions by the sounds of it. I don't like that sort of thing, thank you very much.

48REME wrote:

Whats this drag me down? Okay different approach to the subject, but same ending wanted: VW38 preserved as found, not lost in a reconstruction. We're not alone in this view…

...Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic it's being restored and the HO team are carrying out a truely amazing job but given all this, a little bit of me feels that it would have been better to fully reconstuct a 38 lookalike given one already exists in the VW Museum and left this original as it was found. It's one of those debates that will run and run and never end.

55Kab wrote:

Now the VW38 is well into 'restoration' there is even less of it left than when found. Its merely an illusion now :!:

Standard split wrote:

And I'm sure there are others here. Maybe a pre67 poll would be rather interesting:wink:

lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago

Come on 55 Kab, what's he waiting for, Splits, Ovals, Schwimmers, Kubels and just about everything else are up for sale on the web regularly. Is he waiting for the Grundman's to finish the VW38, or is it a Hebmuller he wants (there's a few here after that one), or maybe your smashing Kab when you've completed. I rekon he's just skint and a dreamer:!:

Ovaltine wrote:

The first rule when you find yourself in a hole is?

I think most people here know the answer but I'm not sure you do.

I know one of the kind of Vintage VWs "50 Karmann" is looking for and they're not the kind of car that pops up everyday.

What is it...you don't need to know.
John.