Old Beetle
10 years ago
Hello Pre. '67 VW,

I was directed here by the Herts VW club as no-one there could help.

I feel a slight fraud in that, at present, I don't own a VW, though I do drive a Skoda Octavia. Back in the '70's, however, I owned a 1961 Bettle, 356 DBM (named BeetleBack!) bought from a scrapyard in Hitchin and, at first, in pretty ropey condition; when I drove it away the steering was incredibly sloppy because, I discovered later, the flexible joint in the column was reduced to a ball of rags!

What I'm interested to discover, and I hope somebody here might help, is the name of the Hitchin VW dealer then. The premises were I think on Payne's Park on the site where the Cooper's Yard flats have now been built. Bizarrely someone I know now lives in one of those.

If anyone here remembers the name of that VW garage, where I bought many parts for 356 DBM, I'd be very interested to be reminded; there seems to be no record that I can find anywhere on the internet.

Thanks and best wishes

Hugh
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
10 years ago

Hello Pre. '67 VW,

I was directed here by the Herts VW club as no-one there could help.

I feel a slight fraud in that, at present, I don't own a VW, though I do drive a Skoda Octavia. Back in the '70's, however, I owned a 1961 Bettle, 356 DBM (named BeetleBack!) bought from a scrapyard in Hitchin and, at first, in pretty ropey condition; when I drove it away the steering was incredibly sloppy because, I discovered later, the flexible joint in the column was reduced to a ball of rags!

What I'm interested to discover, and I hope somebody here might help, is the name of the Hitchin VW dealer then. The premises were I think on Payne's Park on the site where the Cooper's Yard flats have now been built. Bizarrely someone I know now lives in one of those.

If anyone here remembers the name of that VW garage, where I bought many parts for 356 DBM, I'd be very interested to be reminded; there seems to be no record that I can find anywhere on the internet.

Thanks and best wishes

Hugh

Old Beetle wrote:

That was me! If anyone remembers, then this lot will...

www.vwoval.co.uk
pre67vw
10 years ago
I know this is a fairly old thread, but hopefully you'll get an email notification about this update.

My MOT man used to work there in the 70's, he still has his certificate up on the wall from 40 years ago!

The VW dealer's name in Hitchin was Burr Brothers.  IMG_1351_s.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW